Gaming Zelda Wii U vs Super Mario Maker

Super Mario Maker vs Zelda Wii U : What do you think about them?

• Super Mario Maker is THE game of the Wii U. Forget about Zelda it will be launched on NX

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I still believe Zelda will be launched on Wii U and it will be more awesome than Super Mario Maker

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • I still believe Zelda will be launched on Wii U but I think Mario Maker will be more awesome.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • None of them, another game is the most awesome game on Wii U

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
...w-w-w-WHAAT?! I really, proper enjoyed Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but tha what?! Each to their own of course, but no way whatsoever..... only Yoshi's Island challenges SMW for the 16bit platformer crown if you ask me (Zelda LttP taking the overall crown! ;) )
SM3D World IS fantastic though!
It's a difficult one for me. I could not disagree with anybody who claimed that Super Mario World is the better platformer - it was groundbreaking, and every platformer since owes a huge amount to how much it moved the genre on. It took the strives made in Super Mario Bros. 3 (world map, non-linearity, etc.) and perfected the formula. I could go on about how much I love Super Mario World. And indeed, Yoshi's Island.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles was special in very different ways. It was Sonic perfected - it is the closest thing to a flawless Sonic game, in my view. The broad array of terrains, the level designs, the way it managed to implement various different abilities without hindering the core Sonic mechanic (newer Sonic games could learn from this), and the genius musical score that maximised the hardware.
The main strength of Sonic 3 & Knuckles though? The non-linear level design. This is what sets it apart from previous Sonic games and all 2D Mario games. You don't just run from left to right, or up to down - the levels encourage you to explore the entire stage from left to right to left. There was so much to explore and you didn't merely 'run right' like 2D platformers traditionally did. In that sense, even the mighty Super Mario World comes up short.

That's why I cannot choose between them.

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
^Really? I mean, my avatar should give you a hint regarding my gaming roots, but surely Super Mario World is THE game of the Snes, and a good shout for THE game of the 16-bit generation. I'd struggle to choose between Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Super Mario World as the best 2D platformer.
Maybe the best 16-bit platformer, but "game"? The SNES had so many awesome titles! To name a few, I definitely prefer Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest V, Super Metroid and A Link to the Past over any Mario Jump 'n Run. But well, that's just me. I'm a 3D platforming kid... ;) (SM64 is still my favorite Mario and only topped by Banjo-Kazooie. Looking forward to Yooka-Laylee!)

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I could honestly care less about Zelda I'm going with Mario Maker
Hate to be *that guy*, but http://grammarist.com/usage/could-care-less/

Anyway, I love Chrono Trigger and all those JRPGs. I think the reason why I would not name them game of the generation is that they essentially build upon each other. They're all great, but by defintion not groundbreaking. More like natural evolutions of the genre.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
That's basically why I would go back as far as 1990 to claim the best platformer, rather than newer Mario games that may be technically better.

Anyway, we better get back on topic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i heard obs makes gd lag alot