Gaming Zelda BOTW - Low-res textures?

• Thread starter KingpinSlim
  • Start date
  • Views 74,972
  • Replies 584
K

KingpinSlim

OP
You're just being overly pessimistic. Nintendo figured out at the time that it would be a waste to keep it as a WiiU exclusive and ported to the NS.
And that is why we have a poorly programmed game with bad graphics and performance issues and a version that has all promised tablet-features missing.
Nintendo wanted this game to be a Jack of All Trades and now it is Master of none.
Great gameplay does not excuse poor performance.
Sure, hardcore zelda-fans will play it anyway, they can't help it. It is a compulsion for them, but others see it for what it is.
A really shoddy game.

aljpn91

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
while we're at it, mario odyssey should have been a wii u exclusive too, this whole switch thing reeks and it's going to crash and burn like the wii u did

Last edited by aljpn91,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, if I'm playing a shitty game, well, I have to admit, it's a really good looking turd, because I'm having a really good time right now.

One of the best looking WiiU game by far. if not the best.

K

KingpinSlim

OP
while we're at it, mario odyssey should have been a wii u exclusive too, this whole switch thing reeks and it's going to crash and burn like the wii u did

The Switch will be very successful once it actually has games and the price has been lowered.
Nintendo does what they have always done better than anyone else. Handhelds.
Nintendo stopped making actual proper Videogames consoles and no one realizes it, because you can now set the handheld on a desk and remove the gamepad-elements.
It still isn't a home-console tho. It is the successor to the 3DS, the Wii U simply doesn't get any successor for the time-being.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
@KingpinSlim We all know you are joking. The game is amazing.
I actually believe KingSlim is a huge graphic whore and expected it to look like The Witcher 3 at Ultra settings.
I may be wrong on it, but that's the only possible conclusion I've reached after reading this thread, reading feedbaks from my friends who played it, and my own experience.
This game is amazing. WiiU version or Switch version, it's the same turd. A real, good, looking turd.

I have no doubt the Switch version will look even better. It's already really impressive how a WiiU could run this game.
Of course, there are performaces issues. Something all games had. Update patches will most liklely come to fix some of what we are experiencing. Other than that. It's very playable, and highly enjoyable.

Cell247

Prickly Goomba
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just assumed he's trolling. Finally once people posted captures from the game you can see its not this horrible mess he makes it out to be.

Reactions: VinsCool
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
And that is why we have a poorly programmed game with bad graphics and performance issues and a version that has all promised tablet-features missing.
Nintendo wanted this game to be a Jack of All Trades and now it is Master of none.
Great gameplay does not excuse poor performance.
Sure, hardcore zelda-fans will play it anyway, they can't help it. It is a compulsion for them, but others see it for what it is.
A really shoddy game.

Nintendo honestly did the best they could to make Zelda:BotW shine on the WiiU and so, if you're not happy with the end result, get it on the Switch or try on Cemu (if that's even possible at the moment).

Reactions: VinsCool

aljpn91

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
The Switch will be very successful once it actually has games and the price has been lowered.
Nintendo does what they have always done better than anyone else. Handhelds.
Nintendo stopped making actual proper Videogames consoles and no one realizes it, because you can now set the handheld on a desk and remove the gamepad-elements.
It still isn't a home-console tho. It is the successor to the 3DS, the Wii U simply doesn't get any successor for the time-being.

it's like you said, nintendo is pulling a jack of all trades with the switch, trying to appeal to both console and handheld gamers, when in reality it won't appeal to no one, because it's neither a good home console or a proper handheld system (because of it's huge size)
maybe with the release of a switch mini and with their focus completely on the handheld maket, we'll see things changing for them

Last edited by aljpn91,
K

KingpinSlim

OP
@VinsCool
@Saiyan Lusitano
I expected it to look like all the videos and images they published before release. Which it doesn't.
What they showcased is neither the Wii U, nor the Switch version.
The materials they provided was anti-aliased, had far superior draw distances for objects, foliages and high-res textures.
This game we are playing looks nothing like the game we are promised and i sense that this was done to knowingly mislead.
The gameplay is great and it is fun, but what we have is not what they promised to deliver at all.
If you buy a used console off of someone based on a picture and then discover that the screen is now suddenly scratched, would you not be displeased that someone mislead you?
Would you honestly just go on and think to yourself "Well, it works and for good gameplay on this device i don't really NEED a flawless screen."

That line of argument is illogical.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I actually believe KingSlim is a huge graphic whore and expected it to look like The Witcher 3 at Ultra settings.
I may be wrong on it, but that's the only possible conclusion I've reached after reading this thread, reading feedbaks from my friends who played it, and my own experience.
This game is amazing. WiiU version or Switch version, it's the same turd. A real, good, looking turd.

I have no doubt the Switch version will look even better. It's already really impressive how a WiiU could run this game.
Of course, there are performaces issues. Something all games had. Update patches will most liklely come to fix some of what we are experiencing. Other than that. It's very playable, and highly enjoyable.
So if someone doesn't agree with you they're a graphics whore ? The game does look good but the framerate is horrible. Just uploading some footage of a jungle near Hylia lake where i get constant framerate drops running the game like 10 fps.

Reactions: Chary

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
@VinsCool
@Saiyan Lusitano
I expected it to look like all the videos and images they published before release. Which it doesn't.
What they showcased is neither the Wii U, nor the Switch version.
The materials they provided was anti-aliased, had far superior draw distances for objects, foliages and high-res textures.
This game we are playing looks nothing like the game we are promised and i sense that this was done to knowingly mislead.
The gameplay is great and it is fun, but what we have is not what they promised to deliver at all.
If you buy a used console off of someone based on a picture and then discover that the screen is now suddenly scratched, would you not be displeased that someone mislead you?
Would you honestly just go on and think to yourself "Well, it works and for good gameplay on this device i don't really NEED a flawless screen."

That line of argument is illogical.
Did you try pushing that Turbo button to bump up mhz?

daranus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So if someone doesn't agree with you they're a graphics whore ? The game does look good but the framerate is horrible. Just uploading some footage of a jungle near Hylia lake where i get constant framerate drops running the game like 10 fps.
please do upload, I think people who didnt see it for themselves have doubts or are rather not thinking its possible that its that bad.

For the graphics quality, what is definitely missing is some AA and some higher resolution and that is noticeable. Believe me, when this game runs on cemu in a few years or maybe even in a few weeks with 5fps, people can at least do upscaled screenshots + maybe some AA and the game will look SO MUCH BETTER (and I mean not like yeah ok looks a bit better but FUCK ME THIS LOOKS SO GORGEOUS I AM GONNA PEE ME PANTS RIGHT NOW AND FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT). The ingame art is stellar, sadly at least the Wii U cannot make proper use of it.

Image quality might not be possible in a better way on the wii u, but it is no excuse for the performance in some areas.

K

KingpinSlim

OP
botw is a brand new game not an upgraded 15 year old game
Wind Waker HD is not emulated, it is ported.
Someone took the code, changed it and compiled it for the Wii U.
During that time someone worked hard to take this gameworld and make it look polished.
Someone integrated Anti-Aliasing and made sure it ran with a consistent framerate.

Now YOU tell me why this process of Quality Control on Wind Waker HD was far to primitive for something so cutting edge as the new Zelda?
I would be curious to find out why that suddenly went out of fashion with you.

Last edited by ,

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Where did I say it was perfect?

Graphically, it's beautiful, despite what OP claims. I did mention the frame drops. I am aware they exist. Do they make it unplayable? Not in the slightliest. Do they ruin the game? no.

Oh, absolutely.
If you do that it looks almost as polished as Wind Waker HD ; )
I like how you compare these 2 games. Are you aware BOTW is about 10x bigger, 10 times more detailed, 10 times everything? Do you really expect such Wind Waker HD stable 30 FPS with all the gigantic content Nintendo stuffed in the beautiful turd called Breath of the Wild? If you were expecting PC graphics, I am very sad for you. I just want you to know that Wind Waker HD looks really flat compared to the newest Zelda game. Of course you can get incredible performaces out of a flat game.

K

KingpinSlim

OP
@VinsCool 10 Times more detailed? Have you LOOKED at those textures?
Sure, the world is big, but if it looks a single-color bitmap just a few meters in front of you than you made a game unsuited for the platform you developed it on.
Nintendo tried to emulate the style of other popular RPGs at the moment, but didn't think about wether they could actually make it look good.
Someone made the decision that this game looks good enough like without anti-aliasing, not being able to see anything but single-colored bitmaps in the distance and that 15 - 20fps was more than enough for Kakariko village.
No, i don't think this is acceptable.
If this game wasn't a Zelda-title no one would get their panties up in a twist about mentioning obvious flaws.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password