5. 107 voter(s)
  1. 1stClassZackFair

1stClassZackFair GBAtemp Regular

United States
    [​IMG]

2. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

United States
    HELL NO that's like Sony partnering with Apple permanently , and just another plus the content on twitch wouldn't even feel right mixed in with youtube. Youtube this is not a Quantity over quality when it comes to something like this.

3. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

United States

I was exaggerating a tad there so don't your britches in a tangle. :P

Tin foil hat conspiracies aside, even without the government involved, allowing a large corporation of any kind take control of an entire market is a bad idea. It's why the US has laws against monopolies. (unless the company has really deep pockets and can bribe lawmakers, ala Time Warner, and the other large ISPs who have a monopoly in small local markets practically speaking)

Any sane person would want there to be competition and alternatives if Google ever decides to go to complete sh*** in the future. ;)

4. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".
    Former Staff

Croatia
    Are they going to enforce the same copyright policies on Twitch as they do on Youtube?

Deleted-236924 and BortzANATOR like this.
  5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    Yeah, this is pretty much what I'm worried about. Youtube has been going nuts with the copyright flagging and if the same thing would happen on Twitch it would all but kill it. On the other hand, streaming directly on Youtube and automatically uploading the video afterwards and things might be nice. Didn't Youtube already have streaming functionality though?

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    They do but it seems Twitch got pretty big and something runs the risk of undermining some small part of you then "buy it" is a philosophy that works.

As for the matter at hand... I have serious issues with the lack of scripting, thought/preparation and editing that most already do, doing things live is even worse.

However if Google do buy it then it is sure to generate some very nice whine from a lot of people, I am OK with that.

7. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    It's going to be interesting to see how Twitch would develop from this. If, worst case scenario, it just isn't worth it anymore for the viewers and especially the streamers, there are plenty of alternatives. Azubu being the biggest one, just switch service and it's done.

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    In some ways sure, however Twitch seems have got itself embedded within all sorts of programs, capture devices, and now even consoles.

Or if you prefer paypal is awful on so many levels and has many competitors that are technically superior, however it is still probably the dominant payment platform.

9. lismati

lismati Speedrunner in practice

Poland
    Do you want new streaming platforms?

Because that's how you get new streaming platforms.

10. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish
    Former Staff

Japan
    Really hope this won't lead to me being unable to comment on yet another Google owned service due to a missing G+ profile.

From what I've gathered they merely moved people from the G+ team to various other teams since they figured that the integration of G+ in most of their services made sense. They never said anything about getting rid of Google+.

gamefan5 likes this.
  11. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

United Kingdom
    So now they're gonna make Twitch comments bound to google + now as well?
    RIP Twitch.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  12. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing
    Supervisor

United States
    They really cant, can they? I mean if they do, why the hell buy Twitch? Unless thats the point... shut it down. Weird. Well I only ever watch on channel on twitch as it is anyways, and even then, not that often because my connection is so bad. It makes the videos rather... Twitchy.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  13. Foxi4

Foxi4 Local Infamous Villain
    Global Moderator

Poland
    The way I understood it back when I first read about it, they were going to gradually lower their efforts as far as Google+ was concerned until it's fully retired or minimized to the level of irrelevance, I'll have to refresh my memory.

14. Elemi

Elemi Also known as Ktea

United Kingdom
    Nothing good ever lasts when money is involved, it was nice knowing you twitch because who turns down $1b? Not many these days.

Well, hopefully vinesauce stays active throughout.

15. Chaosruler

Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    The Google way

16. XrosBlader821
    This message by XrosBlader821 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 19, 2014, Reason: thanks for your contribution.
    May 19, 2014
  17. p3rand0r

p3rand0r Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Albania
    But is legal to play copyrighted games by twitch , if youtube buys that thing .....all the game producers will want o piece of google $ !

18. Chaosruler

Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    I don't think Google would be stupid enough to spill cash just because other companies knows they have some, they will find a way to counter them

19. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Germany
    Seriously though, game producers get more than enough Cash by YouTube videos that basically hype the game for free. Let's Plays are a good example.
    The only people who have something against YouTube videos are game Devs of games getting bad ratings on YouTube videos.
    The only problem on this merge would be how Google handles Ad's on Twitch, where they work differently, and the content ID claim shenanigans.

20. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Canada
    The only good thing i could see ? YouTube possibly getting 60FPS videos which would greatly benefit everyone that uploads videogame content

Deleted-236924 likes this.
  21. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    Only con I see at this point is after this deal there would be absolutely zero competition with internet video and streaming services. They will most likely keep twitch the same as it's at least for while.

As for G+ I like it as it has much more options - especially on privacy settings - compared to other social media services and integrating it to other services kinda makes sense as social medias thing is to share your stuff with friends. Only problem with that is that especially with youtube G+ gets cluttered with youtube activity... Other thing of course is that Google account gets even more and more connected with everything so getting password stolen is even worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - YouTube, billion, Twitch