• Likes 43

Oleboy555

Trophies
Website
3ds.guide
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi Guys, a couple of years ago, I’ve modded an original 3DS (at firmware 4.2.0-9U) with the PastaCFW 1.2.1 (which I start by entering the DS profile on settings).

Now I want use the Luma CFW on it.

I didn’t perform any updates on its firmware whatsoever, just installed a couple of CIA’s.

I’ve being studying for a while how do it, and I believe a should do the following:
  1. Remove the CIA’s I’ve installed (using the “title manager” application?);
  2. Format the console, so its NAND gets it original state (including the DS profile?);
  3. Use the tutorials at https://3ds.guide to hack it like it was never modded before.

But I’m not sure at all if the steeps above are safe, so I’m really worried of bricking it during the process.

What would you guys suggest me to do?

P.S.: I’ve attached a few images showing the state of the console.

whatever you do, make sure you have a NAND backup before doing ANYTHING, also backup all files on the SD card

Chongu

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I created an account here just to ask this:

I have a n3ds LL version that is already modded. How do I change the map menus to English?

At the very least, point me in the right direction and I can go about from there. Thank you!

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hi Guys, a couple of years ago, I’ve modded an original 3DS (at firmware 4.2.0-9U) with the PastaCFW 1.2.1 (which I start by entering the DS profile on settings).

Now I want use the Luma CFW on it.

You don't have to remove your CIA's. They will work once you're on A9LH+Luma. Formatting will get rid of their tickets, but they can be easily re-installed later with Tikshop or the like. I'm not sure if you even need to format though; The guide lists two methods of booting into Decrypt9. One utilizes the DS Profile Exploit you're already using, but you should be able to overwrite it with the D9 launch. Then there's the browser exploit - If you have browser then you can just use that instead on your sysNAND and you won't even need to format.

Either way the 3ds.guide tells you everything relevant that you should know. If you're using emuNAND and planning to move into sysNAND only (which is what the guide instructs you to do), then make sure that once you boot into Decrypt9, you create a backup of your emuNAND on top of the sysNAND backup that the guide instructs you to do. Then, after installing A9LH you get to "Restoring your system". Here you restore your system using "sysNAND Backup/restore" in Hourglass9, and restore your system using the emuNAND backup. This will flash your emu into your sysNAND, effectively carrying over saves, tickets and other relevant stuff. Once you're done with the guide you can remove emuNAND from your SD card as it's now doing nothing but taking space.

Just make sure you're doing all of the steps on your sysNAND. Doing them on emuNAND would be completely pointless.

Also in case you're worried about losing the "safety net" that emuNAND brings:

1) You could keep using emuNAND at the cost of SD storage space
2) emuNAND provides no real benefits unless you like to use Gateway, as GW only works on 11.2. Launching GW on 11.3 will wipe A9LH from the console
3) A9LH loads before anything else so even if console is bricked - it's actually not. So long as A9LH is installed your console can always be restored through a backup.

11.3 FW and higher try to write into FIRM 0/1, which if successful, would wipe A9LH. This is why you always use CFW with A9LH such as Luma which protects the FIRM from writes .. So as long as you don't use something like the aforementioned "Brickway", you're good.

Last edited by Distrance,
Reactions: RetroModder

yzak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just finished hacking my 3ds for the first time via 3ds.guide. I now have everything installed and I was wondering what's next. What can I do with my 3DS?

1. I downloaded some games from somewhere, can I just put them in my cias file and install them via FBI? It's that simple? zipped or unzipped?
2. I heard there is something called freeshop? What is that and how do I get it?
3. Any other essential stuff I should look into getting since my 3DS has cfw now? I feel like I have yet to see it's full power. Please tell me what I can do to take her for a spin.

Appreciate it!

Last edited by yzak,

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just finished hacking my 3ds for the first time via 3ds.guide. I now have everything installed and I was wondering what's next. What can I do with my 3DS?

1. I downloaded some games from -snip-, can I just put them in my cias file and install them via FBI? It's that simple? zipped or unzipped?
2. I heard there is something called freeshop? What is that and how do I get it?
3. Any other essential stuff I should look into getting since my 3DS has cfw now? I feel like I have yet to see it's full power. Please tell me what I can do to take her for a spin.

Appreciate it!
1. Remove that name from your post. It's against the rules to link to or mention the name of where you can get games. To install games with FBI, they need to be in CIA format.
2. http://freeshop.pw/
3. If you have a new 3DS (with the C-Stick), you can look into recording your gameplay with NTR CFW (which is not an actual CFW).

detail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I installed Luma using 3ds.guide. I followed every step and got it up and running just find. I used a 4GB MicroSD card to install the CFW. After I finished, I transferred the contents of the 4GB MicroSD card to the 128GB. Now, though it doesn't have the option to boot into FBI or Luma3DS used to be on the far right, but no longer is. What is wrong, why isn't it loading?

Firmware is 11.2.0-35U

Thanks for the help.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I installed Luma using 3ds.guide. I followed every step and got it up and running just find. I used a 4GB MicroSD card to install the CFW. After I finished, I transferred the contents of the 4GB MicroSD card to the 128GB. Now, though it doesn't have the option to boot into FBI or Luma3DS used to be on the far right, but no longer is. What is wrong, why isn't it loading?

Firmware is 11.2.0-35U

Thanks for the help.
sounds like a bad copy job . . . first use this https://3ds.guide/h2testw-(windows) on your sd card then report back . . . then (assuming its all good) format it to fat32 and copy it again

edit also dont do a drive to drive copy . . . copy from sd1 to pc to sd2

Last edited by wormdood,

Rainmakerns

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey,guys. I've been out of the scene for a while and would like some help to install Luma on my device(O3ds XL). I'm not sure which steps to follow since it's (still) using RxTools and on firmware 6.2 (with browser).

detail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like a bad copy job . . . first use this https://3ds.guide/h2testw-(windows) on your sd card then report back . . . then (assuming its all good) format it to fat32 and copy it again

edit also dont do a drive to drive copy . . . copy from sd1 to pc to sd2
Ok, I ran h2testw and it was fine. I then formatted in FAT32 and did it. I'll repeat the process again.

Strange, I ran h2testw and it came out fine, now I ran it again, and it says 1/2 MB is bad...

RetroModder

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
You don't have to remove your CIA's. They will work once you're on A9LH+Luma. Formatting will get rid of their tickets, but they can be easily re-installed later with Tikshop or the like. I'm not sure if you even need to format though; The guide lists two methods of booting into Decrypt9. One utilizes the DS Profile Exploit you're already using, but you should be able to overwrite it with the D9 launch. Then there's the browser exploit - If you have browser then you can just use that instead on your sysNAND and you won't even need to format.

Either way the 3ds.guide tells you everything relevant that you should know. If you're using emuNAND and planning to move into sysNAND only (which is what the guide instructs you to do), then make sure that once you boot into Decrypt9, you create a backup of your emuNAND on top of the sysNAND backup that the guide instructs you to do. Then, after installing A9LH you get to "Restoring your system". Here you restore your system using "sysNAND Backup/restore" in Hourglass9, and restore your system using the emuNAND backup. This will flash your emu into your sysNAND, effectively carrying over saves, tickets and other relevant stuff. Once you're done with the guide you can remove emuNAND from your SD card as it's now doing nothing but taking space.

Just make sure you're doing all of the steps on your sysNAND. Doing them on emuNAND would be completely pointless.

Also in case you're worried about losing the "safety net" that emuNAND brings:

1) You could keep using emuNAND at the cost of SD storage space
2) emuNAND provides no real benefits unless you like to use Gateway, as GW only works on 11.2. Launching GW on 11.3 will wipe A9LH from the console
3) A9LH loads before anything else so even if console is bricked - it's actually not. So long as A9LH is installed your console can always be restored through a backup.

11.3 FW and higher try to write into FIRM 0/1, which if successful, would wipe A9LH. This is why you always use CFW with A9LH such as Luma which protects the FIRM from writes .. So as long as you don't use something like the aforementioned "Brickway", you're good.

Thank you very much for our detailed reply.

If I understood it correctly...
  • After installing A9LH the console would be safe from a brick that could eventually be caused by me trying to install Luma over a sysNAND that already was modified by the old PastaCFW (as long as I have a sysNAND backup);
  • Removing the titles or even formatting the console wouldn't be necessary since Luma would recognize all the cia's previously installed;
  • In the end, I should just follow the steeps on https://3ds.guide and then I can even be able to play DS games on the console because the DS profile exploit will be not necessary to boot the CFW.
Am I right?

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

• After installing A9LH the console would be safe from a brick that could eventually be caused by me trying to install Luma over a sysNAND that already was modified by the old PastaCFW (as long as I have a sysNAND backup);
  • Removing the titles or even formatting the console wouldn't be necessary since Luma would recognize all the cia's previously installed;
  • In the end, I should just follow the steeps on https://3ds.guide and then I can even be able to play DS games on the console because the DS profile exploit will be not necessary to boot the CFW.
Am I right?

Luma is not something you install. No CFW is anymore .. A9LH is what loads the CFW of your choice and this happens the moment you hit that Power On button of the console. The CFW comes in a form of "arm9loaderhax.bin" file, that is on root of your SD card. When you boot your console and you get to the main menu .. you're on CFW. If no such file is present, the console switches off. So it's a seamless boot without the need of having to go to somewhere to boot into the CFW specifically.

When A9LH is installed you're safe from bricks. sysNAND backup is nice to have (for saves etc.), but not even essential because an universal 9.2 ctr transfer image exists that one could potentially use to recover from a brick if they didn't own a NAND backup themself.

In any case all you must do is follow 3ds.guide .. Just remember what I said about the emuNAND. I'm fairly sure your set up uses it, so you must back it up. Even though the guide doesn't tell you to do it right then and there when you boot into Decrypt9 I'd recommend to do so anyway just to avoid any potential mistakes you might later do.

Reactions: RetroModder

ocihc80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hi All,

I was also out of the scene for quite sometime. After reading several threads, I found out that the 3ds.guide is the way forward.

I got a stock (Old) 3ds XL with FW 6.2.0-12E.
I am still in the early part of choosing between "No Browser" & "Browser". Appreciate your help on which version should l choose?

Also, I got stock 2ds with FW 6.0.0-12E, same question above? Please advise.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by ocihc80,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All,

I got a stock Old 3ds XL with FW 6.2.0-12E.
Now, I will follow the 3ds.guide. I am still in the early part of choosing between "No Browser" & "Browser". Appreciate your help on which version should l choose?

Also, I got stock 2ds with FW 6.0.0-12E, same question above? Please advise.

Thank you in advance!
use https://3ds.guide/decrypt9-(browser) for both of them

jucaa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I'm using free shop but the more recent games are not showing up (not so recent btw).
I have the right title keys url so what can be happening?

Germaine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello guys!
I modded my 3ds a few months back when it was on 11.2.0-35U and got Luma, FBI and all that in the 3ds.guide and freeshop. Now i heard 11.3 is out.
1.Is it still safe to update with luma+arm9lh?
2. I saw in 3ds.guide how to update arm9lh, should I do that? is there a new version?
3. How do I update Luma correctly? I just run the luma updater on the 3ds and let it do its thing?
4. Do i have to update freeshop to use it? how do i do that?
so far i have this questions, they may be pretty dumb but im a total noob at this so far I have only modded my 3ds from stovk to luma+arm9lh following the guide so i have no idea or experience in updating them. Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and I used neither my phone or my pc today