Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So if I update it now to 7.x, which I understand has issues but roms can play[...]
You know that 4.4.0 with/without EmuNAND can play ROMs with all required system version too? There is a System version spoofing, you don't need to update to 7.0.0 or even need to have EmuNAND to play roms.
Keeping SysNAND 4.4.0 or EmuNAND 4.4.0 is fine.
only 4.1.0 doesn't work with v2.0b1's spoofing patch.

Updating EmuNAND is required only if you want to play your retail cartridges requiring a higher System menu version.

Reactions: 3dstar

79TAKid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for some advice.

-Bought 3DS XL Mario & Luigi ed. w/6.2.0 12U last night
-I've had a DS Lite w/Acekard 2i for years
-Didn't read up on 3DS flash carts as well as I thought before buying (not a big deal)
-Been researching since last night

So I know my firmware is too new for the current 3DS carts, I don't mind buying some of the 3DS games I really want in the mean time. I was hoping i'd be able to use my Acekard 2i to play all my DS games but sounds like the Acekard is just dead for the 3DS now, is that correct?

After reading this thread it sounds like the Supercard DS TWO is what i'd want to get to keep playing DS Roms?
-Is this the correct one? http://www.realhotstuff.com/Supercard-DSTWO_p_25.html
(If I could continue to play my DS game roms on the 3DS that would be amazing!)

Do you know if they are pretty quick with the DS TWO updates?
(I may want to go ahead and update my 3DS so I can use all of its features, as long as the DSTWO works with the latest update)

squidward

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. Noob here with a few questions. I have the Gateway 3DS working. EmuNand is on 6.3 (though I can't access the system settings menu in Gateway mode, it just keeps shooting red arrows).

My Gateway mode does not read retail 3DS catridges. Is that correct or am I having an error in my EmuNand setup?

I would like to backup the save game files from my catridges, so I can continue the quests on the Gateway 3DS. Can I do this in 4.5 RealNand somehow? Or is there a way that the Gateway 3DS is supposed to read retail cartridges and I can simply enter the game, make it to a save point, and then exit the game with Home>Exit and I'll have a new save game file on the SD card?

Thank you in advance for your help.

ginryu

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi. Noob here with a few questions. I have the Gateway 3DS working. EmuNand is on 6.3 (though I can't access the system settings menu in Gateway mode, it just keeps shooting red arrows).

My Gateway mode does not read retail 3DS catridges. Is that correct or am I having an error in my EmuNand setup?

I would like to backup the save game files from my catridges, so I can continue the quests on the Gateway 3DS. Can I do this in 4.5 RealNand somehow? Or is there a way that the Gateway 3DS is supposed to read retail cartridges and I can simply enter the game, make it to a save point, and then exit the game with Home>Exit and I'll have a new save game file on the SD card?

Thank you in advance for your help.

You have two modes to enter emuNAND, GW mode and Classic mode, in GW you access the GW card and the classic mode is for you to go online and use retail cards.

Your saved games are on the 3ds SD card not in the game itself so they should be readable on the GW card as long is the same region as far as i know, you will have to try it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would like to backup the save game files from my catridges, so I can continue the quests on the Gateway 3DS.
There's currently no way to backup a retail cartridge savegame with gateway or EmuNAND.
But if you want to play cartridge, you need to boot Gateway mode while holding L button, and select EmuNAND Classic.
I suppose your game doesn't require v6.0.0 or newer? if it does, you will lose your savegame if you play on EmuNAND.

Are you sure you are in 6.3.0 emuNAND? Entering settings should work.
If you see L+R for the camera instead of L and R on each side, then you are on v7.0.0 and entering settings doesn't work.

pedreters2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So:
<4.5 sysNAND for the <4.5 retail games
>4.5 emuNAND for the >4.5 retail games
no emuNAND needed for roms

is this how it works?

LazyFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Jersey
Hi,
My 3DS XL is 4.4 firmware and I created the emulated Nand firmware with the GW prefix as the same 4.4.
I have tried some titles which all worked okay. Then I tried Luguis Mansion 2 (E) and this worked. I was surprised this worked as I thought it required 4.5 firmware at least. I keep the 3DS offline for now just to be safe.

Not wanting to raise issue seeing as all is good, but to gain some knowledge from the people in the know on here
  • Do any original game carts require more than 4.5 at the moment?
  • Should I update online my emulated nand 4.4 GW system to the latest?
  • And is that 6.3 or 7.0 now?
  • Is there a choice or it is 6.3 or 7.0 and that's it?
  • If it is 7.0 are there any bad side affects that may force me to reinstall everything, even on the emulated GW nand?
Thanks for the help and much appreciated.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So:
<4.5 sysNAND for the <4.5 retail games
>4.5 emuNAND for the >4.5 retail games
no emuNAND needed for roms

is this how it works?
yes.
EmuNAND is not needed for <4.5 retail games, but they work fine in EmuNAND Classic too.So you can resume to this (with v2.0b1):

unpatched mode : All retail games as long as System version >= Game required version.
Gateway mode : All ROMs (except Pokémon/Animal crossing)
EmuNAND normal : All ROMs (except Pokémon/Animal crossing)
EmuNAND Classic : All retail games as long as System version >= Game required version.

[...]Then I tried Luguis Mansion 2 (E) and this worked. I was surprised this worked as I thought it required 4.5 firmware at least.[...]
  • Do any original game carts require more than 4.5 at the moment?
  • Should I update online my emulated nand 4.4 GW system to the latest?
  • And is that 6.3 or 7.0 now?
  • Is there a choice or it is 6.3 or 7.0 and that's it?
  • If it is 7.0 are there any bad side affects that may force me to reinstall everything, even on the emulated GW nand?
Thanks for the help and much appreciated.
Gateway mode has System version spoofing, meaning whatever the required version, it won't ask to update.

- Yes, there are games requiring 5.1, 6.2, etc. You can check here : http://3ds.essh.co
- no, if you don't need. Yes if you need to play a retail game (retail game mode doesn't have system version spoofing)
- If you update online, it will always download the latest version.
- 7.0 doesn't work fine with v2.0b1, no patches and no access to any application except launching retail game.

You should look at known bugs here :
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_ha..._v2.0b1.2C_R4i_3DS_Gold_Deluxe.2F3DSLink_v3.0
(and other part of the FAQ too)

squidward

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. Thank you all for the help. I had no idea what the Classic Gateway mode was for. [[NOOB]]

So my camera does show L+R. I guess that means I'm on 7.0.0 and my system settings won't work. I think my problem of having to reset with the blue cart is when I freeze and lock up when I attempt to access the system settings.

Thank you for the info on the save games. I saw some USB adapter thing that someone else linked to for about $40 on Amazon, but I don't think I need it that bad. (If that thing even works).

Thanks again.

There's currently no way to backup a retail cartridge savegame with gateway or EmuNAND.
But if you want to play cartridge, you need to boot Gateway mode while holding L button, and select EmuNAND Classic.
I suppose your game doesn't require v6.0.0 or newer? if it does, you will lose your savegame if you play on EmuNAND.

Are you sure you are in 6.3.0 emuNAND? Entering settings should work.
If you see L+R for the camera instead of L and R on each side, then you are on v7.0.0 and entering settings doesn't work.

Gerbilly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A few months back I bought my kids a 3ds (v4.1) and a 3dsxl (v4.4) for Christmas plus two Gateway packs. I also bought them two 8gb and 2 32gb micro-sd cards (hoping for multi-rom support soon). I set up both 3ds' with the 1.2 version firmware and installed Super Mario on both Gateways which play fine. My questions are:
1. Do I (or should I) update the 3ds firmware (real not emunand) from 4.1 (and 4.4?) to 4.5 in order to use the Gateway properly (Improve game compatibility)?
2. Do I need to use 2.? (whatever version is current) Gateway firmware to have hardware spoofing or is that also included in 1.2?
3. If I do need to update the 3ds firmware from 4.1 (or 4.4) to 4.5 is this possible through a ROM? I have read posts where people claim this is possible and others where people say a real cartridge is required. When updating the firmware (either via ROM or cartridge) does the version number of the new firmware appear in a message prior to installation to help me avoid accidentally upgrading my firmware beyond 4.5?
Thanks for any assistance.

inuyasha555

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A few months back I bought my kids a 3ds (v4.1) and a 3dsxl (v4.4) for Christmas plus two Gateway packs. I also bought them two 8gb and 2 32gb micro-sd cards (hoping for multi-rom support soon). I set up both 3ds' with the 1.2 version firmware and installed Super Mario on both Gateways which play fine. My questions are:
1. Do I (or should I) update the 3ds firmware (real not emunand) from 4.1 (and 4.4?) to 4.5 in order to use the Gateway properly (Improve game compatibility)?
2. Do I need to use 2.? (whatever version is current) Gateway firmware to have hardware spoofing or is that also included in 1.2?
3. If I do need to update the 3ds firmware from 4.1 (or 4.4) to 4.5 is this possible through a ROM? I have read posts where people claim this is possible and others where people say a real cartridge is required. When updating the firmware (either via ROM or cartridge) does the version number of the new firmware appear in a message prior to installation to help me avoid accidentally upgrading my firmware beyond 4.5?
Thanks for any assistance.

1. Probably not much of a difference at all.
2. Hardware spoofing? There's region spoofing and firmware spoofing in 1.2 but hardware?
3. It is but you'd need to find Gateway's original firmware without firmware spoofing

troyson20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, say one were to get a hold of a Mario Kart 7 bundle 3DS from 2011 and a Gateway card.

This 3DS would come with Mario Kart 7 preinstalled on the SD card and with a firmware well below 4.5 because of the manufacturing date. With an up-to-date emunand, one should be able to access the e-shop to download the 1.1 patch for Mario Kart multiplayer, correct? Would you be able to play that pre-installed game online at that point through the emunand?

Edit: Does the Mario Kart 7 bundle carry any value online? My local Wal-mart has a stack of them for some reason.

TheGlow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to use a Gateway 3ds card or posible CFW/homebrew you will need to get a 3ds/xl with a firmware between 4.1 and 4.5 cause the 2ds comes with 6.x by default. If you don't care about gateway or any posible hack for it in the near time and/or if you are on a budget, go for it as i think is a pretty sweet console, i like the design of it and the fact that is cheaper.
I asked my daughter which she wanted, she said 2ds, so I already have that.
So with that in mind, are there still options? DS roms, or general emulators?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/86HNVHp9ts4?si=ZtnzsnhlNxNN-Fnu +1