Yooka-Laylee is getting a physical version for Switch

Update: The 10% discount code has been reactivated until Sunday evening, the code is SAVESOMECOINS if anyone is still on the fence about ordering.

81309af09b96730f7e487daf0fd3c9f8_original.PNG

Playtonic have recently confirmed that Yooka-Laylee will be getting a physical version for Switch, courtesy of Limited Run Games. The price will be $49.99.

There will also be a collector's edition for $74.99 containing extra goodies such as a N64-style box and cartridge (non-functional), a poster and the official soundtrack. For Kickstarter backers who backed the "64-bit" tier containing a N64 cart USB flash drive, a discounted version of the collector's edition for only $34.99 will be available with a special cartridge color.

78bcda40b42d122c7b1454df786b8ca7_original.jpg

Pre-orders start on Friday, September 7 at 10AM ET at LimitedRunGames.com, and those interested will have to pre-order, as these are manufactured to demand.
All previous Kickstarter backers will receive a code for a 10% discount in time for Friday.

:arrow: Source (Kickstarter)
:arrow: Pre-order

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

lampdemon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
+1 to A Hat in Time. Best platformer in recent years.

The steam version is going to get new dlc soon which will be free on the 1st day.

I tried (by a not so legal way) Yooka-Layle but the keyboard+mouse controls are trash, and I never touched the game again.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

The steam version is going to get new dlc soon which will be free on the 1st day.

I tried (by a not so legal way) Yooka-Layle but the keyboard+mouse controls are trash, and I never touched the game again.
Platformers are rarely good with a mouse and keyboard. The genre originated on consoles and was always meant for analog control.
Don't you have any controllers that can be used on PC? Basically any console controller will work.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

your not supposed to play 3d platformers with keyboard and mouse too, get a gamepad lol.

lampdemon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Platformers are rarely good with a mouse and keyboard. The genre originated on consoles and was always meant for analog control.
Don't you have any controllers that can be used on PC? Basically any console controller will work.
A Hat in Time works great with keyboard+mouse, and you can rebind the keys, which you can't do on Yooka Laylee.
Also yes, I have a usb 360 controller collecting dust, but unless its a game that I really want to play I probably won't use it.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i quite liked yooka laylee, was a big banjo fan, didn't like tooie that much, only fault I would have is its kinda more like tooie than kazooie, I would personally prefer lots of smaller levels than a few huge levels, but definitely worth a play, as others have said, hat in time is also a good kazooie/Mario sunshine style game, I think some people just expect these newer games to come with the same nostalgia the originals have which is why they feel let down

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've never been that big of a fan of Yooka-Laylee, but not gonna lie, the collector's edition is looking super great. I'd get it, even if i don't like the game that much.

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The price of the physical version seems like a big turn off. I don't feel like I got shafted at $20 (I was a Kickstarter backer) but the game doesn't seem worth $50, even for a physical copy.

I admittedly lost interest in it pretty quickly, though I intend to try to finish it one day. It definitely nails the aesthetic and the charm and humor are there like the BK series, but instead of the concise small worlds of BK they chose to imitate BT which I always felt had worlds too large for their own good. It's easy to get turned around, and the large worlds come at the expense of having more varied, smaller worlds.

Additionally, control wise, the whole thing feels super floaty, like your character has no weight. That's something even Mario 64 nailed by giving your character a very tight feel with regards to how momentum worked. It wouldn't really be that big of a deal, but I've already encountered some platforming sections that require more precision than the controls really allow for. It's one thing if there's a natural challenge to a section, requiring good timing and learning the pattern, but another when you are fighting the controls and have to repeat a long climb back up too many times.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The price of the physical version seems like a big turn off. I don't feel like I got shafted at $20 (I was a Kickstarter backer) but the game doesn't seem worth $50, even for a physical copy.

I admittedly lost interest in it pretty quickly, though I intend to try to finish it one day. It definitely nails the aesthetic and the charm and humor are there like the BK series, but instead of the concise small worlds of BK they chose to imitate BT which I always felt had worlds too large for their own good. It's easy to get turned around, and the large worlds come at the expense of having more varied, smaller worlds.

Additionally, control wise, the whole thing feels super floaty, like your character has no weight. That's something even Mario 64 nailed by giving your character a very tight feel with regards to how momentum worked. It wouldn't really be that big of a deal, but I've already encountered some platforming sections that require more precision than the controls really allow for. It's one thing if there's a natural challenge to a section, requiring good timing and learning the pattern, but another when you are fighting the controls and have to repeat a long climb back up too many times.
It is a limited production run, so production costs are going to be a bit higher as a result, and then there's the Switch tax. I don't think $50 is unreasonable all things considered.

I lost interest as well and I hope to get back into it (played the first stage, got enough pagies to unlock the second and never touched it since)
I also thought Tooie's worlds were a bit too large. The first stage is fine, since it's divided into sections so it's not so overwhelming. Yooka-Laylee tried to avoid it feeling overwhelming by making the stages small at first but that leads to the issue of why bother expanding the stages and going back there if you have the option of just moving on to the next one? I'd much rather have more varied smaller stages than a few huge ones that I get bored of by the time I can complete them 100%.
I don't like how the roll move controls very much, but was otherwise for the most part fine with the controls, though I haven't played it since it came out so I might be forgetting something.
I also don't like how you need to keep collecting butterflies to refill not only your "magic meter" that's used for literally every special move, but also your health. I didn't mind having 7 or 8 different types of collectibles in Kazooie (with 3 of them just being for different special moves), but Tooie went a bit overboard with the multitude of different egg types. I would have preferred at least health and "magic" refills being separate collectibles in YL, and it would be nice if the magic meter lasted longer (and there were less magic refills) so I don't constantly need to worry about refilling it when using special moves.

B.B.Link

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Hat in Time was one of the most disappointing games i've ever played next to BOTW. With its Mario 64 Style star collecting, glitchy gameplay and boring, draining collect-a-toning I kick myself everyday that i actually purchased it for 30 bucks on PSN. I swear, do ya'll even PLAY the games ya'll hype up?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
A Hat in Time was one of the most disappointing games i've ever played next to BOTW. With its Mario 64 Style star collecting, glitchy gameplay and boring, draining collect-a-toning I kick myself everyday that i actually purchased it for 30 bucks on PSN. I swear, do ya'll even PLAY the games ya'll hype up?
I guess you're just not a collect-a-thon fan.

Reactions: lampdemon

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Pre orders are live for a week or two although it costed me i pre ordered since im a collectathon fan but it was 65$ with shipping damn.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I expected a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie, what I got was an extremely generic 3D collect-a-thon platformer that played like a game from 1999. Maybe if Yooka Laylee released in 1999, it might have been considered a great game, but in 2017 it just plays like garbage. Awful level design, boring boss fights, awful controls. Pretty much all the flaws of an N64 game from a 2017 game.

A Hat in Time pretty much does everything Yooka Laylee was supposed to deliver on and does it 100x better. I would strongly suggest picking up A Hat in Time, if not now then when it launches on the Switch (whenever that will be).
Perhaps it felt like a generic 3D platforming collect-a-thon because Banjo is a generic 3D platforming collect-a-thon. With all due respect, that genre didn't age well.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Perhaps it felt like a generic 3D platforming collect-a-thon because Banjo is a generic 3D platforming collect-a-thon. With all due respect, that genre didn't age well.
I don't think that's true. Nintendo have kept the genre alive with Mario games, which are still doing very well, and A Hat in Time showed that there's still room for non-Mario collectathons (whether you like that game or not, it's been very positively received among people who played it)
Maybe Yooka-Laylee was just too similar to the collectathons of old, and the few things they did change to try to modernize it actually served as a detriment. I personally would have been fine with a carbon copy of Banjo-Kazooie, but I know many people want something more. What we got was neither though, it tried to be a carbon copy with some minor improvements but failed on both fronts.
I don't think Yooka-Laylee is a bad game at all, it simply didn't keep my interest. On the surface it seems great but once you start playing it it gets boring quickly. But for me personally, it's very hard to complete games these days, most games simply can't keep my interest for long enough, so that might be a personal problem.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i still think mario galaxy games are the best 3d platformers collec a thon type of games, still better than odissey to me :P

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i still think mario galaxy games are the best 3d platformers collec a thon type of games, still better than odissey to me :P
I liked Mario Galaxy (especially the sequel since it had so many stages)
I definitely like the variety that comes with having a ton of stages, but I also like exploring and discovering things, and Galaxy didn't give me much of that. I feel like Banjo-Kazooie had a nice middle ground, it kept levels from feeling overwhelming, they were just large enough with enough secrets to keep you interested and make you want to complete the levels 100%, and there were enough levels to keep it varied. Plus the large amount of varied challenges you had to do were a lot of fun. That's exactly what I wanted from Yooka-Laylee (personally I haven't been able to bring myself to beat Tooie even though I like it, it's just too much), but it's not what I got.
It's hard to hit that perfect middle ground, so I don't blame Playtonic for not being able to accomplish that after being out of the collectathon game for so long. But I hope with their next game they will.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I liked Mario Galaxy (especially the sequel since it had so many stages)
I definitely like the variety that comes with having a ton of stages, but I also like exploring and discovering things, and Galaxy didn't give me much of that. I feel like Banjo-Kazooie had a nice middle ground, it kept levels from feeling overwhelming, they were just large enough with enough secrets to keep you interested and make you want to complete the levels 100%, and there were enough levels to keep it varied. Plus the large amount of varied challenges you had to do were a lot of fun. That's exactly what I wanted from Yooka-Laylee (personally I haven't been able to bring myself to beat Tooie even though I like it, it's just too much), but it's not what I got.
It's hard to hit that perfect middle ground, so I don't blame Playtonic for not being able to accomplish that after being out of the collectathon game for so long. But I hope with their next game they will.
yeah odissey was just way to much, srs some stages had so manny moons it got very boring, i never played tooie but i loved kazooie, tbh my all time favorite 3d platformer is mario 64 hands down, i think he hit the perfect balance with level size,collectibles and exploration.

srs finding 8 stars on mario 64 is just way more satisfying than finding 100 moon per level on mario odissey. there were so much they lost all meaning.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't think that's true. Nintendo have kept the genre alive with Mario games, which are still doing very well, and A Hat in Time showed that there's still room for non-Mario collectathons (whether you like that game or not, it's been very positively received among people who played it)
Maybe Yooka-Laylee was just too similar to the collectathons of old, and the few things they did change to try to modernize it actually served as a detriment. I personally would have been fine with a carbon copy of Banjo-Kazooie, but I know many people want something more. What we got was neither though, it tried to be a carbon copy with some minor improvements but failed on both fronts.
I don't think Yooka-Laylee is a bad game at all, it simply didn't keep my interest. On the surface it seems great but once you start playing it it gets boring quickly. But for me personally, it's very hard to complete games these days, most games simply can't keep my interest for long enough, so that might be a personal problem.
At the end of the day the game was a cheap imitation on the verge of copyright infringement, I knew from the start that the primary selling point was nostalgia, not quality. As for the collect-a-thon elements of Mario, they're the insufferable elements of the series, but that's a matter of taste. I always felt that such mechanics were just artificially inflating otherwise shallow and short games. At the very least Banjo had the advantage of good humour, most imitations don't.
I played Galaxy for approximately 5 minutes. Not for me, I'm more of an NSMB kind of guy, and even then I'll pick something like Shantae over *yet another* Mario game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQqCfuxKoE