Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Now my favorite era has to be the SNES era. My favorite games being Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu 3. These two games were amazing and felt "epic". (not sure it's the right word) Although there were many times when I said "if only they made it more complex" or "if only they made it longer". FFVII was not bad, but I hated the graphics. I loved SNES RPGs because the graphics were as good as 2d gets, and they were pretty. Now Chrono Trigger had that feeling that your playing a extremely high quality throughout. While SDIII did not have that it was complex and beautiful. Chrono Trigger had a wonderful story, unlike final fantasy were it was a little too boring at times, Chrono Trigger always had something in store. To this day I curse square-enix for not letting the team complete Chrono Trigger remake. Is there any games recently like this or possibly in the future, because I'm afraid game makers have lost their touch. :'(

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, this was commented before but I'll say it again. There are two kinds of RPGs, the Japanese ones and the ones that are not Japanese.

I think the SNES era was a good era, but now the games are a lot more advanced, both in gameplay as in design, if you think about it, Jap RPGs just keep the same idea, and maybe, players are started too dislike that style for not having evolved enough or they are just looking for new types of gameplay.
For example, look at Blue Dragon, there doesn't seem anything wrong with it, its the same idea that worked 10 years ago, now look at Mass Effect, that is a good example of a Western RPG, all evolved and with many many features that entertain another type of players, and not just the hardcore.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
You should have a look around on the GBA.
Golden Sun definitely fits this "epic" feel.

I agree with what you said though, games are losing this big feeling they used to have...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"(snes era) graphics were as good as 2d gets"
Some of the Saturn, PS1 and freeware PC games probably could up the ante there.

"games are losing this big feeling they used to have..."
In some ways I agree but playing stuff like the Elder Scrolls series and a bit further back Might and Magic or even any of the GTA series does not leave me especially wanting for larger areas. I suppose a good bit of the problem is with the go anywhere design of the games, playing stuff like Phantasy Star 4 while you were limited at first and some of the monsters did a good job later.
Savestates/quicksave and perhaps to a lesser extent "sleep mode" type saves also play a role in this.

Complexity: Playing a thinly veiled spreadsheet is not really for me but I yearn for a decent magic system in a commercial game once again: combining magic/making potions/weapons in what amounts to a shot in the dark: one of my favourite things to do.

As for games in the near future I already mentioned it but the freeware RPG people (both those who do it for fun and those looking to break into commercial games) are about the only hope you have really aside from emulation and rom hackers (some of the nes era games are getting so called total conversions which are fantastic and have a nice difficulty curve based to some extent on skill rather than grinding), some of the earlier PC games are getting openGL tacked on and serious mods made too.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG of all times.. it sure fells "epic".. it's the only game were I get undecided about which characters to use, cause all of them are good and unique. On FFVII and VIII for example, you can just exchange all your materia/skills from one character to another and the characters become equal, you don't really have to choose..

Well.. if you are looking for more "epic" 2d RPGs.. I shall recommend Tales of Phantasia, FFV and FFVI for the SNES, Golden Sun series for the GBA and Phantasy Star II and IV for the Sega Genesis.. the PSX has also some good 2D RPGs like Wild Arms and Breath of Fire 3 and 4.

As for games loosing their touch.. I don't know about RPGs cause I haven't played many new ones.. but in a general way, games like Half Life 2, GTA, Phantom Hourglass and Metroid Prime really got me immersed and gave me that "OMG WHAT'S HAPPENING NEXT I CAN'T STOP PLAYING" sensation.. when a game makes me fell that way.. we have an "epic"!
smile.gif

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
+1 to BoF, FF games on the Snes and Golden sun.

A lot of the RPG's lack a good story these days, the stories are bland and usually predictable, back then on snes and some psx titles, stories were excellent =D

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Actually yes, PSX was pretty good, I forgot about FFIX, it had that cool feeling to it. FFVII was just
wtf.gif
wtf is all the hype about? I also forgot about Golden Sun and even Boktai is actually one of the better games I played. Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced was also good. GBA was also a excellent era, even though I didn't get into the consoles too much. Now, I'm stuck playing Horsez :'(. No offense to Zelda fans, but I can't seem to enjoy the game.

anime_junkie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shining Force always felt "big" to me, especially the later bosses, because all of a sudden, their HP is so high you can't see it. I remember being like "OMGWTFOTLBBQ" when I first saw it.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They've already been recommended but I also recommend Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force (1+2) on the Sega Megadrive (Genesis).

They are large 2D RPG games, and I found them excellent fun, both back in the day and more recently when I've replayed them.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Magic Knight Rayearth for the Saturn has a pretty epic feel to it. I really liked Bahamut Lagoon, Monstonia and Treasure Hunter G on the SNES as well, they weren't massive games but they had an epic feel to them because of the style of storylines.

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Just finished playing Tarranigma. I have to say, that was the greatest game I've played in a looong time, although it still does not measure up to Chrono Trigger or Seiken Densetsu III, it was still good.
smile.gif

S

scubersteve

Loved every moment of Chrono Trigger.
Beat it approx. 40 times, still find it entertaining.
The MOTHER series is also really well done. A nice twist on North American culture.
Something that hasn't been mentioned:
Riviera
I think that I will play Riviera as many times as possible once I get my EZFlash 3in1...

anime_junkie said:
Shining Force always felt "big" to me, especially the later bosses, because all of a sudden, their HP is so high you can't see it. I remember being like "OMGWTFOTLBBQ" when I first saw it.

I can't believe I had the nerve to play through FFXII...
Those boss battles took HOURS to do cause you have to run around something that had millions of HP.

fatfrank

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
as mentioned, the Mother series, or Earthbound in america, are awesome games, also i'd recommend translated snes roms like romancing saga or bahamut lagoon, bahamut laggon is a very complex game
smile.gif
i hope you enjoy it

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
scubersteve said:
anime_junkie said:

I can't believe I had the nerve to play through FFXII...
Those boss battles took HOURS to do cause you have to run around something that had millions of HP.

Had the same thing with Super Robot Taisen Original Generation
Damn that game was good. The characters were so well done and even though the dialogue was so long, it always drew me in.
It had a nice bittersweet ending too.

I really want to get the PS2 remake but it'll probably never get an english localization.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: So basically, that's a cheat, huh?