• Likes 43

chris15326

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey guys and girls!

So I have a HUGE problem over here with my NEW 3DS XL...
I bought that one fully finished with Luma CFW etc. on it 3 years ago.
I didnt touched the device for over a year now I believe.
So basically I have no clue about Luma CFW and the different possibilities in terms of updating it / what procedure is the right one in my case and I can't contact the seller anymore who helped me with such things in the past.

I found this post that made me insecure and confused even more:
"Just download the latest version and copy the boot.firm to your SD card
If you have Luma3DS on your CTRNAND, then you will need to follow these steps to update that as well"

Hope anybody can help me on how I could find out how I need to update my Luma CFW properly. Cause if I remember right I need to update Luma before I update the normal firmware of the 3DS.

Thank you all so much for your time and help!

With kind regards
Chris

Frank_Lee_Bodacious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I couldn't find a clear answer in looking over the faqs and install guides. If I buy a refurbished New 3DS XL today directly from Nintendo, will it come with a firmware that is too new to install fully-featured custom firmware on without a soldered hardmod?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I couldn't find a clear answer in looking over the faqs and install guides. If I buy a refurbished New 3DS XL today directly from Nintendo, will it come with a firmware that is too new to install fully-featured custom firmware on without a soldered hardmod?
there is no firmware nintendo can send at anyone where you cannot install cfw onto it. There is no worries about that.

Reactions: Frank_Lee_Bodacious

Frank_Lee_Bodacious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is no firmware nintendo can send at anyone where you cannot install cfw onto it. There is no worries about that.

That is good to hear. What confused me is that in reading the 3DS Hacks Guide, it says "This guide will work on New 3DS, Old 3DS, New 2DS, and Old 2DS in all regions on firmware 11.11.0 or below." What I wasn't clear on was whether or not a unit bought from Nintendo now might have a firmware version higher than that. Thanks for your amazingly fast help!

EDITED to add: in looking at the features of the New 3DS and New 2DS, there are fewer disadvantages to the 2DS than I thought, so I may go that way instead..

Last edited by Frank_Lee_Bodacious,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
That is good to hear. What confused me is that in reading the 3DS Hacks Guide, it says "This guide will work on New 3DS, Old 3DS, New 2DS, and Old 2DS in all regions on firmware 11.11.0 or below." What I wasn't clear on was whether or not a unit bought from Nintendo now might have a firmware version higher than that. Thanks for your amazingly fast help!
That is added so it will still be true in the future, in case anything needs to be updated to still work if there is a new firmware released.

Reactions: Frank_Lee_Bodacious

Frank_Lee_Bodacious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is added so it will still be true in the future, in case anything needs to be updated to still work if there is a new firmware released.

Cool. Very helpful advice! I placed the order with Nintendo. It will actually be the first Nintendo device I've bought since the N64. (Not through prejudice against Nintendo; I just went many years only playing games on the computer out of force of habit.)

Reactions: Quantumcat

comokepa

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a new 3DS LL on 11.3.0-36J. I was following https://3ds.hacks.guide/seedminer to hack it but at one point it says:

6. Go to your Friend List (the orange Face Icon in the top row of your Home Menu)
7. Find your Mii profile, then find the “Friend Code” field on the top screen​

The console had no Mii so I created one. My Mii profile in Friend List has no Friend Code, though. It literally says フレンドコード ???? - ???? - ????

How do I get one?

Edit: My mistake. For 11.3 I should purportedly use soundhax, not seedminer. I am still intrigued about why I have no Friend code. Do I need to have the console connected to Nintendo at least once to get one? If so, does that mean that as of now, Seedminer is not a viable way should Nintendo ever drop network support for the 3DS?

Last edited by comokepa,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I have a sky3ds, the version with the blue button.
Is it patched on the latest fw? Will it work at all?
I believe games after a certain date won't work with it, if so that's ok with me. But what's the latest game I can run on it?

(Before you tell me to hack the 3ds instead of use this sky3ds card, yes I agree, but I don't have access to the 3ds, the person is just a child and I want to mail them some games!)

SpiderPig2810

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I bought a new 2 DS XL yesterday. Should i update the firmware to the newest and then try to install CFW or first CFW and then update to the newest firmware? Does the tutorial work with all firmwares (also the newest)?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I bought a new 2 DS XL yesterday. Should i update the firmware to the newest and then try to install CFW or first CFW and then update to the newest firmware? Does the tutorial work with all firmwares (also the newest)?
For N2DSXL there are only two possibilities:
  • Seedminer→ Update first, then install CFW.
  • ntrboot → Does not matter if you update before or after installing CFW.
Please only use https://3ds.hacks.guide and not any video guides.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: Quantumcat

jacrdz

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello, hope some1 can answer this. Reading the 3dshacks guide there is a step in Installing Boot9strap (Fredtool) that says "copy the private folder from... to the root of your sd card". My question is, what if i already have a private folder in the root of my sd card, should i merge the contents of these folders? TIA.

roland81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I previously had my 2DS XL CFW-hacked but my microSD, which I use for the console, got corrupted last night so I had to format it. Do I have to install boot9strap again before installing Luma3DS?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, I previously had my 2DS XL CFW-hacked but my microSD, which I use for the console, got corrupted last night so I had to format it. Do I have to install boot9strap again before installing Luma3DS?
B9S is not installed on the SD – it is on the console NAND. Please test your freshly FAT32 formatted, empty micro-SD for obvious defects and/or fake:
  • SD Checking: Windows, Linux, OS X.
    • If you get any errors replace the SD.
    • If you get no errors you can use the SD.
Restore your latest full backup of your micro-SD… or… if there is none:
  • Download latest Luma3DS and unpack boot.firm and boot.3dsx to the root of your SD.
  • Repeat the finalizing setup.
  • Reinstall your games and restore your backed up saves (if any) with JKSM and/or Checkpoint

roland81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
B9S is not installed on the SD – it is on the console NAND. Please test your freshly FAT32 formatted, empty micro-SD for obvious defects and/or fake:
  • SD Checking:
    • If you get any errors replace the SD.
    • If you get no errors you can use the SD.
Restore your latest full backup of your micro-SD… or… if there is none:
  • Download latest Luma3Ds and unpack boot.firm and boot.3dsx to the root of your SD.
  • Repeat the finalizing setup.
  • Reinstall your games and restore your backed up saves (if any) with JKSM and/or Checkpoint
Thanks for the thorough help. The microSD got corrupted after I backed up the saves so I wasn't too bummed.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Atomic-Red-Star

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a bit of a follow-up from a question from a few months ago. After installing a CFW on my 2DS XL which includes tons of NNID legitimately bought digital games and non-bought CIA VC games, I decided to buy a 3DS XL for some of the awesome SEGA 3D games I own digitally. After making a NAND back-up of my CFW 2DS XL and transferring my NNID games to the new stock 3DS XL, what happens to the legitimate NNID games on SD card if I restore the NAND back-up to the CFW 2DS XL? Is there a way for me to "re-activate" those games I already bought, on the source CFW 2DS XL with a new NNID? Is the only way to try to figure out how to re-install those games as CIA from other sources/ROMs? Or is there a way for me to somehow re-use the digital copies I already own? I don't mind using a stock 3DS for my legit games and a CFW 2DS for my other games, but I stayed away until now from installing non-legitimate 3DS/2DS games. I've only done old-school, original, DS games via flashcards, retroarch emulation, and VC injections, as for some reason, looking for 3DS ROMs or FreeShops felt more risky to me.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Atomic-Red-Star,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
This is a bit of a follow-up from a question from a few months ago. After installing a CFW on my 2DS XL which includes tons of NNID legitimately bought digital games and non-bought CIA VC games, I decided to buy a 3DS XL for some of the awesome SEGA 3D games I own digitally. After making a NAND back-up of my CFW 2DS XL and transferring my NNID games to the new stock 3DS XL, what happens to the legitimate NNID games on SD card if I restore the NAND back-up to the CFW 2DS XL? Is there a way for me to "re-activate" those games I already bought, on the source CFW 2DS XL with a new NNID? Is the only way to try to figure out how to re-install those games as CIA from other sources/ROMs? Or is there a way for me to somehow re-use the digital copies I already own? I don't mind using a stock 3DS for my legit games and a CFW 2DS for my other games, but I stayed away until now from installing non-legitimate 3DS/2DS games. I've only done old-school, original, DS games via flashcards, retroarch emulation, and VC injections, as for some reason, looking for 3DS ROMs or FreeShops felt more risky to me.

Thank you in advance!
The games will appear on the original console, until you visit the eShop or do anything online - then they'll disappear. Nintendo servers will tell the console that it doesn't own those games and they'll no longer appear on the home menu. You can get them back by using tikShop or tikDevil or similar - which will install all the tickets and allow them to be played. They'll basically be like pirated games from that point forward. You can't register them with another NNID.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries