Hacking all iso "backups" I download are 4.37 gb

PaperBro64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I downloaded some iso "backups" and they all end up being 4.37 gb while the actual file size in the console is around 2 gb at most, did I do something wrong?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The "actual size" of a decrypted, proprietary-Wii-format, single-layer DVD is indeed approximately 4.37 GB, which is non-indicative of the size of the meaningful data that disc contains (and various unofficial formats omit those in different ways)

For more information: http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Save_Disk_Space_for_ISOs

PaperBro64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The "actual size" of a decrypted, proprietary-Wii-format, single-layer DVD is indeed approximately 4.37 GB, which is non-indicative of the size of the meaningful data that disc contains (and various unofficial formats omit those in different ways)

For more information: http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Save_Disk_Space_for_ISOs
Hmm, ok, so I have a 4 gb flash drive and I expected the game to be the actual size so is there no way I can play the game off my flash drive?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hmm, ok, so I have a 4 gb flash drive and I expected the game to be the actual size so is there no way I can play the game off my flash drive?
Every modern usb loader (configurable, wiiflow lite, gx, and even the original wiiflow) supports WBFS so just convert the games to that format beforehand :)

(wbfs the file format, not the outdated filesystem)

(also worth warning you in advance that flash drives are not ideal, compatibility and endurance wise, on the Wii)

PaperBro64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Every modern usb loader (configurable, wiiflow lite, gx, and even the original wiiflow) supports WBFS so just convert the games to that format beforehand :)

(wbfs the file format, not the outdated filesystem)

(also worth warning you in advance that flash drives are not ideal, compatibility and endurance wise, on the Wii)
would an sdhc be better?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
would an sdhc be better?
I am very satisfied by having everything on the internal SD indeed, or you could use an external reader, but as long as it works reliably* it's not a big deal

*all USB drives until this decade used the generic USB Mass Storage protocol, newer ones may also support "USB Attached SCSI" but the Wii doesn't support that and will use the older implementation, so on paper they're all equal but... and therefore compatibility and reliability are hard to predict through reasoning

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"and therefore compatibility and reliability are hard to predict through reasoning"
That's true of any product, including (especially) hard drives. I'm aware others have had issues. Every USB flash drive I have thrown at my Wii has worked perfect and continues to do so to this day. Hard drives? Not so much. Had a backup Seagate FreeAgent 1.5TB drive with WBFS files on it die in February.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

If you intend to use USBloader GX (v3.0 r1272) please do yourself a Favor and spare your Nerves:
Please use a HDD formatted with FAT32.:)

Maybe Wiiflow and Configurable USBLoader are not so "picky" with USB Sticks/Flashdrives/Thumb and Pen Drives.:huh:

But you can also use all Three USB Loaders if you like.

Thank you.:)

Reactions: jeannotte

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While I agree about using FAT32 (only because of Nintendont and Gamecube compatibility - otherwise use NTFS), there's no reason not to try any USB flash drive you might have lying around. It will either work the first time and keep working, or it won't and you can move on. But it is no more likely to fail after working than a hard drive.
#truth

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
While I agree about using FAT32 (only because of Nintendont and Gamecube compatibility - otherwise use NTFS), there's no reason not to try any USB flash drive you might have lying around. It will either work the first time and keep working, or it won't and you can move on. But it is no more likely to fail after working than a hard drive.
#truth

USB Sticks and "Companions" (Brands) are very depending on the cIOS/Revisions which his installed.:)
Same USB Stick works perfect on Wii A with d2x rev.21008 -v8 final but is not working on Wii B with the same cIOS.

You can Setup 5 "identical"Wii´s (which is nearly impossible" to get 5 really 100 Percent identically Wii´s...:D) in exact the same Way.
And you will have very different Results with USB Sticks,for sure.:)

.....after 3 Years,I do not longer use USB Sticks.I am very satisfied with them but with the last USBLoader GX Version only but "Troubles"....

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

@ PaperBro64:

Use wii backup manager ==>http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/downloads.html

1567361563-images.jpg

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

FancyNintendoGamer567

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, USB drives may not be 100% reliable, but not like HDDs are perfect either.
You shouldn't have to shell $50+ for an HDD just because USB drives aren't always reliable.
I recommend anyone at least a try or two their USBs before deciding for an HDD.
I have gotten success with USB drives before.
A good tip is that the older the USB, the better the chance it will work on the Wii.
Mostly because older USBs are usually made with USB 2.0 in mind, which is what the Wii has.
And even if your USBs don't work, if you only want one game or two, you can always use your SD card and WiiFlow Lite.
Sure, HDDs may have better reliability but it shouldn't always be the default answer for a question.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Sure, USB drives may not be 100% reliable, but not like HDDs are perfect either.
You shouldn't have to shell $50+ for an HDD just because USB drives aren't always reliable.
I recommend anyone at least a try or two their USBs before deciding for an HDD.
I have gotten success with USB drives before.
A good tip is that the older the USB, the better the chance it will work on the Wii.
Mostly because older USBs are usually made with USB 2.0 in mind, which is what the Wii has.
And even if your USBs don't work, if you only want one game or two, you can always use your SD card and WiiFlow Lite.
Sure, HDDs may have better reliability but it shouldn't always be the default answer for a question.

Our Wii Users,which seeks helps for their USB Issues,gets the safest and reliablest Solution - that is a HDD.

You can use cIOS 251[57] d2x v-10 beta53 -alt for USB loading and Gaming - sure it works.Is it recommended for USBLoaders ? No.:)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"and therefore compatibility and reliability are hard to predict through reasoning"
That's true of any product, including (especially) hard drives. I'm aware others have had issues. Every USB flash drive I have thrown at my Wii has worked perfect and continues to do so to this day. Hard drives? Not so much. Had a backup Seagate FreeAgent 1.5TB drive with WBFS files on it die in February.

There's your problem, you used a Seagate. I've used Western Digital HDDs on my Wii with perfect reliability *shrug*.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: