Gaming Zelda BOTW - Low-res textures?

• Thread starter KingpinSlim
  • Start date
  • Views 74,879
  • Replies 584
K

KingpinSlim

OP
Really? The grass draw distance doesn't seem to drop for me, regardless of location.
Kakariko has a different kind of foliage. Not nearly as lush as that.
Have you noticed these tiny little green things sticking out of the ground?
Go to the pumpkin/carrot patch and look at the ground.
Now look at how small they are and how far away from you they stop.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kakariko has a different kind of foliage. Not nearly as lush as that.
Have you noticed these tiny little green things sticking out of the ground?
Go to the pumpkin/carrot patch and look at the ground.
Now look at how small they are and how far away from you they stop.
I'll be sure to do so once I get this tower activated. Been fighting my way toward it for 45 minutes, lol.

K

KingpinSlim

OP
I'll be sure to do so once I get this tower activated. Been fighting my way toward it for 45 minutes, lol.
Doesn't really matter anyway.
Either it gets patched, or it doesn't.
Eventually there will be the option to play it on CEMU with vastly superior... everything and then no one will even remember what the game actually looked like on the system.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't really matter anyway.
Either it gets patched, or it doesn't.
Eventually there will be the option to play it on CEMU with vastly superior... everything and then no one will even remember what the game actually looked like on the system.
I will agree completely on that count. Once CEMU has 100% support for it and at least 1080p, I'll more than likely switch to the emulator.

Reactions: KingpinSlim

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
I am blown away by the graphics, and the size of the map, and the weather.. everything, on the WiiU version. I kept pausing to take photos because every 5 minutes, I'm looking at something beautiful. Here are 6 photos I took so far (WiiU, 1080p output, 4k TV... crappy Galaxy S4 camera lol - but it still looks good!)...

Last edited by RowanDDR,
Reactions: XRaTiX and VinsCool

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There really needs to be a screenshot homebrew...
IMG_20170301_173039.jpg

Reactions: VinsCool

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I am blown away by the graphics, and the size of the map, and the weather.. everything, on the WiiU version. I kept pausing to take photos because every 5 minutes, I'm looking at something beautiful. Here are 6 photos I took so far (WiiU, 1080p output, 4k TV... crappy Galaxy S4 camera lol - but it still looks good!)...
Do you really think it looks that good? I don't say your blurry photos do it any justice but I find the textures way too pixilated and the frame drops make it look like it's running at 20-30fps. It's definitely playable and a good game but I expected a more polished experience from Nintendo. Hopefully a patch will come in the future to fix the issues.

I game on the PS4 and PC so I'm more accustomed to a higher quality experience. I think using this game to bridge the gap between the WiiU and Switch a bad idea. I know they did it with Twilight Princess but Gamecube and Wii have a smaller gap in power afaik. It would be even more upsetting to see the Switch version just as bad as the WiiU.

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you really think it looks that good? I don't say your blurry photos do it any justice but I find the textures way too pixilated and the frame drops make it look like it's running at 20-30fps. It's definitely playable and a good game but I expected a more polished experience from Nintendo. Hopefully a patch will come in the future to fix the issues.

I game on the PS4 and PC so I'm more accustomed to a higher quality experience. I think using this game to bridge the gap between the WiiU and Switch a bad idea. I know they did it with Twilight Princess but Gamecube and Wii have a smaller gap in power afaik. It would be even more upsetting to see the Switch version just as bad as the WiiU.

I'm usually very critical if a game has a low framerate or blurry textures.. but this game.. for some reason it doesnt seem important. I think the level of detail (i.e. the amount of objects that make up each scene), draw distance, and spectacular weather/light effects help make everything look great. The art style isn't hyper realistic so its not important for the graphics to be "realistic". That said, I do think everything looks realistic (for a game) and natural.. like a real landscape. Also, this is not a PS4. And even PS4 has its limits.. my brother has one and showed me a launch title (some skating game) and I was shocked by how the framerate kept changing between 60fps and 30fps. At least with BOTW the framerate is more consistant, I find.

p.s. my photos are not that blurry, the game textures arent expecially blurry.. maybe its your TV? Does gbatemp look blurry lol. Disable any SOA your TV has and enable 1:1 pixel mode ("full").

Last edited by RowanDDR,
Reactions: VinsCool
K

KingpinSlim

OP
I'm usually very critical if a game has a low framerate or blurry textures.. but this game.. for some reason it doesnt seem important. I think the level of detail (i.e. the amount of objects that make up each scene), draw distance, and spectacular weather/light effects help make everything look great. The art style isn't hyper realistic so its not important for the graphics to be "realistic". That said, I do think everything looks realistic (for a game) and natural.. like a real landscape. Also, this is not a PS4. And even PS4 has its limits.. my brother has one and showed me a launch title (some skating game) and I was shocked by how the framerate kept changing between 60fps and 30fps. At least with BOTW the framerate is more consistant, I find.

p.s. my photos are not that blurry, the game textures arent expecially blurry.. maybe its your TV? Does gbatemp look blurry lol. Disable any SOA your TV has and enable 1:1 pixel mode ("full").
I would highly advise against playing BOTW in that mode.
Blurriness really helps with that because every texture looks so sharp and jagged that you think you could cut yourself on them.
I believe BOTW needs blurriness to look good.
As blurry as possible, to be honest.

zelda3.jpg

10/10, Game of the Year.
Wow, how did Nintendo do it?
Best Game of All Time Number 1 spot.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I would highly advise against playing BOTW in that mode.
Blurriness really helps with that because every texture looks so sharp and jagged that you think you could cut yourself on them.
I believe BOTW needs blurriness to look good.
As blurry as possible, to be honest.

zelda3.jpg

10/10, Game of the Year.
Wow, how did Nintendo do it?
Best Game of All Time Number 1 spot.
You know, the same image but with the Okami drawing paper effect, would look pretty nice.

K

KingpinSlim

OP
You know, the same image but with the Okami drawing paper effect, would look pretty nice.
Weird thing is... it DOES look kinda nice, doesn't?
I mean, sure, i overdid it for comedic effect, but... there is something to that really soft look, i suppose.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Weird thing is... it DOES look kinda nice, doesn't?
I mean, sure, i overdid it for comedic effect, but... there is something to that really soft look, i suppose.
It actually feels like I am looking to a stained glass.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

The lighting looks okay on the switch but the WiiU seems too washed out. I've seen mods on 6 year old game running on a potato have better lighting though... It just seems ridiculous having it run at 900p 30fps on the WiiU with frame drops being its a first party game. I haven't played the game myself but I will be disappointed if the game felt rushed. Maybe this what the WiiU can handle and this game was primarily developed for the switch?

Only a few more hours till reviews come in I guess that's when we find out.

p.s. your galaxy s4 photos look blurry on my galaxy s7, hard to see botw texture quality

K

KingpinSlim

OP
The lighting looks okay on the switch but the WiiU seems too washed out. I've seen mods on 6 year old game running on a potato have better lighting though... It just seems ridiculous having it run at 900p 30fps on the WiiU with frame drops being its a first party game. I haven't played the game myself but I will be disappointed if the game felt rushed. Maybe this what the WiiU can handle and this game was primarily developed for the switch?

Only a few more hours till reviews come in I guess that's when we find out.

p.s. your galaxy s4 photos look blurry on my galaxy s7, hard to see botw texture quality
The Wii U version runs at 720p upscaled to 1080p.
The Switch version runs at 900p in docked mode, but there are problems with that.
You can reduce hardware-load if you set it to 720p and let your TV do the upscaling.
TVs nowadays usually do a better job of it anyways.
Lets just wait and see if they have a patch ready for release.
I would be surprised if they didn't.
At the moment the consensus is that the game is deeply flawed, but still fun.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well until Nintendo release the patch for BOTW with extra clockspeeds when in Docked mode, 900p shouldn't be an issue anymore...

Clyzm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just hit the Village on mine. Can pretty much confirm the game runs like complete ass. 15FPS, maybe slower. It's a goddamn slideshow.

General running around is fine, towers are fine, 4+ enemies on screen is automatic lag, and weather effects are automatic lag. Honestly it's a bit unacceptable and I'm probably cancelling my preorder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto