• Replies 53,786
  • Likes 43

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really noob question here.

I have a spare 2DS in the last system version capable of using the Spider exploit (9.5.0-22U, if I remember correctly). Is there any flashcard which I could use? If more than one is available, which one is more recommended?

Thanks in advance for any ellucidating answers.

Your only option right now is sky3ds. May be more options in the future if you're willing to not update for the next year or two.

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Not really sure what's the right section for this but I want to setup a second SD card containing the previous pokemon XY/ORAS updates (where the browser exploit wasn't patched yet) but I don't know which folders are the ones that contain the updates and also would like to know what are the other minimum required files/folders for the 3DS to keep working properly.
I intend to swap my current SD with this alternate one when performing the exploit and then switch back after saving.

Also another question regarding digital saves, if I were to backup an SD containing my animal crossing save, format the SD and then copy all contents back (without trying to touch the game at all on the 3DS) should my save file be alright?

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I just bought a New 3ds XL back and it has a base firmware of 9.0.0-20U
i also bought a sky 3ds blue button
I hear that firmware version 4.0 to 9.2 can run the gateway loader (not the card just the loader)to dump ROMs and backup system NAND via the browser exploit
but so far when I tried I just got a black Gateway loading screen
Ideally I'd want to backup my NAND so I have it just in case I ever need to downgrade but ultimately want to want to accomplish is to be able to back up my legit games because I want to avoid piracy

Am I mistaken can I not backup my games and/or NAND this way?
If not I was wondering if there was an easy way for me to go about doing what I want to without me having to buy a Gateway 3DS card

thanks

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a New 3ds XL back and it has a base firmware of 9.0.0-20U
i also bought a sky 3ds blue button
I hear that firmware version 4.0 to 9.2 can run the gateway loader (not the card just the loader)to dump ROMs and backup system NAND via the browser exploit
but so far when I tried I just got a black Gateway loading screen
Ideally I'd want to backup my NAND so I have it just in case I ever need to downgrade but ultimately want to want to accomplish is to be able to back up my legit games because I want to avoid piracy

Am I mistaken can I not backup my games and/or NAND this way?
If not I was wondering if there was an easy way for me to go about doing what I want to without me having to buy a Gateway 3DS card

thanks

The browser exploit is for the old 3dson 5.x to 9.2. You need to run the Oot or cubic ninja exploit for the new 3ds. So you need a physical retail cart of one of those. Get CN if you are able, it is more versatil with other exploits.

Yes you can backup nand and dump carts with just the launcher.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you guys find a way to successfully transfer Legit cias from Emunand to sysnand?

You need to use FunkyCIA to do this, here is a thread with the latest version:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...p-content-super-easy-and-fast-2-1-fix.376941/

Use these as a guide (though the commands will be slightly different since it's for version 1 of FunkyCIA)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-dump-and-backup-eshop-games-and-dlc.375586/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/funkycia-guide-how-to-make-cias-from-your-eshop-stuff.377015/

Then just install all your legit CIAs using whatever CIA installer you like.

Edit: I just noticed you want to go to a Sysnand. Never mind my post. I think it is only possible if you at one point actually did purchase the game on that system's sysnand.

8bittears

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Please help me with this, my eyes are falling out of my head and my brain is going bonkers.

I'm looking for any 3DS XL from 9.0.0-20U to 9.5.0-22, no higher, no less for ACNL hacks, browser exploit. I've sent texts and emails to tons of options on craigslist and eBay to no avail, either they all updated, firmware was too low (and I know from games you can only update to 8.1 as known?) or prices went too high in the bidding process. The other day, I was about to buy a near pristine Disney Edition 3DS XL with ACNL for around $125 and then the person contacted me telling their roommate updated it late last night. :gun:

I'm starting to think my options are just to hop into Walmart, buy a bunch and return a bunch until I find what I need. Anyone have recommendations on where to go? Keep looking?

EDIT: I'd also like to add the hacks do not work with the -New- 3DS XL. So I'm just looking for the regular 3DS XL here.

Nyuura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello. I have a friend who recently got a Gateway. His Old 3DS XL has a firmware of 9.2 and he tried installing the GW Ultra update by following this guide

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/286487-3DS-N3DS-Gateway-Ultra-Guide

Everything was going seemingly fine for him, he was able to get the multirom menu and see it, but upon trying to backup his NAND by going back to the website as stated in the guide, he gets this http://puu.sh/hpg0h/7d254c0d92.jpg (it basically just freezes every time he tries to enter the website for a 2nd time). Does anyone know how to solve this and what might cause it? And if a reinstallation is needed, how does one reinstall GW Ultra? Thanks in advance. Can provide further details if needed

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please help me with this, my eyes are falling out of my head and my brain is going bonkers.

I'm looking for any 3DS XL from 9.0.0-20U to 9.5.0-22, no higher, no less for ACNL hacks, browser exploit. I've sent texts and emails to tons of options on craigslist and eBay to no avail, either they all updated, firmware was too low (and I know from games you can only update to 8.1 as known?) or prices went too high in the bidding process. The other day, I was about to buy a near pristine Disney Edition 3DS XL with ACNL for around $125 and then the person contacted me telling their roommate updated it late last night. :gun:

I'm starting to think my options are just to hop into Walmart, buy a bunch and return a bunch until I find what I need. Anyone have recommendations on where to go? Keep looking?

EDIT: I'd also like to add the hacks do not work with the -New- 3DS XL. So I'm just looking for the regular 3DS XL here.
You need no higher than 9.2 any of the other hacks. Take a look at the GW thread so you have an idea of what serial numbers to look for. The store may let you do that.

The shotgun approach at Walmart is a an option. You can try some other retailers like toys r us, and Kmart that might not have the volume and have older stock. You can update to most of the firmware with a cart. Go to 3ds.essh.co for the list of what each cart has.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I have a friend who recently got a Gateway. His Old 3DS XL has a firmware of 9.2 and he tried installing the GW Ultra update by following this guide

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/286487-3DS-N3DS-Gateway-Ultra-Guide

Everything was going seemingly fine for him, he was able to get the multirom menu and see it, but upon trying to backup his NAND by going back to the website as stated in the guide, he gets this http://puu.sh/hpg0h/7d254c0d92.jpg (it basically just freezes every time he tries to enter the website for a 2nd time). Does anyone know how to solve this and what might cause it? And if a reinstallation is needed, how does one reinstall GW Ultra? Thanks in advance. Can provide further details if needed

That rainbow screen is typical when you try and run the browser exploit when you are already booted into emunand. Power it off and then run the browser exploit and press the L trigger at the white/grey screen to bring up the gateway menu.

8bittears

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You need no higher than 9.2 any of the other hacks. Take a look at the GW thread so you have an idea of what serial numbers to look for. The store may let you do that.

The shotgun approach at Walmart is a an option. You can try some other retailers like toys r us, and Kmart that might not have the volume and have older stock. You can update to most of the firmware with a cart. Go to 3ds.essh.co for the list of what each cart has.

Thanks thorasgar, however I'm a bit confused. I looked at the 3ds.essh.co list before asking and 8.1 will not work unless it lets me jump to 9.0 without going to newest 9.7 update? Also the ACNL hacks don't work for the "NEW" 3DS XLs so finding on at 9.0 won't help or getting Xenoblade games. I only intended to get a DS with firmware from 9.0.0-20 to 9.5.0-22 for just ACNL, not interested in other hacks or running other games. And most serial lists are for finding DS's that are below 4.x and not 9.x. Am I missing something? Where is this thread?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks thorasgar, however I'm a bit confused. I looked at the 3ds.essh.co list before asking and 8.1 will not work unless it lets me jump to 9.0 without going to newest 9.7 update? Also the ACNL hacks don't work for the "NEW" 3DS XLs so finding on at 9.0 won't help or getting Xenoblade games. I only intended to get a DS with firmware from 9.0.0-20 to 9.5.0-22 for just ACNL, not interested in other hacks or running other games. And most serial lists are for finding DS's that are below 4.x and not 9.x. Am I missing something? Where is this thread?
Yes you are right the lists focus on 4.5 and the n3ds. Sorry. Code name steam will get you to 9.4. A better way maybe using 3DNUS.

8bittears

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes you are right the lists focus on 4.5 and the n3ds. Sorry. Code name steam will get you to 9.4. A better way maybe using 3DNUS.

Alright thanks for the suggestions but I think 3DNUS sounds too risky to me... And emuNAND does not work with ACNL hacks so pointless to do any backups with emuNAND there and ~$34 to buy Code Name: S.T.E.A.M to update to 9.4, I mind as well get PowerSaves Pro for $15. Plus my original DS on hand is already 9.7 so that would still mean I need to find another DS. Mind as well find one at the firmware I need. Last resort, maybe I'll get the game to update.

