Zippo says Sonic heroes remake might happed

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The strange thing is, there's already a PC port of Sonic Heroes. Sega's never seemed to be shy about re-releasing old games before, so I don't know why they can't just give it a few tweaks, put it up on Steam, and rake in the cash. Heck, people will buy it and stick it in the backlog even if it's just barely functional.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The strange thing is, there's already a PC port of Sonic Heroes. Sega's never seemed to be shy about re-releasing old games before, so I don't know why they can't just give it a few tweaks, put it up on Steam, and rake in the cash. Heck, people will buy it and stick it in the backlog even if it's just barely functional.
Sonic Heroes on PC was released on Windows in 2004 and running on an engine called Renderware that was originally developed by the developers of the Burnout series 20 years ago. I highly doubt that an engine created that long ago will play nicely on 2024 hardware so chances are it's easier to just start from scratch with whatever latest engine available.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Heroes on PC was released on Windows in 2004 and running on an engine called Renderware that was originally developed by the developers of the Burnout series 20 years ago. I highly doubt that an engine created that long ago will play nicely on 2024 hardware so chances are it's easier to just start from scratch with whatever latest engine available.
After the Genesis era, Sega started to make counter-intuitive decisions on a regular basis. Sonic Colors: Ultimate ended up being a shoddy port. (Did they ever fix it?) Why they ported Sonic Adventure DX to the PC twice is beyond me, especially since the first version had widescreen.

I liked what @Chary said a page ago. A few tweaks to the level design would be good for the overall experience. The real question is if Sega would put in the resources to improve Sonic Heroes and avoid the pitfalls of some of their other PC ports.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I doubt that an engine created that long ago will play nicely on 2024 hardware
Y tho? Like I said, there are other games from 20 years ago that Sega is still selling. Crazy Taxi, for instance.

If Renderware was really that common, someone's probably even developed appropriate fixes by now.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Y tho? Like I said, there are other games from 20 years ago that Sega is still selling. Crazy Taxi, for instance.

If Renderware was really that common, someone's probably even developed appropriate fixes by now.
Was even Rayman Revolution powered by Renderware Engine?

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It doesn't. I own a copy back from when it was released. To be fair, I haven't tried it on Windows 10/11, but I had some issues just running it under Windows 7 years ago (it worked, but didn't play nice out of the box).

My biggest issue with the game is just that there's no proper snapping to rails, so if you're not careful, you'll find yourself flying off into the abyss. Other than that, I love the game, warts and all, so I'd love a new version.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That footage was impressive. I was expecting the project to be rougher around the edges, but that first level looks close to the official release. Sonic fans really pull together for these kinds of projects.
So does it mean that it’s gonna be in Unity instead of Unreal Engine 5?

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does it mean that it’s gonna be in Unity instead of Unreal Engine 5?
That video you posted was a fan project. If an official remake at Sega is in development, it would likely use the Hedgehog Engine. The Hedgehog Engine has been used for games like Sonic Generations and (most recently) Sonic Superstars.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might as well just emulate Sonic Heroes and play it. Look what they did to Sonic Colors "Ultimate Edition" 🤪

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tried it myself, but the Sonic Colors: Ultimate port has several issues, including animations and lighting being messed up. It takes several fan patches to get the game to a reasonable point. It's sad, because I hear Sonic Colors is a pretty decent Sonic game.

It seems like every 3rd or 4th Sega game has issues from a rushed port job. They have a much better track record than Square-Enix.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo