• Likes 43

Matezoide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, i was doing a backup earlier today, when something crossed my mind:

What can be done if my SD were to die and i didn't have a backup avaliable? As unlikely as it is, these things can still happen, so it is better to have a general idea from the start. I know i would lose my games and saves, but is there an easy way to recover the more important stuff so i can just re-install them?

I use arm9loader and Luma, just followed the 3ds guide.

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So, i was doing a backup earlier today, when something crossed my mind:

What can be done if my SD were to die and i didn't have a backup avaliable? As unlikely as it is, these things can still happen, so it is better to have a general idea from the start. I know i would lose my games and saves, but is there an easy way to recover the more important stuff so i can just re-install them?

I use arm9loader and Luma, just followed the 3ds guide.
Basically there's nothing crucial on the sd card so just putting Luma arm9loaderhax.bin in the sd would be enough.

Matezoide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Basically there's nothing crucial on the sd card so just putting Luma arm9loaderhax.bin in the sd would be enough.

Just that on a naked SD card is enough to get everything up and running again? Would i need to re-do FBI's installation?

This is actually pretty interesting, even though i am not a programmer.

Last edited by Matezoide,

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Just that on a naked SD card is enough to get everything up and running again? Would i need to re-do FBI's installation?

Yes. FBI reinstallation is required. You'll need to reinstall all the apps/games that disappear when you take your sd card out. This includes everything but system titles and dsiware games.

Matezoide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes. FBI reinstallation is required. You'll need to reinstall all the apps/games that disappear when you take your sd card out. This includes everything but system titles and dsiware games.

I see, but i am still a little confused.

What about Homebrew Launcher? In order to install FBI i would just need to re-do that step from the guide?

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I see, but i am still a little confused.

What about Homebrew Launcher? In order to install FBI i would just need to re-do that step from the guide?
If you need homebrew launcher, you'll need to reinstall it with FBI and put the contents of starter.zip to your sd.

To reinstall FBI, you re-do the Injecting FBI, Installing cias and restoring health and safety parts of the guide.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to record the Old 3ds without a capture card?
Yes, but streaming will only run at about 2FPS using horizonM
No, since NTR CFW (the only way to record 3DS screens without a capture card) doesn't allow screen capture on Old3DS
NTR is not the only way ;)

Matezoide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you need homebrew launcher, you'll need to reinstall it with FBI and put the contents of starter.zip to your sd.

To reinstall FBI, you re-do the Injecting FBI, Installing cias and restoring health and safety parts of the guide.

Very interesting, thanks!

I am legitimately impressed at how simple it is to recover the more important stuff even without a proper backup, it is pretty neat, especially for someone with very little coding knowledge.

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Gateway is not compatible with 11.3 so you want to only upgrade to 11.2. Make sure to never launch Gateway in sysNAND mode, just in case (launching it in sysNAND on 11.3 or more will remove a9lh).
ok, but how do I upgrade to 11.2 ? (friend's new3DS) (also I, personally am on 11.4 a9lh on luma, gateway just doesn't run, you'll f*ck up you 3DS only if you try to install their shitty time machine thing, not if you just start the payload with a9lh ;))

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
ok, but how do I upgrade to 11.2 ? (friend's new3DS) (also I, personally am on 11.4 a9lh on luma, gateway just doesn't run, you'll f*ck up you 3DS only if you try to install their shitty time machine thing, not if you just start the payload with a9lh ;))
Why would you need gateway anyway?

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
^ Is that a noob question ? cause that's the reason for every question here, right ?

(anyways, I don't know, it's my friend's setup, he needs it and that's it. as for me, gf is playing some undub roms, it's a 1000 times easier for me to set it up for her than recompiling roms as cias or using LayerFS with Luma, also I have 2 microSD so why not use those ?)

short answer that's been answered a -BILLION- times, >it's not because YOU don't need something that nobody on earth does too<, different ppl, options, etc.

anyways, I'm on 11.4, my gf can't play her games, nor can I backup her saves to transfer them to cias, unless I downgrade. (I didn't have the time to do that yet)
I wan't to prevent this problem on my friend's setup, so my question still remains unanswered, when I follow 3ds.guide, how do I upgrade to 11.2 instead of 11.4 ?
thanks a lot to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

Reactions: Garou

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
^ Is that a noob question ? cause that's the reason for every question here, right ?

(anyways, I don't know, it's my friend's setup, he needs it and that's it. as for me, gf is playing some undub roms, it's a 1000 times easier for me to set it up for her than recompiling roms as cias or using LayerFS with Luma, also I have 2 microSD so why not use those ?)

short answer that's been answered a -BILLION- times, >it's not because YOU don't need something that nobody on earth does too<, different ppl, options, etc.

anyways, I'm on 11.4, my gf can't play her games, nor can I backup her saves to transfer them to cias, unless I downgrade. (I didn't have the time to do that yet)
I wan't to prevent this problem on my friend's setup, so my question still remains unanswered, when I follow 3ds.guide, how do I upgrade to 11.2 instead of 11.4 ?
thanks a lot to anyone that can point me in the right direction.
Use a Yoshi's Wooly World rom and start Gateway mode from the Gateway menu, holding D pad up when you select boot Gateway mode (this will disable the cart update blocker).

Whatever you do, DO NOT boot into Gateway sysNAND mode. If you do so on 11.3 or higher you lose a9lh.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

You would only have to reinject FBI if you installed the cia and reverted the health and safety app. If you leave it in the health and safety app it will stick around.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

not if you just start the payload with a9lh ;))
No!!!!! It WILL remove a9lh if you start Gateway in 11.3 or 11.4 sysNAND. Gateway does not protect the firm, and in 11.3 the console tries to write over it. This has happened multiple times. If you don't believe me, at least try it on 11.3, not 11.4, so you can still re-hack your console afterward.

Reactions: Majickhat55

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't... +1