• Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What are the safest steps to formatting a micro sd card for a new game after writing a game on it already using win32 disk imager? I think I've done one wrong already and corrupted a previously working 16GB Sandisk Ultra class 10 micro sd card :( already e-mailed the support for an RMA

well: you shouldn't realy need to format it, as writing the image to the card is a bitwise, low level, straight to the hardware operation without using any filesystems.

you might have a bad dump (check this by using another game, preferably one you know to work)

you can also try to do a bitwise overwrite of the sdcard, the easiest way to do so is to use the panasonic sdformater and select under options -> format type -> FULL (erase off).

this will take quite some time though, as this will need to write the full size of the card.

oooharuooo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
right now i'm in fw 7.0 emunand, does anyone know how do I go back to 6.2 ( I have 6.2 backup ). I read the emuNand tool but don't understand, can you guys teach me step by step, thanks !!!

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
right now i'm in fw 7.0 emunand, does anyone know how do I go back to 6.2 ( I have 6.2 backup ). I read the emuNand tool but don't understand, can you guys teach me step by step, thanks !!!

By using the tool you used to do the backup:
if you've done a full sdcard image (using win32diskimager or dd) write it back using win32diskimager or dd.

if you used n1ghtys emuNAND tool use it to reinject the emunand.

if you are confusing the nand.bin on the big SD card with a emunand backup: it isn't, it's a backup of the 3DS original memory. you'll have to wait for the new Gateway software release to get a working emunand

toge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
LOL. You can't break an SD card just by corrupting the data partition, you can get it working again by just reformating it using Windows Partition Manager, or any other partition managing tool.

I tried mounting an SD card without partition, and Win32DiskImager detects it correctly (it's in the drop down list).
Maybe because I'm on WinXP and it doesn't prompt to format the drive automatically? WindowsXP adds it to the device list, gives it a letter, and asks to format it only if I try to display the device's content.

well: you shouldn't realy need to format it, as writing the image to the card is a bitwise, low level, straight to the hardware operation without using any filesystems.

you might have a bad dump (check this by using another game, preferably one you know to work)

you can also try to do a bitwise overwrite of the sdcard, the easiest way to do so is to use the panasonic sdformater and select under options -> format type -> FULL (erase off).

this will take quite some time though, as this will need to write the full size of the card.
Originally I wrote sonic on it which worked, but when I tried to format it and write Zelda on it, it failed during the write.

despite using several tools such as SD formatter, partition magic, and windows format, the SD card will not format at all, all the programs will crash and win32 imager doesn't detect the card what so ever. :( it won't format whatsoever and I have no idea why

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Originally I wrote sonic on it which worked, but when I tried to format it and write Zelda on it, it failed during the write.

despite using several tools such as SD formatter, partition magic, and windows format, the SD card will not format at all, all the programs will crash and win32 imager doesn't detect the card what so ever. :( it won't format whatsoever and I have no idea why

sounds more like a problem with your sdcard writer. do you happen to have another sd or another writer to test?

and are the programs just closing, or do the give an error message?

Valhalla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys quick question, is it possible to transfer saves of the same 3ds rom between r4i deluxe and gateway? and if so can anyone give me a quick guide of the process.

Thanks.

WIIGAMERZZZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there peeps.

I have a 3ds xl with a firmware of 4.4 on it.

If I (or my kids) wanted to play this game

Moshi_Monsters_Katsuma_Unleashed which has a firmware requirement of 5.1 is there no way I can play it?

I assume there isn't a way of playing it.

thanks 82268160 5.1.0U

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hi there peeps.

I have a 3ds xl with a firmware of 4.4 on it.

If I (or my kids) wanted to play this game

Moshi_Monsters_Katsuma_Unleashed which has a firmware requirement of 5.1 is there no way I can play it?

I assume there isn't a way of playing it.

thanks 82268160 5.1.0U

Most (3/4) 3DS flashcards can play that.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have the r4i gold deluxe, do you know if that will play it.

Won't it try and force me to update?

it won't make you update as long as you use gateway's launcher version 1.2 or r4i's launcher 2.0 (that are almost the same thing).
it seems you are not expert on this, so I suggest you to not use gateway's version 2.0b1 or r4i's version 3.0 (again, the same thing but with different strings) as they are not as problem-free as gateway 1.2 and, if you aren't careful, you may update the sysnand by accident.

wait for gateway's 2.0 final release.

my2k2zx2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an Ambassador 4.5 with the 6.3 update downloaded.

I want to have the update notification removed.

If I apply the 6.3 update to the emunand and format the sysnand. Will my Ambassador games still be available under the emunand?

Or will they be gone for good once I format the sysnand?

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
I have an Ambassador 4.5 with the 6.3 update downloaded.

I want to have the update notification removed.

If I apply the 6.3 update to the emunand and format the sysnand. Will my Ambassador games still be available under the emunand?

Or will they be gone for good once I format the sysnand?

i dont think they would be gone for good, actual nand is still in place isnt it? However i did get an odd issue with a title that i downloaded in emunand from the eshop. It appears in my actual nand (4.5) but wont boot as i downloaded it on higher firmware. It does play but only via emunand.

Anyway i would think originally downloaded material would be playable on the emunand as well as on your original nand.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can you completely remove the emunand the one that you created from the blue card and start over?? if so how? if not no big deal

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to remove the emunand just by formatting the SD card, although you'll want to do it kinda specailly because the Gatway Emunand format tool makes 2 partitions on your sd card. To start over, I think you could just do the format emunand tool and as long as you have the NAND.BIN on the FAT32 partition it'll format that NAND.BIN into a new emunand.

What I want to know:

Is there anyone with knowledge of the specific technical reasons online play doesn't work on the current flashcards? Does each cart have a specific ID or something?

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
You should be able to remove the emunand just by formatting the SD card, although you'll want to do it kinda specailly because the Gatway Emunand format tool makes 2 partitions on your sd card. To start over, I think you could just do the format emunand tool and as long as you have the NAND.BIN on the FAT32 partition it'll format that NAND.BIN into a new emunand.

Actually, it moves the start of the first partition 1GB behind.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.