how do people port PC games/ games from more powerfull systems/handhelds to 3DS

Olimar101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really want to somehow port Mario Kart Arcade Grand Prix Deluxe to 3DS. I think it would be a little fun project that I and others will enjoy, but how do people do stuff like that. If you know a lot stuff about this topic, please dont start harrasing I dont know anything about almost everything. This game, I used to play it at my locale barcade a lot when I was a kid but since I moved from my home country and settled in the country most place's that have the game are far away and I dont to find a place that has it that is more than a hour away .I need to know how stuff like this works before I port the game.

NoNoNeko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've got to start with reverse engineering the source code, I'm not super sure if there's any effort already being made for MKA. Maybe a better/easier option would be working on a rom hack for Mario Kart 7 to port over the exclusive stuff from Mario Kart Arcade?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
People typically either have the source or reverse engineer the game's engine then optimize it to make run on the 3DS. To get a game like Mario Kart Arcade Grand Prix Deluxe working, we would need either the source or someone willing to make an engine to run it. Your best bet is to hope someone makes a ROM hack of Mario Kart 7. Projects like these would take months if not years to accomplish, so do take that into consideration as to why this hasn't happened.

Oldyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I really want to somehow port Mario Kart Arcade Grand Prix Deluxe to 3DS. I think it would be a little fun project that I and others will enjoy, but how do people do stuff like that. If you know a lot stuff about this topic, please dont start harrasing I dont know anything about almost everything. This game, I used to play it at my locale barcade a lot when I was a kid but since I moved from my home country and settled in the country most place's that have the game are far away and I dont to find a place that has it that is more than a hour away .I need to know how stuff like this works before I port the game.
endo 3DS and the citra emulator....
Hello friend-

question, you like the nintendo 3DS because of the stereo 3D effect?

as much as i like the nintendo 3DS and the citra emulator....

if you are a fan of 3D, i think the best option is to use a Lume pad or Lume pad 2 for 3D gaming and 3D game porting/developing...

In a few years its going to be really expensive to repair a nintendo 3DS, citra is caput for a while, 3D monitors or screens are rare and expensive....

stereo 3D support for video cards is almost gone, VR is limited, opengl stereoscopic compatibility is rare to none-existent(especially for some emulators)

unless nintendo makes a 3D switch, i don't see other option... but to support things like lume pad

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello friend-

question, you like the nintendo 3DS because of the stereo 3D effect?

as much as i like the nintendo 3DS and the citra emulator....

if you are a fan of 3D, i think the best option is to use a Lume pad or Lume pad 2 for 3D gaming and 3D game porting/developing...

In a few years its going to be really expensive to repair a nintendo 3DS, citra is caput for a while, 3D monitors or screens are rare and expensive....

stereo 3D support for video cards is almost gone, VR is limited, opengl stereoscopic compatibility is rare to none-existent(especially for some emulators)

unless nintendo makes a 3D switch, i don't see other option... but to support things like lume pad
What relevance does something like this? a what. 500$ program. have to do with someone making a basic inquiry about porting?

Oldyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, i am just curious about OP's thoughts on why develop for the 3DS,
personally i love the machine, but its limitations and the fact that its not going to last long (analogue stick is going bad, screen will go bad in few years)

i can see it from the challenge angle, to actually have a beloved game on the portable its a feat, even without 3D effect....

but at the end of the day, as the years go on , 3DS owners will be less and less.

the way i see it , the only benefit of developing games on the 3DS is the chance to see a classic title , be it sprite based (sega gigadrive type) or poly based -in 3D stereoscopic mode, with the actual hardware, or for the emulator (emulator focused development can bring a better experience - sort of like mario 64 online that has features that only an emulator can do)...
but emulation is uncertain, if companies gain more power and control, it may be very difficult in a near future....

however, in my opinion - if a person is going to spend so much time re-making or porting a classic game, might as well do it for a more modern 3D device that actually has modern and more accessible development tools...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto