Gaming Zelda BOTW - Low-res textures?

• Thread starter KingpinSlim
  • Start date
  • Views 74,884
  • Replies 584
K

KingpinSlim

OP
Just hit the Village on mine. Can pretty much confirm the game runs like complete ass. 15FPS, maybe slower. It's a goddamn slideshow.

General running around is fine, towers are fine, 4+ enemies on screen is automatic lag, and weather effects are automatic lag. Honestly it's a bit unacceptable and I'm probably cancelling my preorder.
Well... First off, you should never ever pre-order anything. That is never a good idea.
But still, there may yet be a patch to adress these issues.
No one can even say wether this is the actual version intended for release.
Some, me included, believe that there will be a day-one patch to adress these issues.
We are after all playing a game BEFORE its release.
I stopped playing after i hit Kakariko on the first day.
Waiting ever since. I don't want to play it in this condition.

Clyzm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You might not want to pre-order anything, but some games are in limited supply and the idea of walking into a place with a copy ready for me is a good thing. Besides, there's no risk with a pre-order since I can just choose to not pick it up after early reviews are out. Maybe what you mean to say is "it's a bad idea to pre-order something with a review embargo dated past release".

But that's neither here nor there. The game runs horribly in its current state. Whether or not there's a day 1 patch beyond what we already have with the ~2gb update remains to be seen. Hopefully Nintendo pulls out some serious optimizations extremely close to launch or else this is a bust on the Wii U.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i still dont get it. i have no severe framerate issues whatsover. I did experience a drop in the center of town, but only ever when moving the camera quickly, and it never stays for very long. i have had 6-7 enemies at a time with no lag, and only minor lag in a thunderstorm, and some very minor hitches when getting a critical hit.

Reactions: iVcU and VinsCool

Clyzm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i still dont get it. i have no severe framerate issues whatsover. I did experience a drop in the center of town, but only ever when moving the camera quickly, and it never stays for very long. i have had 6-7 enemies at a time with no lag, and only minor lag in a thunderstorm, and some very minor hitches when getting a critical hit.

That's the part that's very strange to me. I'm starting to wonder whether some people are not noticing lag, or more likely there's something bogging down system performance. Maybe later revision Wii Us (mine is a launch one) have slightly different hardware? Extremely small unannounced hardware changes are not uncommon as needs change and factories are retooled.

K

KingpinSlim

OP
That's the part that's very strange to me. I'm starting to wonder whether some people are not noticing lag, or more likely there's something bogging down system performance. Maybe later revision Wii Us (mine is a launch one) have slightly different hardware? Extremely small unannounced hardware changes are not uncommon as needs change and factories are retooled.
The answer is very simple and has nothing at all to do with hard drives or revisions of hardware.
Some people perceive the speed of motion different from others.
Some notice lag even at highest framerates, some people see something as moving smoothly even at low framerates.
Everyone perceives motion at different speeds.
I already said so earlier, but people were to busy listing useless facts about their console to even notice.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even if the frame rate was as bad as you say, its still easily playable, and doesnt affect the quality of the game. i mean come on, dark souls got 9s and 10s, and have you played that game? the framerate is pretty ass most of the time, but is still one of the best games ever.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Bunch of spoiled 15 year old brats if you ask me.
When I was young we we were completely satisfied getting a few frames per second in red alert, carmageddon or unreal and noone ever complained. Now there's a small part in the game that has 20fps and people are on the brink of insanity...

Reactions: VinsCool

chikoo_69

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For my experience transfering the game to internal memory and set to 1080i helped a lot with the framedrops in towns and forests

Last edited by chikoo_69,
K

KingpinSlim

OP
For my experience transfering the game to internal memory and set to 1080i helped a lot with the framedrops in towns and forests
Do you know what interlaced means?
Probably not, or you would never activate that mode.
Any interlaced resolution is absolute garbage.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bunch of spoiled 15 year old brats if you ask me.
When I was young we we were completely satisfied getting a few frames per second in red alert, carmageddon or unreal and noone ever complained. Now there's a small part in the game that has 20fps and people are on the brink of insanity...
Absolutely!
How DARE they find fault with something when i played Pong during my childhood?
Harumph, harumph back THEN we had no fancy-shmancy Gamepad-tablety thingamaroos!
All we had were paddles and we LOVED it!
Those young whippersnappers don't even know what they got with their digital gizmos, high definition-thingies and Google eye-telephones.
Us old timers sure know what other people should think and experience!

Clyzm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The answer is very simple and has nothing at all to do with hard drives or revisions of hardware.
Some people perceive the speed of motion different from others.
Some notice lag even at highest framerates, some people see something as moving smoothly even at low framerates.
Everyone perceives motion at different speeds.
I already said so earlier, but people were to busy listing useless facts about their console to even notice.

Yeah I'm calling shenanigans. Not seeing the difference between 15fps and something better than that is bordering on legally blind territory. If you were talking about super high frame rates (for example I can't see much of a difference if at all past 90fps) I would agree with you, but otherwise I invite you to get anyone you know to try this out and tell me they can't see the difference between 15 and 30.

https://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates&count=3&background=none&pps=1920

It's not a matter of eyesight at all. It's a matter of tolerance or ignorance. Some people don't know what to look for, while some consider lower frame rates to be "good enough".

Also speaking of old games... the ones that ran at 60fps a lot of the time? and on perfect response time CRT monitors? Yeah those were great.

Last edited by Clyzm,
K

KingpinSlim

OP
Yeah I'm calling shenanigans. Not seeing the difference between 15fps and something better than that is bordering on legally blind territory. If you were talking about super high frame rates (for example I can't see much of a difference if at all past 90fps) I would agree with you, but otherwise I invite you to get anyone you know to try this out and tell me they can't see the difference between 15 and 30.

https://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates&count=3&background=none&pps=1920

It's not a matter of eyesight at all. It's a matter of tolerance or ignorance. Some people don't know what to look for, while some consider lower frame rates to be "good enough".

Also speaking of old games... the ones that ran at 60fps a lot of the time? and on perfect response time CRT monitors? Yeah those were great.
Believe it or not, there ARE people who perceive motion starting at 20fps, but you do have a valid point. Also? I am very tired. I go to sleep soon.

K

KingpinSlim

OP
someone on reddit say is better to change resolution to 1080i
They are completely wrong.
Look on google or youtube what interlaced resolutions are.
It's garbage of a bygone technology.
It is better to set it at 720p if your screen/TV can upscale footage well.
That takes load off the hardware, but do not use interlaced resolutions!

Here, watch this:

Last edited by ,

DavionBlackwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
No one ever denied there aren't any framerate issues with this game at all, that would be very stupid, it is a fact that you can smell from far away and cannot deny, that the game has obvious framerate issues. But this thread and some of the people here are making it look like the framerate issues is a broken mess at 1fps and it is not. I can see it there. I can see "how bad" it is.. but for me it doesn't look as gamebreaking as some of you put it. Like, seriously. I understand you are entitled to Nintendo giving you stable 30fps, but have you stopped to think how huge this game is? It's not just an excuse. This game is huge, and there's so many things going at the screen at once. It takes a toll to the Wii U and even to a less extent, the Switch. It is impossible to avoid the framerate issues. Giving how fucking low the Wii U is in power, it is IMPRESSIVE that Nintendo somehow managed to make it even run this way. I would bet my neck off Nintendo has done EVERYTHING possible with the hardware. They are just not like the others. Stop looking at everything so negative.. some of us have to deal with the Wii U version okay? And we do not have to feel like we're buying a piece of shit just because you want your 60fps of Witcher 3 graphics in your Zelda..

aljpn91

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
let's all remember the good ol days when no one bat an eye at shit like this, but suddently it's all that matters

great game btw 9/10

Last edited by aljpn91,

Spearel18

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Well... First off, you should never ever pre-order anything. That is never a good idea.
But still, there may yet be a patch to adress these issues.
No one can even say wether this is the actual version intended for release.
Some, me included, believe that there will be a day-one patch to adress these issues.
We are after all playing a game BEFORE its release.
I stopped playing after i hit Kakariko on the first day.
Waiting ever since. I don't want to play it in this condition.
Did you try the new (v33) game update that's already on NUS?

chikoo_69

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you know what interlaced means?
Probably not, or you would never activate that mode.
Any interlaced resolution is absolute garbage.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Absolutely!
How DARE they find fault with something when i played Pong during my childhood?
Harumph, harumph back THEN we had no fancy-shmancy Gamepad-tablety thingamaroos!
All we had were paddles and we LOVED it!
Those young whippersnappers don't even know what they got with their digital gizmos, high definition-thingies and Google eye-telephones.
Us old timers sure know what other people should think and experience!
I perfectly know what it is, i was wondering that it could a be a bug. The game upscaler could be bugged or something. Anyway, pretty sure the resolution did nothing but tranfering to internal memory did helped a bit.

CypherFC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is anybody sure that installing the game on internal memory improves charging times and some textures ?
I installed it on my USB Flash Drive and it would take around 1 hour to move the shit from there after moving the internal memory content...
Is it really worth it ? Did somebody made actual performance tests ?

DavionBlackwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Did you try the new (v33) game update that's already on NUS?

It'd be very relieving if all of these problems we're reporting were to get fixed by official Nintendo updates tomorrow on legit copies.

Regardless I don't doubt the updates would be miracling, like. The game is huge, no matter what the Wii U is always gonna struggle with it, so you are still gonna find framerate drops somewhere, but if Nintendo did something to have it appear as less as possible, it would be wonderful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto