Square Enix is considering remaking more titles in its HD-2D style

screenshot02.jpg

On a new Japanese-language Square Enix radio show hosted on their YouTube channel (and reported in English by VGC), the developers of the upcoming HD-2D title Triangle Strategy confirmed that Square Enix president Yosuka Matsuda wants to remake more Super Nintendo titles in this art style. HD-2D refers to the mixing of HD 3D backdrops with traditional pixel art, as popularized by Octopath Traveler.

The first of these remakes has already been announced on this month's Nintendo Direct, the remake of the previously-Japan exclusive Live a Live. Matsuda had ordered more remakes in that style, "so we lined up possible titles and thought about which could be done in HD-2D, and brought them to the president," according to producer Tomoyo Asano. "[The list included] titles released by Square and Enix for the Super Famicom - ones which were suitable for HD-2D, ones which were unsuitable for it, and ones which were impossible to play, like mahjong games. We lined up all of them and made a presentation that Live A Live was the most suitable. The second place was ActRaiser."

The Super Nintendo cult hit ActRaiser was remade last year, but not in a HD-2D style, so it's unclear if another remake whether another remake may be forthcoming. However, given the president's interest in re-releasing older titles in this art style, and the company's ongoing Final Fantasy pixel art remaster series, it seems like we might see more re-releases like this in the future.

:arrow: Source

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Octopath Travler is the most pleasant game for my eyes. I love the style.

Square Enix is very good in the music department too, so awesome experiences may come out of this decision

julianuf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It still hurts me that the FF pixel remakes weren't just in this engine. What a waste.
The cynic in me says that it's an opportunity to get people to pay two more times for these same games again.

Release a pixel remaster, then release a hd2d remaster. $$$$

In all seriousness, that probably plays a small role in it. They churned these pixel remasters pretty fast so they were probably not very expensive or time consuming to do, whereas the full hd2d facelift would probably take/cost quite a bit more.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That looks so beautiful, I would love if more SNES games were remastered in this way

I wish Earthbound could get this treatment ;A;

Reactions: BORTZ

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would love for them to remake Xenogears. I know the environments weren't 2D, but could you imagine new visuals for those locations, and the gears?
Whether a remake or simply a remaster with the content from disc 2 actually finished, that would be a really wonderful thing to see happen.

Reactions: mrtimotei

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I like the art style of Octopath, it looks pretty, but I'd rather have full 3D remakes like FF3 and FF4. Is that just me? I thought they did an excellent job especially with FF4. Especially considering the limited DS hardware. And I'd like to see what full remakes taking advantage of the processing power of modern consoles (and PC) could do.

I'm sure they are reusing Octopath's engine without changing anything about the graphics (it certainly looks that way by the announcement in the last Nintendo DIrect), which is just lazy, and kind of takes some of the charm away from that game. Octopath's art style was something new and interesting, combining pixelart with modern niceties like dynamic lighting. Now that everyone's seen it, it's not so interesting anymore.
I certainly don't care to see another half dozen games in the exact same style and exact same engine. It would lose all appeal. If they wanted to make a sequel to Octopath using the same engine, that would be one thing, as long as it stays unique to Octopath so that that franchise still has some charm to it.
That was like the main thing that made Octopath unique.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw