DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
When i put down my glasses (like mostly in the evening and i play my 3DS and turn on 3D i see blurred /2 images (i have good eyesight closeby :P ) , sure No 3D and terrible to look at; but when i put on my glasses, everything looks like it should be with 3D on. Then again, i never use 3D, not on O3DS (XL) and not on N3DS (XL) it makes me sick after 10minutes of gameplay (same for movies, i have to put down the 3D glasses, so yes, i never go to a cinema for 3D) Same for atractions (Ratatouille in Eurodisney, was fun, but best it doesn't take longer or i would feel bad)

Yes, i do put my glasses off when i don't want to see ppl faces around me, cause everything further then 50cm is blurred :P

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The reason the 3ds has 3d is to amaze you with its pretty graphix and stuff... but sadly actual graphical quality, framerate and screen resolution suck.
I wish nintendo had put more effort into the hardware of the 3ds so that it could actually support this graphically intensive effect.

Reactions: piratesephiroth

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well I don't have glasses, I have one "lazy eye" though, which has some reduced eye sight.

Anyway, I never thought of the distance etc.. because I thought this tech of 2015 shouldn't be so lame that it didn't work if you don't move in a PERFECT position.

Well, I moved around a little going back and forth. and I found a "sweet spot" that is INCREDIBLY small , and it's not always 100% perfect even sometimes like 90% -and small ghostings.

So atleast the ghosting double images is gone now in tales of the abyss.
I haven't met any real 3D effects yet, other then the text boxes seeming to pop out a bit more.
But I like the increase brightness lmao best feature of 3d..? xD

Anyways my eyes don't seem to have much issue with it, atleast with this game.

But if I move again or whatever it is lost, and that's really annoying.
I have to hold up the 3ds with my hands .. for most/perfect experience, and that gets tiring and get cramps. if I put against my chest/belly often it doesn't work as well.

I am amazed they actually produced such an infant technology for mainstream. hearing also as many games don't use it.
Tales of the Abyss doesn't have much of a 3D effect since it is one of the early 3DS releases, and a port at that. Ports generally don't use the 3D very well.

On the n3DS you should definitely be able to see the 3D without being in the sweet spot thanks to the super stable 3D, you should try what bowser suggested as I'm pretty certain that one of those things is your problem.

Yeah it was pretty annoying on the o3DS, with the sweet spot and all, but it's glasses-free and that was an entirely new concept at the time. You get used to the sweet spot after a while and it becomes natural to hold the console in that position, but it's still annoying as you can't really relax while playing. That is completely fixed now though, and honestly they should have had super-stable 3D from the beginning as it actually makes the 3D far less annoying to use.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does that mean, im special...?
Sorry, I haven't read through all of this and I am very busy and want to go do my other tasks, but before I wanted to share with you my experience.
First, you are not special, there are many people that see double image instead of 3D in the 3DS.

Regarding this I will give my example.
I have a small degree of strabismus, also known as lazy eye.
In the normal day by day experience (aka real world) I don't see double image, and I don't really need glasses.
But with the 3DS I just can't get the 3D... normally...
Now, if I use special glasses for strabismus, that is, glasses with a thin special Fresnel film applied to them for the lazy eye, I see the 3D in the 3DS.
Even so, in this case it only lasts so long, because my eyes gets tired very fast and it tends to go toward headache.
For me, the solution might be eye muscle surgery, stopping my lazy eye from... being lazy...
Perhaps I might do it in the future, but as for now I don't find "not seeing 3D correctly on the 3DS" such a problem to justify it.

EMP Knightmare

Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I for one always have 3D on max all the time, one thing I can say is check the game your playing. Some games IE: Resident Evil Revelations has a separate setting in which can really mess up the 3D, if not then get new eyes or be still when playing on the older models as you have to have it at a certain level to view the 3D properly.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Well I don't have glasses, I have one "lazy eye" though, which has some reduced eye sight.

Anyway, I never thought of the distance etc.. because I thought this tech of 2015 shouldn't be so lame that it didn't work if you don't move in a PERFECT position.

Well, I moved around a little going back and forth. and I found a "sweet spot" that is INCREDIBLY small , and it's not always 100% perfect even sometimes like 90% -and small ghostings.

So atleast the ghosting double images is gone now in tales of the abyss.
I haven't met any real 3D effects yet, other then the text boxes seeming to pop out a bit more.
But I like the increase brightness lmao best feature of 3d..? xD

Anyways my eyes don't seem to have much issue with it, atleast with this game.

But if I move again or whatever it is lost, and that's really annoying.
I have to hold up the 3ds with my hands .. for most/perfect experience, and that gets tiring and get cramps. if I put against my chest/belly often it doesn't work as well.

I am amazed they actually produced such an infant technology for mainstream. hearing also as many games don't use it.
The technology is sound and perfectly fine - it's the size factor of the device that limits the 3DS. IMAX cinemas display 3D well because of the incredibly large screen which naturally gives it an incredibly broad viewing range of a few feet or so. Shrink that screen to a few inches and you'd have the same, maybe even smaller viewing range than the 3DS, because IMAX doesn't track faces.

Everybody experiences 3D differently. Some can see pop-out well but sees depth as flat, some can see depth just fine but pop-outs double - this only shows you that your eyes are better at focusing on near or far objects, respectively. Most of us, however, sees both. I'm far-sighted, so I do better with depth effects (3D that makes it look like you're looking inside a tiny aquarium/terrarium), but I can see pop-outs too. Hell, I even stick my finger at the top edge of the screen to measure how far the pop-out sticks out of the screen. It's a good trick to do, and confirms to your brain that this thing is really popping out.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The technology is sound and perfectly fine - it's the size factor of the device that limits the 3DS. IMAX cinemas display 3D well because of the incredibly large screen which naturally gives it an incredibly broad viewing range of a few feet or so. Shrink that screen to a few inches and you'd have the same, maybe even smaller viewing range than the 3DS, because IMAX doesn't track faces.

Everybody experiences 3D differently. Some can see pop-out well but sees depth as flat, some can see depth just fine but pop-outs double - this only shows you that your eyes are better at focusing on near or far objects, respectively. Most of us, however, sees both. I'm far-sighted, so I do better with depth effects (3D that makes it look like you're looking inside a tiny aquarium/terrarium), but I can see pop-outs too. Hell, I even stick my finger at the top edge of the screen to measure how far the pop-out sticks out of the screen. It's a good trick to do, and confirms to your brain that this thing is really popping out.
3D with glasses doesn't need to track faces...

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I don't like 3D, tryed on 3DS, N3DS, 3D TVs and cinema....everytime after 30ish minutes my head and eyes hurt.
So no 3D for me, and I also think it's just a gimmick...

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't like 3D, tryed on 3DS, N3DS, 3D TVs and cinema....everytime after 30ish minutes my head and eyes hurt.
I think anything that doesn't truly contribute to the gaming experience is a gimmick. I don't think that motion controls on the Wii were a gimmick, because they introduced a different way of gaming that was quite enjoyable for a lot of people. The 3D effect though, that just looks cool until it makes your head hurt.

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I think anything that doesn't truly contribute to the gaming experience is a gimmick. I don't think that motion controls on the Wii were a gimmick, because they introduced a different way of gaming that was quite enjoyable for a lot of people. The 3D effect though, that just looks cool until it makes your head hurt.

Well, the feeling is awful, it feels like someone is trying to pull out my eyeballs with pliers.
And also some games tend to look like a smeared vaseline over top screen...

But I like 3DS/N3DS very much as normal gaming handheld ;)

EDIT: Regarding the Wii, well some games used motion controls right (FPS-es, LightGun games, strategy games), but in many games, they were forced and unnatural.
Donkey Kong Country is the example of forced motion controls, that's why I like 3DS version more than Wii (despite the 60fps vs 30fps).

Last edited by Disco,

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
A very profitable gimmick :)

I think there's more to it than just looking cool. I got used to the depth perception on 3DS and now when I play Paper Mario 64 on Wii U VC I'm having trouble attacking enemies. When I swing the hammer or jump I miss because they're actually more in the foreground/background.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
A very profitable gimmick :)

I think there's more to it than just looking cool. I got used to the depth perception on 3DS and now when I play Paper Mario 64 on Wii U VC I'm having trouble attacking enemies. When I swing the hammer or jump I miss because they're actually more in the foreground/background.
True, but very few games actually integrate 3D in a helpful way.

PS: Because you have a Wii U

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
As with anything involving the human body, your body builds resistance to things it is constantly exposed to, to a certain degree. But all this head hurt is for the most part overrated, but I do not dispute the validity of some claims. But yeah, most of it is just people overblowing things they do not experience often.

You get used to it if you let it. Obviously don't do it though if you're experiencing physical pain or throwing up because of nausea.

Reactions: bowser

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
As with anything involving the human body, your body builds resistance to things it is constantly exposed to, to a certain degree. But all this head hurt is for the most part overrated, but I do not dispute the validity of some claims. But yeah, most of it is just people overblowing things they do not experience often.

You get used to it if you let it. Obviously don't do it though if you're experiencing physical pain or throwing up because of nausea.
I've never thrown up from it, but it does cause my eyes to hurt, then eventually a headache if I keep it up.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't like it? Don't use it. That's what I do. Maybe you should try it on a/an N3DS or something if you don't already have one. I have never used one extensively, but from my 3-4 minute experience with a demo unit, it's a lot better than an O3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-