For anyone reading this, PowerSaves lets you do some ACNL cheats (e.g., unlimited money, spawn items, etc.) and for other games but no where near the level of what you can do with LeafTools (e.g. kicking out villagers) and the map editor (e.g. replacing villagers, completely change your map layout in regards to building placements, etc.).

OGTiago

Trophies
Website
google.pt
XP
Country
I am thinking of upgrading to a New 3DS soon but I have never used a 3DS flashcard before:

Can Sky3DS hold multiple ROMs? I want to be able to take my whole collection with me. And would I be able to play online?

Also, I guess Sky3DS can't play homebrew/emulators, but Gateway can, is that the main difference?

Thanks in advance.

tipsytoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cani use emunandtool to inject an unlinked emunand in place of a currently linked emunand? If so, when i reinject thr linked one, is the link re-established. Im currently using linked + rxtools + ticket.db to update my legit games on sysnand. Then i intend to re-inject my gateway friendly unlinked emunand. Another question is can i just drop my unlinked 3ds games/save data back in the 'Nintendo 3ds' folder next to my sysnands one after injecting it?

3dsnoobz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Japanese n3DS firmware 8.1.0-0J and a Sky3DS (blue button), how do I make it so it can play US games? I don't have Cubic Ninja...

Thanks

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking of upgrading to a New 3DS soon but I have never used a 3DS flashcard before:

Can Sky3DS hold multiple ROMs? I want to be able to take my whole collection with me. And would I be able to play online?

Also, I guess Sky3DS can't play homebrew/emulators, but Gateway can, is that the main difference?

Thanks in advance.
That is one of the main differences but there are many others. There must be 100 threads over the past couple of months with this subject in the title. Rather than give my opinion i would just page back a bit and read some of them. To use gateway you will need a 9.2 or below n3ds and a copy of Ocinara of Time or Cubic Ninja.

I have both but have not used my sky yet,

OGTiago

Trophies
Website
google.pt
XP
Country
That is one of the main differences but there are many others. There must be 100 threads over the past couple of months with this subject in the title. Rather than give my opinion i would just page back a bit and read some of them. To use gateway you will need a 9.2 or below n3ds and a copy of Ocinara of Time or Cubic Ninja.

I have both but have not used my sky yet,
I can appreciate that, which is why I didn't make a thread. My understanding is that the Sky3DS plays 3DS games just fine, I think older version had some issues booting some games which appear to be resolved (I may be wrong). I have all the stuff required for a Gateway set up, but Sky3DS just seems simpler and less of a hassle, I mainly just want to use 3DS backups; things like Homebrew and Emulators are cool but they always end up being under utilised by me. Is this a bad idea, or do people recommend I take extra steps to set up Gateway?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can appreciate that, which is why I didn't make a thread. My understanding is that the Sky3DS plays 3DS games just fine, I think older version had some issues booting some games which appear to be resolved (I may be wrong). I have all the stuff required for a Gateway set up, but Sky3DS just seems simpler and less of a hassle, I mainly just want to use 3DS backups; things like Homebrew and Emulators are cool but they always end up being under utilised by me. Is this a bad idea, or do people recommend I take extra steps to set up Gateway?
Some consider the sky easier to use but just as difficult to set up. If you have more than 10 games the button pushing can be a real pain. Dealing with the private headers for online play is different than gateway but in the end more hassle than gateway.

Bottom line both will get the basics done with about the same level of effort to set up. But if you ever want tondo something more or your collection grows the sky shows its weaknesses. Gateway is updatable and has grown into more of a software solution than hardware. There is a current thread "is gateway more than just a drum dongle?" Is is ironic that the pirates have the most effective DRM. :)

Cani use emunandtool to inject an unlinked emunand in place of a currently linked emunand? If so, when i reinject thr linked one, is the link re-established. Im currently using linked + rxtools + ticket.db to update my legit games on sysnand. Then i intend to re-inject my gateway friendly unlinked emunand. Another question is can i just drop my unlinked 3ds games/save data back in the 'Nintendo 3ds' folder next to my sysnands one after injecting it?
In some respects "inject" may be a bit misleading as it implies a merge. What emunand tool does is replace the emunand in the unallocated partition,smoke thing we can't do with windows drag and drop. So the answer is no the link will not be reestablished.

Unless you find other information that gives better detail and assurances I would use SDF to backup any cia saves. The .3ds .sav files will copy back and the card 2 games are fine as the save is stored in the rom. I have not had much success messing with the folder structure on the mSD card.

Just make sure you take the time to backup, backup, backup. EVERTHING before you make a change. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1