• Start date
  • Views 4,474,628
  • Replies 53,776
  • Likes 43

sbm888

Trophies
XP
Country
have you read the guide? Everything you need to know and do is there ;)

If you have any other question while doing it, just ask here or there. Someone will reply.

cheers, I've read teh guide, but have always wondered whether everything is required? I only want to download roms and let my wife play those games, no need for online play at all, wifi will be switched off, etc. so wondering if any of those steps can be missed or is it better to do everything in that guide?

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
I made a screenshot with Miiverse, but it looks normal on my pc. uhm...

zlCfzS93CbIYqUbvQ2

Re-upload the image I cannot see it currently

2skies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do my icons (cia installs) keep moving around on my home screen every time I boot into emunand? Is there a way to "lock" them? I don't particularly enjoy rearranging them every time I boot.

TS26

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all..I am back again. I just have a couple of questions..they're very noobish questions as I've never owned an 3ds before..

I am planning to buy N3ds xl (not the new one) and also gateway 3ds. From what I understood, gateway will not work on FW that are newer than 9.2..so here are the questions

* What FW will the 3ds probably come in? Is it possible that it will be 9.3+ FW straight out of the box?
* If I start the 3ds for the first time will it try to update to the newest FW? as in 9.4 I think? Or will it only update if I try to play a game that requires 9.2?
* Do I need one or two microSD cards for the gateway 3ds? Also do I need to get a microsd card reader or does it come with the gateway? I am sorry like I said I've never owned a 3ds/ds
*if the FW on the device is older than 4, can I use the internet to download a suitable FW? Because i've read somewhere that I need a game to update it to a specific FW.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no need to use such analogies on me, just say how to do this in the technical way :P

I've searched it for both 'shop' and 'eshop' and didn't came up with anything that looks relevant (I don't have a hw flasher).
My apologies. I also looked over that guide and it has not been updated to reflect the latest GW releases.

the tool is very simple to use. I suggest a second SD card to contain the emunand you use for eshop access. Format an emunand from the gateway menu. Once you have booted that emunand in gateway mode download desired content from eshop. Make a backup of the emumand on PC then mount the Sd card with your playing emumnand and use to tool to inject the backup into the playing emunand. Then copy the folder structure over. Insert Sd in 3ds and boot.

Why do my icons (cia installs) keep moving around on my home screen every time I boot into emunand? Is there a way to "lock" them? I don't particularly enjoy rearranging them every time I boot.

Sounds like your nands are linked. If that is not the case you can try organizing with folders. Sorry that's all I have for you.

Hi all..I am back again. I just have a couple of questions..they're very noobish questions as I've never owned an 3ds before..

I am planning to buy N3ds xl (not the new one) and also gateway 3ds. From what I understood, gateway will not work on FW that are newer than 9.2..so here are the questions

* What FW will the 3ds probably come in? Is it possible that it will be 9.3+ FW straight out of the box?
* If I start the 3ds for the first time will it try to update to the newest FW? as in 9.4 I think? Or will it only update if I try to play a game that requires 9.2?
* Do I need one or two microSD cards for the gateway 3ds? Also do I need to get a microsd card reader or does it come with the gateway? I am sorry like I said I've never owned a 3ds/ds
*if the FW on the device is older than 4, can I use the internet to download a suitable FW? Because i've read somewhere that I need a game to update it to a specific FW.

"N3DS" is how we refer to the "New 3DS" so be careful around here. You are a buying a "new to you" 3DS or what we are calling an Old 3DS. :)
1. It will come below 9.2 most likely 8.x or 7.x. Just depends where you get it. It is possible in rare occasions to get a 4.x from a retail store.
2. Not sure what it will want to do out of the box, but it cannot connect to the Internet unless you set up a connection so don't untilmyou are ready. No retail cart has 9.x on it so the highest FW you can update to with cart is 8.x Smash bros has it. 3ds.essh.co lists carts and included firmware. You can also borrow or rent one. 9.5 is what Nintendo will give you if you update online and then you are screwed.
3. You need one mSD gateway and either a mSD and adapter or a SD for the 3DS. At least 4GB for internal SD. An additional SD is helpful when you start switchin emunands around. I personally have Samsung or Sandisk 64GB mSD and two 32GB SD. The gateway will not come with a reader, get an $8 usb from Walmart.

