• Views 4,479,548
  • Replies 53,784
  • Likes 43

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
here's all my noob questions from the catch all tutorial thread.
maybe this is a better place for them

Here's a bunch of random questions. Mainly because I'm not sure I grasp how this works after everything is said and done and I'm not the type to just jump in and just see how everything ends up.
I already got ironfall and homemenuhax and the changed dns settings, so I'd pretty much skip right to the downgrading part, right?

After downgrading is done, hopefully without any issues, I'll basically have two independent systems, the sysnand on the exploitable firmware and the emunand on the most current one, yes?
With the sysnands main use being to boot me into ctrmanager by holding L (or whatever menuhax button isconfigured?), from where i can start rxtools, homebrew or the sysnand and emunand system? and from where i can, among other things, install homebrew and such to emunand? (i seriously have to find some videos that show off how this all looks and acts and works once you're done with everything...)

I'm then not really supposed to be using this sysnand actively anymore, other than for getting to rxtools and emunand and for gba games and dsiware?
So is there any reason to keep any currently installed games and programs (besides ironfall with 9.2.0-20 exploit save) on the sysnand side of things? Before starting any of this, should I just uninstall everything besides ironfall from my 3ds? if only to make the 'backup your sd card' steps less of a hassle?

Can I just remove wifi settings/enter tubehax dns in sysnand and never have to worry about sysnand trying to update itself from then on?

After downgrading and unlinking the nands, to get my games and gameupdates back, I'll want to have my nnid on the emunand and not the sysnand, right? Because people seem to get errors when both nands have the same NNID?

What would be the easiest way to go about this?
In the OP, it says "If you'd like to keep your sysNAND data in your emuNAND, use TinyFormat on your sysNAND instead. Of course, you'll have to install FBI to sysNAND first." It sounds like thats what I want, but is it? And if it is, is the general procedure the same, but on step 4. Install TinyFormat.cia to SD card. I just chose like sysnand or whatever?
Tinyformat does not delete menuhax or ironfall/hax or anything, yes?

So much for general questions about setting everything up once downgraded.

Can i simply update firmware on emunand, or do i have to use fbi with a file similar to the 9.2. downgrade archive to update

Just one more question, homebrew such as playcoinsetter, once this is all setup, will it just naturally affect only emunand? And games that use the playcoins will just access the emunands playcoins, when they're started from emunand?

A big thanks to whoever might take the time to answer all of this.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So I did the downgrade, unlink, emunand, RXtools and 9.5 on my N3DS. I did this for my friend's O3DS too and ended up noticing on N3DS with RXtools Miiverse and friends list crash, but on O3DS they work. Can anyone explain why is this, and how likely is it to get these to work on N3DS so I can add my friends for my games which most I do own on cartridge, like Smash, monster Hunter 4 U and so on. Or, is there at least an app to do adding of friends some other way then (knowing games like Pokemon and Monster Hunter 4 U can add friends into your system friends list, this should on paper be possible?)

Also huge thanks in general to the scene community out there, there is some really clever people doing some cool shtuff for us not that big brained. I am in no way saying "this should totally work why my friends list no work" when I know how much newer system N3DS is compared to Original and how everything is just that much slightly different on N3DS.

Sp4rks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone,

After successfully downgrading my N3DSXL from 10.3E to 9.2E, I've followed this tuto to install CFW on it. Had no issue at all, everything is running perfectly.

Now, my question is: I have two of those R4 linkers bought in 2013 and I'd like to know if they can work on my system to play DS backups.

At the moment the flashcart does not launch at all, I have a black screen when trying to launch it from EmuNAND and the "An error has occured" message when trying to launch it from SysNAND.
The firmware version is still on a 2013 version so I guess it's completely outdated, but I could not find a way to get the last version as there is no support anymore from the official r4isdhc.com website.

Last, if there's no way to make it work on a N3DS, which flashcard would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm looking at buying a n3ds in the next few weeks. To do the current modding (rxtools, cake cfw, pasta, etc) do I need a legit copy of ninja or would a flashcard version work?
You won't need Cubic Ninja to do the modding process; there's other ways to launch the HBL (i.e. Browserhax). If you want to do so via Ninjhax then either a legit cart or Sky3DS will work.

Okay, I got my first issue fixed, but now I have a couple of other issues.
1. I can't install CIAs onto the emuNAND now. When I install it through FBI (on Homebrew) it actually goes to SysNAND despite being set to SD (assuming that's emuNAND), and even then it still requires I use PastaCFW prior to booting
2. rxTools can't find Health & Safety on the emuNAND for FBI injection
Can I please get help with this? I've been at this for days now
1. You need to boot rxTools, then boot into the HBL while in emuNAND to use FBI to install to emuNAND. Install to SD card is the correct option, but it doesn't mean emuNAND. SysNAND installs to the SD card as well.
2. I'm not sure about this.

How can I launch rxTools offline?
You can use the Homebrew Launcher, the MSET exploit or Themehax.

Is there a way to install unsigned CIAs on rxtools2.6 emunand? I'd like to use some romhacks and such.
Yes, boot emuNAND and use the CIA installer of your choice and it should work fine. If you're using FBI set the install location to SD.

here's all my noob questions from the catch all tutorial thread.
maybe this is a better place for them

Here's a bunch of random questions. Mainly because I'm not sure I grasp how this works after everything is said and done and I'm not the type to just jump in and just see how everything ends up.
I already got ironfall and homemenuhax and the changed dns settings, so I'd pretty much skip right to the downgrading part, right?

After downgrading is done, hopefully without any issues, I'll basically have two independent systems, the sysnand on the exploitable firmware and the emunand on the most current one, yes?
With the sysnands main use being to boot me into ctrmanager by holding L (or whatever menuhax button isconfigured?), from where i can start rxtools, homebrew or the sysnand and emunand system? and from where i can, among other things, install homebrew and such to emunand? (i seriously have to find some videos that show off how this all looks and acts and works once you're done with everything...)

I'm then not really supposed to be using this sysnand actively anymore, other than for getting to rxtools and emunand and for gba games and dsiware?
So is there any reason to keep any currently installed games and programs (besides ironfall with 9.2.0-20 exploit save) on the sysnand side of things? Before starting any of this, should I just uninstall everything besides ironfall from my 3ds? if only to make the 'backup your sd card' steps less of a hassle?

Can I just remove wifi settings/enter tubehax dns in sysnand and never have to worry about sysnand trying to update itself from then on?

After downgrading and unlinking the nands, to get my games and gameupdates back, I'll want to have my nnid on the emunand and not the sysnand, right? Because people seem to get errors when both nands have the same NNID?

What would be the easiest way to go about this?
In the OP, it says "If you'd like to keep your sysNAND data in your emuNAND, use TinyFormat on your sysNAND instead. Of course, you'll have to install FBI to sysNAND first." It sounds like thats what I want, but is it? And if it is, is the general procedure the same, but on step 4. Install TinyFormat.cia to SD card. I just chose like sysnand or whatever?
Tinyformat does not delete menuhax or ironfall/hax or anything, yes?

So much for general questions about setting everything up once downgraded.

Can i simply update firmware on emunand, or do i have to use fbi with a file similar to the 9.2. downgrade archive to update

Just one more question, homebrew such as playcoinsetter, once this is all setup, will it just naturally affect only emunand? And games that use the playcoins will just access the emunands playcoins, when they're started from emunand?

A big thanks to whoever might take the time to answer all of this.
Yes, if you've already got your entrypoint to the HBL, then you can begin the downgrade process.

Yes, the sysNAND will be on an exploitable firmware. If you're using an O3DS, you can go to the latest firmware on emuNAND. If you're using an N3DS, 9.5.0-23 is the highest you'll be able to go on emuNAND.

You can choose to have Menuhax boot you into the BootManager by holding L, or have it boot when you don't hold L. You can boot rxTools, the HBL, or whatever else from the BootManager. To install things to emuNAND, you'll need to boot into emuNAND then use a cia installer.

Yes, sysNAND will pretty much only be there for booting into rxTools and installing VC games.

Once you create an emuNAND, everything that is on your sysNAND will also be on your emuNAND. After you create your emuNAND, you can remove your SD card and format sysNAND. The games will be wiped from sysNAND, but will still be in emuNAND (saves will still be fine too). I'd leave everything as is until after creating an emuNAND.

Wi-fi settings in sysNAND seem to get copied from emuNAND upon updating your emuNAND's wi-fi settings, so there's not much point in removing them. Updates are only downloaded if you leave the console in sleep mode while connected to the internet, and once you've got emuNAND set up, sysNAND will probably not be seeing much internet anyway.

You can have the NNID linked on both NANDs. I've had mine linked on both NANDs forever and I've never had an issue. As long as you don't wipe sysNAND before creating emuNAND, you're games will all still be available on emuNAND.

I don't know about TinyFormat. I've never used it.

If you have on O3DS, you can update the latest emuNAND no problem. If you have an N3DS, you'll need to update emuNAND to 9.5.0-23 manually via cias.

Yes, things installed to emuNAND will affect emuNAND only.

YyAoMmIi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

how can i update my EmuNAND to 9.5?

N3DS XL
sysNAND 9.2
EmuNAND 9.2
I can't find the tutorial I used, but from my memory, here what I did.
to upgrade your N3DS to 9.5
1) back up your EmuNand via EmuNand9 or EmuNand tool.
2) Find the files for 9.5. It is in a similar format as the ones for 9.2 you use to downgrade. Replace everything in the update folder with 9.5 stuff (nothing about 9.2 should be there.
3) Get sysUpdater. You might you have the homebrew version you use to downgrade, but I recommend using the CIA version of sysUpdater to downgrade.
4) go into SysUpdater and go to update.
Okay, I got my first issue fixed, but now I have a couple of other issues.
1. I can't install CIAs onto the emuNAND now. When I install it through FBI (on Homebrew) it actually goes to SysNAND despite being set to SD (assuming that's emuNAND), and even then it still requires I use PastaCFW prior to booting
2. rxTools can't find Health & Safety on the emuNAND for FBI injection
Can I please get help with this? I've been at this for days now
1) Actually, there 3 spots SD and NAND refers to.
Go here if you want to understand more.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/
Simply put, you need a FBI CIA version cause homebrew at this point is iffy since emunand is unlinked. Leading on to the 2nd question
2) What tutorial are you using for the FBI Injection, cause I don't think you need RX yet.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-inject-any-app-into-health-safety-o3ds-n3ds-cfw-only.402236/

Nintendo4DSXL

Pokémon-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can't find the tutorial I used, but from my memory, here what I did.
to upgrade your N3DS to 9.5
1) back up your EmuNand via EmuNand9 or EmuNand tool.
2) Find the files for 9.5. It is in a similar format as the ones for 9.2 you use to downgrade. Replace everything in the update folder with 9.5 stuff (nothing about 9.2 should be there.
3) Get sysUpdater. You might you have the homebrew version you use to downgrade, but I recommend using the CIA version of sysUpdater to downgrade.
4) go into SysUpdater and go to update.

/

Where can i get the CIA Version? I only found the Homebrew version

YyAoMmIi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can have the NNID linked on both NANDs. I've had mine linked on both NANDs forever and I've never had an issue. As long as you don't wipe sysNAND before creating emuNAND, you're games will all still be available on emuNAND.
I'm a bit confused on this part, After setting up the downgrade, I still had all my games, just all were put out of their folders.
After making EmuNAND and unliking, All my games were gone. I knew it was the same EmuNAND as notifications were same as before the downgrade.
I assume somehow I have 2 EmuNand Files? see below for when I say 2 EmuNand

Here what my Nintendo 3DS Folder looks like.
upload_2016-1-6_17-41-51-png.34706

Here is inside that 776b66 folder
upload_2016-1-6_17-42-59-png.34707

982b00 was what I had before I set up anything, so I'm not sure where that 145600 came from.
Rather, This SS came right after Unliking the EmuNand from my sysNand.

Theory:
Somehow I made a 2nd EmuNAND, and now anything I been doing has been saving in there.

1) After getting back by NNID, I found I lost all my puzzle data from the Mii Plaza. I assume if I get back to my original EmuNAND, i'll get my puzzle back?

Ratatapa

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Question about backing up/restoring Emunand (with the tool)

1) What does a backup of Emunand consist of?, is it just the 'emunand OS' or does it have all my .cia installed saved games etc

2) In case my emunand gets corrupted, how do i fix it? just restore the backup from emunand tool or is there other steps?

Thanks

Ratatapa

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edit : fixed it

But last question

The Homebrew loader that starts from the CTRmanagement affects the sysnand right? Because if I go to the SD management card from that HBL I have no configuration

While the SD management from the emunand has my config

Last edited by Ratatapa,

LordBone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hello again everyone. I successfully downgraded and installed emunand. Now I'm trying to install FBI, but when I'm checking for TMD version I get only what you can see on the picture. What am I doing wrong?
IMG_20160107_153858.jpg
I'm sorry if this is a trivial or stupid question.
I'm on 9.2 both NANDs. And have a o3ds xl

Tescowiec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is it ok to close the lid of n3ds while installing .cia using FBI? Will it continue to install in sleep mode? 1GB+ files installs some time...

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Once you create an emuNAND, everything that is on your sysNAND will also be on your emuNAND. After you create your emuNAND, you can remove your SD card and format sysNAND. The games will be wiped from sysNAND, but will still be in emuNAND (saves will still be fine too). I'd leave everything as is until after creating an emuNAND.

If you have on O3DS, you can update the latest emuNAND no problem. If you have an N3DS, you'll need to update emuNAND to 9.5.0-23 manually via cias.

1. does that require me to have enough free space to hold my games twice?

2. i've got an 03ds, so i just start a system update from emunand, wait for the download and be done with it, yes? in case of new updates, i guess I'm still supposed to wait and see if its ok to update even in emunand?

3. another question, if i format sysnand, will menuhax/ironhax still be there?

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I got this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DDHC5MV