Homebrew About to buy New 3DS XL Hyrule Edition. Will I be able to downgrade?

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do not do this. Go through Plai's guide, and if you end up with a brick, walk back into the store and exchange it as defective. The minute you open the console, not only is your Nintendo warranty void but no store in their right mind will take it back for an exchange.

If you screw up your own console that you've intentionally gone out of your way to screw with, and know full well what might happen, own up to it. Hardmod it if need be, replace it if need be. Do not push it back on the store.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum but I'm curious as to what firmware these limited edition 3DSes come with. I know it won't be on the latest firmware obviously but is it safe to downgrade? I heard that many people got soft bricks even if they do everything right and I'm hoping that has now changed.

no matter what, it will at max be on 10.7 out of the factory for at least the next month or two. make sure you have A method to load homebrew on 10.6/10.7 incase you happen to get one with a version this high, however unlikely that is.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Anyone with morals wouldn't take it back to the store, anyone with morals would understand that it is THEIR responsibility if THEY mess up. The store / Nintendo, should not have to deal with a console that you broke while trying to pirate games anyhow.

returning or exchanging consoles (AND telling them it is broken) it a lot better of an idea then to throw a board in the trash (if you have no NAND backups) or to spend a lot of money sending it out to somebody.

when broken consoles come back to Nintendo, they fix them and sell them as new or refurbished units and can breathe life into an otherwise dead console.

I have no moral issues with that.

BUT returning or exchanging A console by lying to the store that it still works is wrong and can rob an otherwise innocent adult or child of A working system when they end up buying the console when it ends up back on the shelf.
if the console is not found out to be broken within 30 days (like a birthday gift), it cant be returned/exchanged and the person who receives it is stuck with a dead console because of you.

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I also have a question, I have a blue New 3DS XL on 9.6.0-24E, I installed a few legit cias and played them very much. I have the files on my SD card, after I format, will they still be there? That after I format I just quickly set up my system, install menuhax and downgrade? Thanks in advance!

atlboyz_247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also have a question, I have a blue New 3DS XL on 9.6.0-24E, I installed a few legit cias and played them very much. I have the files on my SD card, after I format, will they still be there? That after I format I just quickly set up my system, install menuhax and downgrade? Thanks in advance!

I can't say that I've formatted with the SD card in the console before, but if I remember correctly, I was advised against having the SD Card in the 3DS while formatting. Format the 3DS without the SD and you won't lose the files on the SD card HOWEVER I believe you will have a different profile id? so the installed CIAs won't be seen and will probably have to be reinstalled (also you should delete the older profile on your SD card if you can identify which one that is). Yes, you can downgrade after as well.

I'm missing the importance of the format though...why do you need to? You'll have to go through the process of of installing a hax again.

Last edited by atlboyz_247,

Damon_girl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I have my N3DS set up and the only thing I'm missing is a 64gb micro SD card. Another question I have is...am I able to put my O3DS emuNAND onto my N3DS? Like, can I move my emuNAND.bin created on my O3DS and put it on my N3DS using the EmuNAND9 tool?

atlboyz_247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I have my N3DS set up and the only thing I'm missing is a 64gb micro SD card. Another question I have is...am I able to put my O3DS emuNAND onto my N3DS? Like, can I move my emuNAND.bin created on my O3DS and put it on my N3DS using the EmuNAND9 tool?

I've done something like this recently, and it's possible. ALthough I used a more complex process due to previously using a Gateway. I believe you're going to have to create a new emuNAND on your 64gb SD card using EmuNAND9, backup your emuNAND from your Old3DS and restore the emuNAND onto your New3DS via EmuNAND9 (though I don't know the implications of using an Old3DS Nand with different code and values and such on a New 3DS and being a different console with different unique ids)... and copy the Nintendo 3DS folder from your old3ds sd card to the New 3DS to restore CIAs and such (I think...).

EDIT: I didn't read your post properly haha, I see that you're wondering the implications as well. I wouldn't recommend it since it seems like a grey area at the moment, and just install the CIAs again and transfer your saves from the O3DS via a save manager.

Last edited by atlboyz_247,

Damon_girl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done something like this recently, and it's possible. ALthough I used a more complex process due to previously using a Gateway. I believe you're going to have to create a new emuNAND on your 64gb SD card using EmuNAND9, backup your emuNAND from your Old3DS and restore the emuNAND onto your New3DS via EmuNAND9 (though I don't know the implications of using an Old3DS Nand with different code and values and such on a New 3DS and being a different console with different unique ids)... and copy the Nintendo 3DS folder from your old3ds sd card to the New 3DS to restore CIAs and such (I think...).

EDIT: I didn't read your post properly haha, I see that you're wondering the implications as well. I wouldn't recommend it since it seems like a grey area at the moment, and just install the CIAs again and transfer your saves from the O3DS via a save manager.
Okay. Thankfully I still have all of my cias stored on the computer, and I managed to extract most of my saves using JK's save manger, but for some reason it gave me an error when I tried to extract SSB extra data.

atlboyz_247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I may ask, what is the significance of the SSB extra data? Does it hold stages and characters that aren't recoverable? (Is it worth the effort I mean.)

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Just take it back if it goes Tits Up on the downgrade. Best one I did years ago was super gluing a console case when I botched up a mod chip install on a MB, so I glued the case back up. The guy wanted to check the insides and said "damm these screws are tight". It was hard to keep a straight face:rofl2:. Grabbed that refund and left as quick as I could.

Reactions: N7Kopper

Bats4bats

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got the Hyrule edition last week, came with 10.7fw. Follow the guide and there will be no problems. The biggest pain for me was forgetting to update my Oot for the N3ds so had to keep using the browserhax.
dont know if it was the machine or just a glitch but the downgrade borked and I had to do twice (found a few peeps online with same problem) after that is just keeping your fingers crossed and not caring about the brick-fix <g>

Damon_girl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the Hyrule edition last week, came with 10.7fw. Follow the guide and there will be no problems. The biggest pain for me was forgetting to update my Oot for the N3ds so had to keep using the browserhax.
dont know if it was the machine or just a glitch but the downgrade borked and I had to do twice (found a few peeps online with same problem) after that is just keeping your fingers crossed and not caring about the brick-fix <g>
Mine came with 9.9 and I'm going to downgrade as soon as I get a new micro SD card. Can't wait to move everything off of my O3DS to my N3DS! Will I be able to move Streetpass and Mii Plaza data too by using a save manager? I'm only asking because I read that some things are console specific and can't be moved.

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Mine came with 9.9 and I'm going to downgrade as soon as I get a new micro SD card. Can't wait to move everything off of my O3DS to my N3DS! Will I be able to move Streetpass and Mii Plaza data too by using a save manager? I'm only asking because I read that some things are console specific and can't be moved.
Do not forget to format your system AND your SD card before downgrading. Otherwise it may softbrick. Of course you have to put the files on the SD card again after you formatted. And DO NOT install any software, only the necessary files, like the homebrew starter kit, plaisysupdater and the 9.2 update files. With those precautions the only way you can brick is that your system crashes while instlling the NATIVE_FIRM

Damon_girl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do not forget to format your system AND your SD card before downgrading. Otherwise it may softbrick. Of course you have to put the files on the SD card again after you formatted. And DO NOT install any software, only the necessary files, like the homebrew starter kit, plaisysupdater and the 9.2 update files. With those precautions the only way you can brick is that your system crashes while instlling the NATIVE_FIRM
Okay. I did all of that. Got a new SD card and formatted it to FAT32, formatted my N3DS and put the necessary stuff on it, but I'm having an issue launching browserhax. I set the date back to January 1st 2000 and scanned the QR code on the guide linked in this thread but it still tells me to update. -.-

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Okay. I did all of that. Got a new SD card and formatted it to FAT32, formatted my N3DS and put the necessary stuff on it, but I'm having an issue launching browserhax. I set the date back to January 1st 2000 and scanned the QR code on the guide linked in this thread but it still tells me to update. -.-
Which version are you on? You also have to set the time to 0:00

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: New Orange Pi 🥰