Read, read, read and backup, backup, backup and you will do fine.

TS26

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My apologies. I also looked over that guide and it has not been updated to reflect the latest GW releases.

the tool is very simple to use. I suggest a second SD card to contain the emunand you use for eshop access. Format an emunand from the gateway menu. Once you have booted that emunand in gateway mode download desired content from eshop. Make a backup of the emumand on PC then mount the Sd card with your playing emumnand and use to tool to inject the backup into the playing emunand. Then copy the folder structure over. Insert Sd in 3ds and boot.

Sounds like your nands are linked. If that is not the case you can try organizing with folders. Sorry that's all I have for you.

"N3DS" is how we refer to the "New 3DS" so be careful around here. You are a buying a "new to you" 3DS or what we are calling an Old 3DS. :)
1. It will come below 9.2 most likely 8.x or 7.x. Just depends where you get it. It is possible in rare occasions to get a 4.x from a retail store.
2. Not sure what it will want to do out of the box, but it cannot connect to the Internet unless you set up a connection so don't untilmyou are ready. No retail cart has 9.x on it so the highest FW you can update to with cart is 8.x Smash bros has it. 3ds.essh.co lists carts and included firmware. You can also borrow or rent one. 9.5 is what Nintendo will give you if you update online and then you are screwed.
3. You need one mSD gateway and either a mSD and adapter or a SD for the 3DS. At least 4GB for internal SD. An additional SD is helpful when you start switchin emunands around. I personally have Samsung or Sandisk 64GB mSD and two 32GB SD. The gateway will not come with a reader, get an $8 usb from Walmart.

Read, read, read and backup, backup, backup and you will do fine.

Thanks for replying. Just two last quick questions. I need a microsd card reader to put the files in the gateway MSd, right? My laptop has a port but it's only for normal SD cards. Also, will a 2 GB sd card be enough? Or are there roms larger than that?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for replying. Just two last quick questions. I need a microsd card reader to put the files in the gateway MSd, right? My laptop has a port but it's only for normal SD cards. Also, will a 2 GB sd card be enough? Or are there roms larger than that?
An SD to mSD adapter will work for you. Most mSD cards come with an SD adapter.

No a 2GB SD card will not be big enough. 4 GB is the absolute minimum I have seen recommended and you are not going to be able to put much on that.(updates, saves, DLC, cia). Save yourself some headaches and get a class 10 or better card from a name brand. Pig you are just going to use 3ds/3dz roms on the mSD realize some of the bigger games can be as large as 4GB. Given the pricing structure of cards in the US I wouldnt consider buying anything smaller than 16GB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Format an emunand from the gateway menu. Once you have booted that emunand in gateway mode download desired content from eshop. Make a backup of the emumand on PC then mount the Sd card with your playing emumnand and use to tool to inject the backup into the playing emunand. Then copy the folder structure over. Insert Sd in 3ds and boot.

did you just suggest to use unlinked emunand to make eshop trip? because that's what I've understood by formatting emunand from gateway menu. I am fairly sure it wouldn't work. I guess copying my emunand to my hdd and back to second sd card would be more reasonable

TS26

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An SD to mSD adapter will work for you. Most mSD cards come with an SD adapter.

No a 2GB SD card will not be big enough. 4 GB is the absolute minimum I have seen recommended and you are not going to be able to put much on that.(updates, saves, DLC, cia). Save yourself some headaches and get a class 10 or better card from a name brand. Pig you are just going to use 3ds/3dz roms on the mSD realize some of the bigger games can be as large as 4GB. Given the pricing structure of cards in the US I wouldnt consider buying anything smaller than 16GB

Got it..thanks so much you've been a great help.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hi all, just installed gateway, downgraded firmware to 4.5 and installed DS mode

how do i load the roms I have downloaded and placed in the microsd card?

put then on the root of gw's SD, the n enter emunad/gw mode and press L+select to open the mult game menu
Any news about which Firmware the EU or US N3DS has?

I'm not sure but I think it's lower like 9.2 or something

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So for the 3.04 or whatever the newest exploit is, what files go on the Micro SD in the Red Cart? The launcher.dat goes on the (big) SD card into the 3DS, but what do I put on the other one. Am i doing something wrong?

2skies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I want to unlink my sysNAND and emuNAND, can I format the latter? Or it's only possible to format the sysNAND?

My icon moving solution was solved by unlinked my nands. You want to format just the sysnand without the SD card in. :)

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not sure if the right place to ask, please delete and desconsider if it's the case.

I'm on 8.1 U sys and gateway works fine, but after I put the gateway.dg file in the SD root along with my old NAND.bin backup and launcher.dat after the gateway exploit launches the gateway shows for a while in the upper screen then it blanks and boots me back to 3ds home.

I double checked md5, redownloaded both launcher.dat and gateway.dg but nothing seems to work.

Considering your vast experience, what is the short answer to solve this problem?

Connador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been following the downgrade that came out recently, and now that the MSET exploit is available with spider3DSTools I have a few questions. I have done a bit of research and I'm reasonably sure that I know the answers, but I just want to make sure..

My system is running 9.2 right now. I am interested in downgrading to 4.x, installing a CFW with the Spider3DSTool MSET exploit, and running EmuNAND. I do not have any kind of flash card, though I do have Cubic Ninja and have used the browser exploit for Pokemon so I am familiar with how to run the Spider MSET exploit.

My questions are these:
* Can I play games with the new encryption as long as I have them as a physical game, and would my save files be fine?
* I've read that I can run 9.5 on EmuNAND, that should mean that I can access the eShop, correct?
* I should be able to dump the games that are compatible with the old encryption onto my SD Card, and convert them to .CIAs and play with my original save files, correct?

I can read up on how to dump and package games, but I'm mostly concerned about being able to keep my save files when I dump the games from my cartridges to my SD card. I don't like the idea of carrying many physical games around all of the time, not to mention that it's a bit of a hassle to switch out.

Thank you

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So for the 3.04 or whatever the newest exploit is, what files go on the Micro SD in the Red Cart? The launcher.dat goes on the (big) SD card into the 3DS, but what do I put on the other one. Am i doing something wrong?
.3ds/.3dz files go on the mSD in the gateway card, root directory although it may be possible to folder them now, not sure. Sorry can't link to any or you will ban me. :)
Launcher.dat goes in root of the SD and must be formatted to FAT32. It is recommended to format the mSD to exFAT.
The card 1 saves will end up on the SD as xxxx.sav

Not sure if the right place to ask, please delete and desconsider if it's the case.

I'm on 8.1 U sys and gateway works fine, but after I put the gateway.dg file in the SD root along with my old NAND.bin backup and launcher.dat after the gateway exploit launches the gateway shows for a while in the upper screen then it blanks and boots me back to 3ds home.

I double checked md5, redownloaded both launcher.dat and gateway.dg but nothing seems to work.

Considering your vast experience, what is the short answer to solve this problem?
After the initial setup the gateway auto boots into gateway mode. To boot into the gateway menu to downgrade, backup, test, classic mode etc. you hold the left trigger when the screen turns white/grey.

But I would rather format my emuNAND :unsure:
Ok. Formatting emunand will unlink them. It will also remove all files and settings from emunand. This is the exact opposite result most people want but it is your system. You have been warned.

did you just suggest to use unlinked emunand to make eshop trip? because that's what I've understood by formatting emunand from gateway menu. I am fairly sure it wouldn't work. I guess copying my emunand to my hdd and back to second sd card would be more reasonable

Yes. I suggest you use a second emunand that does not contain any installed content to access the eshop. The purpose is so eshop does not detect content that is not legit and delete it for you. :)

You can to simply copy emunand from a SD card as windows cannot see the hidden partition that contains emunad. That is where the emunand tool comes I to play. You can copy the Nintendo 3ds folder structure on the Sd card, but that folder structure is not "emunand" it is a a data directory for emunand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Anybody here have a Xbox series S and a series X, is the performance difference noticeable? I...