• Start date
  • Views 4,461,386
  • Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

Meowwer

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been getting kind of mixed signals between all that I could find around here, so I'd rather ask here: Can an R4i 3DS SDHC RTS run homebrew? 3DS homebrew, specifically, so I could for example run stuff made from the open-source 3DS devkit, and stuff made from other people. Thanks in advice :lol:

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
I have another question
I updated my linked emuNAND to 9.6.0-24 and boot using rxTools, but when I tried to access eShop, it returns error 022-2634. Trying to log in to NNID using Settings also returns the same error
Any thoughts?
I've shared this on the other thread, but I think there's no harm sharing here as well

somehow I decided to open NNID settings in sysnand (and risk accidental update :P ) and it works. no error 022-2634 while logging in
now just to make sure that no downloaded updates, I restored NAND backup to sysnand, create new emunand and update to 9.6.0, open rxtools and ... eshop access

tipsytoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I even need a microsd card for the gateway, or is it better to get a large sd card and live off .cia files being loaded from the SD? From my understanding of what I've read(total noob so forgive me), the gateway is purely used to boot emunand and I could even remove it after entering emunand? Additionally, .cia files are immune to header complications, right? Why do people bother with .3dz/.3ds files? Any clarification much appreciated. Thanks.

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
Do I even need a microsd card for the gateway, or is it better to get a large sd card and live off .cia files being loaded from the SD? From my understanding of what I've read(total noob so forgive me), the gateway is purely used to boot emunand and I could even remove it after entering emunand? Additionally, .cia files are immune to header complications, right? Why do people bother with .3dz/.3ds files? Any clarification much appreciated. Thanks.

Yes you can remove the gateway card after booting emunand. idk about the header question.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You need a microsd at least once to install a cia installer, after that you no longer need it. You can use the gateway card to boot emunand and then you don't need it again until you reboot your 3DS (or exit certain games like SSB, etc...) you will need it occasionally.

.cia files don't use headers at all and there have been no reports of bans relating to them. That does not mean that they're immune to detection though, playing online is still at your own risk. .3DS files are setup such that they cannot access online services at all, while .3DZ files use a header you select to access online services.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
You need a microsd at least once to install a cia installer, after that you no longer need it. You can use the gateway card to boot emunand and then you don't need it again until you reboot your 3DS (or exit certain games like SSB, etc...) you will need it occasionally.

.cia files don't use headers at all and there have been no reports of bans relating to them. That does not mean that they're immune to detection though, playing online is still at your own risk. .3DS files are setup such that they cannot access online services at all, while .3DZ files use a header you select to access online services.

Pretty sure you can't boot into emunand without a msd in the gw cart.

I'll test it out a bit and report back

My o3ds on 4.4 will go to emuNAND if it is already in the console.

But if you go gw menu-> EmuNAND

It won't work

tipsytoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good to hear. So what would be your suggestion, 64gb microsd+adapter and empty gateway or 4gb sd and 64gb microsd in gateway? Do CIAs load faster/slower than 3dzs? Is there ANY benefit for me to use a 3dz vs a CIA?

Unrelated question, but I can't seem to find this solution either. I've got the eshop version of pokemon y and an extensive save file on my currently 'untouched' 8.1 3ds xl. I know I can probably get a copy on the emunand but is there a way to get my save file over there too?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good to hear. So what would be your suggestion, 64gb microsd+adapter and empty gateway or 4gb sd and 64gb microsd in gateway? Do CIAs load faster/slower than 3dzs? Is there ANY benefit for me to use a 3dz vs a CIA?

Unrelated question, but I can't seem to find this solution either. I've got the eshop version of pokemon y and an extensive save file on my currently 'untouched' 8.1 3ds xl. I know I can probably get a copy on the emunand but is there a way to get my save file over there too?

Before creating an emunand, use the gateway to boot into emunand - this will boot into sysnand in gateway mode. Use a .3ds version of savedatafiler on the gateway microsd and extract your pokemon y save. Then you'll be able to import it to any other 3DS that can run gateway (or emunand/whatever). Since it's an eshop purchase though, assuming you backup and restore your SD card contents in between creating emunand it should carry over on its own.

If you're planning to use mostly .CIA:
I would suggest getting the 64GB microsd but also using the 4GB SD card that came with the 3DS to get started (setup emunand, install cia manager, etc). Use the 64GB microsd in gateway while doing the initial setup and then copy over your emunand to it and use it inside the 3DS.

.CIA means you can run them without needing to keep the gateway cart in, and they save when they say they save vs .3dz where you need to go home and close them to save. They're more easily compatible with savedatafiler. You also get to see them all at once on your home menu, so I prefer them myself.

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
Before creating an emunand, use the gateway to boot into emunand - this will boot into sysnand in gateway mode. Use a .3ds version of savedatafiler on the gateway microsd and extract your pokemon y save. Then you'll be able to import it to any other 3DS that can run gateway (or emunand/whatever). Since it's an eshop purchase though, assuming you backup and restore your SD card contents in between creating emunand it should carry over on its own.

If you're planning to use mostly .CIA:
I would suggest getting the 64GB microsd but also using the 4GB SD card that came with the 3DS to get started (setup emunand, install cia manager, etc). Use the 64GB microsd in gateway while doing the initial setup and then copy over your emunand to it and use it inside the 3DS.

.CIA means you can run them without needing to keep the gateway cart in, and they save when they say they save vs .3dz where you need to go home and close them to save. They're more easily compatible with savedatafiler. You also get to see them all at once on your home menu, so I prefer them myself.

I feel like an idiot for not using CIA for everything. Maybe I should swap my cards around (currently using 32GB microsd in gateway and stock microsd card in n3ds).

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. Just do the steps from the cubic ninja menu (scan >qr code? (from memory)), and gateway will boot. Then swap the cubic ninja cart with the red gateway cart, and boot gateway mode.

Greatforce

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Im using a program to convert Movies for the 3ds atm, but they are 200 MB per 10 minutes. Isn't there a program that also converts, but with smaller sizes?

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to make Smash Bros playable online the best possible way. I have the Smash Bros .3DS ROM and I took the header info from my personal dump of Super Street Fighter IV. I changed the cart ID, chip ID, and manufacturer to Macronix, but when I try to play online, I get an error saying "this cart cannot be played online". Am I doing something wrong? I chose Super Street Fighter IV because it's the same ROM size as Smash, it has online play, etc.

Am I better off just giving up and converting the game to CIA and playing it online that way? From what I read, it's safer for online play because CIA games do not have headers.

This actually sounds like a great idea to me because then I feel like I get double the storage. I can have two 64 GB microSD cards; one in the Gateway, one inside the 3DS, that way I can double the amount of games I can carry with me at one time. Is there any downside to this?

Only thing I can think of is I really like the way the Gateway deals with .3DS save files. It just creates a .SAV on my microSD card. How are save files handled with Gateway when I play games installed as .CIA? Where do the .SAV files get placed, and I can I easily take that .SAV and use it on a .3DS file if I choose I don't want to go the .CIA route any longer? It's confusing because I've heard Smash's saves are "encrypted" and cannot be unlocked or something, but I don't know if that is relevant info when dealing with the Gateway. I legitimately purchased Smash from the e-shop and it was literally impossible to get my save from my game which really sucked; trying to prevent that from happening again.

Sorry I know this is more than one question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

redion1992

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, I haven't been following the 3DS modding scene too much so far, but it's time I jumped in. Can someone give me an idiot's guide to getting started with the situation I have, while preserving as much data as possible?

Currently, I have an original model 3DS, on firmware 9.6.0-E (by the looks of it, past the point of no return for downgrading) with saves, eShop, etc. I also just bought a New 3DS, 9.0.0-E and not moving from that. I've ordered a Gateway 3DS, which will hopefully arrive soon. I'd like to make the New 3DS my primary machine, with as much data as can be ported from the old 3DS as possible. I can't use System Transfer right now, because that would mean I had to update the New 3DS. I believe I should start by setting up an EmuNAND - is that right? (Also, regarding running the exploit, I have access to Ocarina of Time 3D and a R4i save dongle, so that's not an issue.)

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
OK, I haven't been following the 3DS modding scene too much so far, but it's time I jumped in. Can someone give me an idiot's guide to getting started with the situation I have, while preserving as much data as possible?

Currently, I have an original model 3DS, on firmware 9.6.0-E (by the looks of it, past the point of no return for downgrading) with saves, eShop, etc. I also just bought a New 3DS, 9.0.0-E and not moving from that. I've ordered a Gateway 3DS, which will hopefully arrive soon. I'd like to make the New 3DS my primary machine, with as much data as can be ported from the old 3DS as possible. I can't use System Transfer right now, because that would mean I had to update the New 3DS. I believe I should start by setting up an EmuNAND - is that right? (Also, regarding running the exploit, I have access to Ocarina of Time 3D and a R4i save dongle, so that's not an issue.)
AFAIK, EmuNAND does not support FW 9.6. I believe you'll have to wait for some time

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, then whats qbits?