Hacking Homebrew What does "You will not be able to use your NNID" mean when region changing 3ds?

IceYeti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm looking to buy a New 3DS LL and then region change it to English, but I'm confused about what you can't do after region changing it. The page on 3ds.hacks.guide says

If you change the region of your console:
  • You will not be able to use your NNID (if you have one). NNIDs are locked to the region that they were created in.
  • You may not be able to access the eShop, even if you delete your eShop account beforehand. This is because certain titles tend to remain linked to the 3DS, even after account deletion (especially on New 3DS).
    • While purchases can no longer be made on eShop, game updates can still be downloaded. Updates are usually required for online play.
    • This logic extends to system transfers, meaning you would not be able to perform a system transfer from a USA 3DS to a region-changed JPN-to-USA 3DS.
    • That being said, system transfer and game updates are region locked anyway (e.g. Japanese eShop only has Japanese game updates).
  • You will not be able to uninstall custom firmware without bricking the console! If you intend to uninstall custom firmware in the future, you MUST restore your NAND backup that was created before the region change.

I understand that I can't use the eshop but I'm unsure of what it means regarding the nnid. What functions are linked to the nnid and what won't I be able to do after region changing the 3ds?

Edit: I just asked someone on discord, it seems like everything should work basically the same except for some stuff tied to the eshop like pokemon bank, so I guess I'll just have to use pksm instead for that

Last edited by IceYeti,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this will not affect NNID if I do a region change without 2 consoles, correct?

With the eshop closed now there is really no need of usage of a NNID. If you wanted to access eshop after region changing you need another 3ds as the target region changed one original region, this would allows you to access eshop, create an nnid and use the eshop for like games update.

For example you need two Japanese 3ds if the system you were region changing was Japanese originally.

Last edited by Hayato213,

LukeGess0117

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the eshop closed now there is really no need of usage of a NNID. If you wanted to access eshop after region changing you need another 3ds as the target region changed one original region, this would allows you to access eshop, create an nnid and use the eshop for like games update.

For example you need two Japanese 3ds if the system you were region changing was Japanese originally.
I still want to have access to the NNID though... and I don't care about the eShop at all.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh really? So I guess I'd have to use 2 consoles then...
After you region change your 3ds you can still play online with or without a NNID (unless it's required like with Pokémon Bank), so stuff like trading in the GTS for Pokémon games etc. should work. Same for downloading game updates, obviously the region of the game you're using has to match the original region of your 3ds, and not the one you changed to iirc. Hope that helps!

Reactions: LukeGess0117

LukeGess0117

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you region change your 3ds you can still play online with or without a NNID (unless it's required like with Pokémon Bank), so stuff like trading in the GTS for Pokémon games etc. should work. Same for downloading game updates, obviously the region of the game you're using has to match the original region of your 3ds, and not the one you changed to iirc. Hope that helps!
Yep that is helpful thank you!

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto