Hacking 2DS Doesn't Work; Dropped Mid-Boot (Help)

luckyboy66666666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One day, while my 2DS was showing the GM9 boot splash screen, I dropped it. It immediately turned off. When I opened up my 2DS, I figured out that the battery's plugin had come out of the soldered slot, preventing the flow of electricity to the rest of the 2DS. I fixed it and booted my 2DS up again. Now, it shows the blue light and immediately turns off (even without the SD card). Does this mean I have a corrupted NAND? Whether or not this is the case, is there a way I can fix it?

ThatGamingAirman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One day, while my 2DS was showing the GM9 boot splash screen, I dropped it. It immediately turned off. When I opened up my 2DS, I figured out that the battery's plugin had come out of the soldered slot, preventing the flow of electricity to the rest of the 2DS. I fixed it and booted my 2DS up again. Now, it shows the blue light and immediately turns off (even without the SD card). Does this mean I have a corrupted NAND? Whether or not this is the case, is there a way I can fix it?
I had something similar happen before try turning it on while plugged in to a charger helped me out might help you

luckyboy66666666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean the notification light, or the power light? And were you able to boot this unit without an SD card before?
I mean the power light and I was able to boot without an SD card before.
I had something similar happen before try turning it on while plugged in to a charger helped me out might help you
I will try that, but I doubt that will help. It seems like a software error. It doesn't have a red power light when turned on.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I will try that, but I doubt that will help. It seems like a software error. It doesn't have a red power light when turned on.
Is this a old 2ds? I think the wifi module may of came loose. But I would need @TurdPooCharger 's opinion on that.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

ThatGamingAirman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It doesn’t have to be red when doing because when I did it, it was blue but idk you could also try letting it die before turning it while on the charger but idk it may not work

luckyboy66666666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see a black square where I think the module should be. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Attachments

• WIN_20200613_00_25_53_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200613_00_25_53_Pro.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 163
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see a black square where I think the module should be. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.
You have the revised o2DS (late 2015+ production) that has the WiFi module baked onto the motherboard.
That means your issue isn't the unseated WiFi board that's common on other o3DS, o3DSXL, and o2DS (early production).

Reassemble the o2DS. See if this elicits any response.

Reactions: luckyboy66666666

luckyboy66666666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by luckyboy66666666,

luckyboy66666666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did hardmod it before. At least, a relative did it for me. I know the basic gist of it, though. I thought I might be able to at least power it on to the point where I could plug it in my computer.
I did notice that my touchscreen's ribbon cable had torn a bit when I opened up my 2DS this time. One of the metal wires inside the cable was torn. Might that stop it from booting? (I didn't try to hardmod before posting)

Last edited by luckyboy66666666,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@luckyboy66666666, the reason your o2DS won't boot without the SD card inserted (ie, blue LED turns on and then off) is because CTRNAND Luma3DS is missing. That means the only way it can boot any payload would be from the SD card.

However, if the o2DS also doesn't read and launch either of these files with the reformatted [ FAT32 format | 32 KB cluster size | MBR disk | Primary partition ] SD card as described in that troubleshooting link in post #11,
  • boot.firm (SafeB9SInstaller) - to test for presence of B9S custom firmware.
  • arm9loaderhax.bin (Luma3DS v7.0.5) - to test for the presence of A9LH custom firmware.
, that points to the fall most likely damaging the SD card slot reader.

If you have another fully functional o2DS system on hand, you can determine whether hardware fault is coming from the motherboard or the accessories would be swapping their motherboards.
  • If donor motherboard hooked up in main body works, that means the main motherboard is broken.
  • Likewise, if main motherboard hooked up in donor body works, that means the main body has a broken accessory (ie, digitizer, screens, camera).
I did notice that my touchscreen's ribbon cable had torn a bit when I opened up my 2DS this time. One of the metal wires inside the cable was torn. Might that stop it from booting? (I didn't try to hardmod before posting)
Yes, flex cables that have broken leads can cause boot problems. Inspect all your cables and motherboard with a magnifying glasses.

Reactions: luckyboy66666666

luckyboy66666666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, you're saying that as per https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-noob-friendly-nand-dumping-2ds-3ds-3ds-xl-n3ds-n3ds-xl.414498/ , someone soldered in a microSD card reader, and then took it out again afterwards!?
What do you mean, soldered in a microSD card reader? That never happened. The person who hardmodded it for me never used a PCB card (let alone microSD card reader). They figured it would only need to be hard modded once.

@luckyboy66666666, the reason your o2DS won't boot without the SD card inserted (ie, blue LED turns on and then off) is because CTRNAND Luma3DS is missing. That means the only way it can boot any payload would be from the SD card.
But it had Luma in the CTRNAND before the fall. I know because it could boot without the SD card beforehand. Also, during all of the Luma updates I've done, I have given it permission to write it to the CTRNAND.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it had Luma in the CTRNAND before the fall. I know because it could boot without the SD card beforehand. Also, during all of the Luma updates I've done, I have given it permission to write it to the CTRNAND.
:(

Unless the SD card slot reader is broken in such a way to (falsely) register an inserted card whether one is actually present but also at the same time not be able to read/write to it [always force boot9strap to default to the (ghost) SD card instead of the CTRNAND], that ctrnand partition or [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND drive definitely has data corruption. Its console unique files are probably a scrambled mess...

Unless you backed up and kept a copy of the o2DS SysNAND *.bin image AND the physical condition of that NAND chip (eMMC) still happens to be fully intact, you may need to resort to data recovery dumping the raw nand image by GodMode9 or hardmod, mount + decrypt that image using ninfs, extract the ctrnand_fat.bin from the image, and then run a data recovery scan with either (1) OSFMount + Recuva or (2) IsoBuster to try to get back those unique files.

• Fixing the 3DS firmware + custom firmware through the ntrboot method won't work if the broken SD card slot reader.
  • Hardmod could work in dumping the nand image or restoring a backed up SysNAND *.bin image if you have it.
  • There's still the problem with the o2DS not communicating with the SD card.

Option (1) - If the fault was found to be a broken accessory part after swapping motherboards between damaged 2DS and donor 2DS.

Option (2) - If the fault was found to be the motherboard, and you wish to repair it. Ex: The suspected SD card slot reader is indeed busted.

Option (3) - If the fault was found to be the motherboard, but it is NOT salvageable. Replace the motherboard.

Option (4) - Have someone else fix the o2DS.

Option (5) - Buy a replacement 3DS or 2DS system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: