1. fluffykiwi

fluffykiwi GBAtemp Fan

I'm in Erskine , Scotland , literally over the river Clyde from you (about a 15 minute bus journey), and the most expensive Switch game I've seen in any Game store is £59.99. and that is available for £42.00 or less online, with free delivery.

The most expensive game Nintendo sell themselves directly is currently Zelda BOTW for £59.99, with every other game being under £50.00. They also do free delivery with any order over £20.00.

You REALLY need to find different shops.

Maybe try going into Glasgow City Centre, Partick, Paisley, or Braehead.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    The thing is, publishers aren't using full 32GB cartridges, not because they're not required, but because they're too expensive. DOOM was 13GB, and still requires 9GB for multiplayer that you have to download. LA Noire requires a 14GB download. The NBA game requires a 10+GB download. Resident Evil: Revelations 1 & 2 requires 20+GB download if you buy the cartridge version, because only RE:R 1 was put on the cartridge.

The problem with using additional compression is load times/install times/resources. Take PC Repacks as an example, Fitgirl can take a 50GB game and compress it to 15GB, but it might take 3-5 hours to decompress the data and install, and that's if you have a decent PC. Nobody wants to wait hours for a game to install. And you can't just leave it compressed and decompress it on the fly, as that'd make load times much longer than usual and reduce the amount of resources the game itself could use.

3. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    If only the Switch supported external HDD like the Wii U did. And player could choose what to install to SD Card, internal memory, or the HDD.

I hate the switch for this.

4. fluffykiwi

fluffykiwi GBAtemp Fan

The price difference between Switch and other consoles for physical media is under £10.00 per title, at times it seems more than that, because people are comparing new Switch titles with other console versions that may have been released over a year previously. If you compare the release price of those games their price was usually much higher. There is a premium, but I feel it is well worth it simply for the portability factor alone.

I also personally prefer the Switch physical media because it does not usually require any large download before you can play the game. I want to be able to play directly from the cart. If the cart needs to download half a game before you can play it I'm not buying that game.

I'm not buying digital only games, even if they disguise it with a physical disk which basically acts like a copy protection dongle and simply enables you to install the game to your hard drive, often downloading the full game and ignoring the actual disc contents. I want a game I can play, not a licence that can be revoked whenever the publisher stops making money, loses interest or enforce their terms and conditions.

I'd therefore prefer a 64GB cart that is a bit more expensive, than either digital downloads or a smaller cart that requires half the game to be downloaded.

btw I also love having all my games installed on a single hard drive and playable without any physical media, which I know is in direct contradiction to what I buy. :) I like a pile of retail bought games and a console with versions playable from a large dedicated hard drive, preferable with a drive capable of holding almost all the games released for that console. :P

If, and possibly when, all games require huge downloads to play them I'll either move to exclusively pirating games, and just avoid consoles which have not been hacked, or maybe pick a single console and buy a lot less games.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  5. 330

330 Banned
    Banned

Nauru
    Too expensive? Is Nintendo using eMMC cards for their physical Switch games? Honest question.

6. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

United States
    Because the Switch has room for a Blu-ray drive

GamingAori likes this.
  7. 330

330 Banned
    Banned

Nauru
    Of course they did learn from Sony. Remember the UMD discs? PSP's battery life was awful because of it. Imagine mini discs on the Switch.

Fernando51 and fluffykiwi like this.
  8. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    I plan to buy 1st party games only on my switch so as long as at least Nintendo is using the bigger cards it's ok for me.

9. Subtle Demise

United States
    Lol it's Super Mario Bros. 3 all over again.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

But what about "performance"!? Even though much much weaker machines could handle on-the fly decompression.

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    That's around the same price as GameStop here. A local online store has games about 20% cheaper than GameStop (about 40-50 gbp I guess).
    I'm sure you can find them cheaper if you look around.

11. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Really ? :creep:

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Oh my, the saltiness in the thread over Nintendo this, and Nintendo that, it's very cathartic, thanks for the good laughs.

13. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    SWITCHable cartridges. :creep: Literally in the middle of Mario Odyssey it would go "Please insert Cart 2 to continue". :creep::creep::creep: And when you need to backtrack to a previous world you have to swap with Cart 1 again. :creep::creep::creep::creep::creep:

That would be awesome.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  14. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

United States
    Woah there Satan, this isn't PSX.

THEELEMENTKH, DaMan, uyjulian and 4 others like this.
  15. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

Chile
    Funny that you mention battery life when the switch isn't much better.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  16. 330

330 Banned
    Banned

Nauru
    Imagine how awful would it be with an optical disc reader :P

17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    As if being required to download part of a game, and buying an SD card for a game that's already on a Switch cart wasn't asinine enough

chartube12 likes this.
  18. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Can anyone show a list of game file sizes on Switch?

19. Robfozz

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

United States
    The real problem is devs being lazy and not compressing literally anything in their games.

20. 330

330 Banned
    Banned

Nauru
    Here you go. Biggest game is currently L.A. Noire (almost 28GB).

Taleweaver likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Cartridges, suggests, Nintendo