Yooka-Laylee is getting a physical version for Switch

Update: The 10% discount code has been reactivated until Sunday evening, the code is SAVESOMECOINS if anyone is still on the fence about ordering.

81309af09b96730f7e487daf0fd3c9f8_original.PNG

Playtonic have recently confirmed that Yooka-Laylee will be getting a physical version for Switch, courtesy of Limited Run Games. The price will be $49.99.

There will also be a collector's edition for $74.99 containing extra goodies such as a N64-style box and cartridge (non-functional), a poster and the official soundtrack. For Kickstarter backers who backed the "64-bit" tier containing a N64 cart USB flash drive, a discounted version of the collector's edition for only $34.99 will be available with a special cartridge color.

78bcda40b42d122c7b1454df786b8ca7_original.jpg

Pre-orders start on Friday, September 7 at 10AM ET at LimitedRunGames.com, and those interested will have to pre-order, as these are manufactured to demand.
All previous Kickstarter backers will receive a code for a 10% discount in time for Friday.

:arrow: Source (Kickstarter)
:arrow: Pre-order

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
At the end of the day the game was a cheap imitation on the verge of copyright infringement, I knew from the start that the primary selling point was nostalgia, not quality. As for the collect-a-thon elements of Mario, they're the insufferable elements of the series, but that's a matter of taste. I always felt that such mechanics were just artificially inflating otherwise shallow and short games. At the very least Banjo had the advantage of good humour, most imitations don't.
I played Galaxy for approximately 5 minutes. Not for me, I'm more of an NSMB kind of guy, and even then I'll pick something like Shantae over *yet another* Mario game.
3d Mario games are all very different from each other unlike 2d Mario games lol.

there is huge differences between
Mario 64 and sunshine
sunshine and galaxy
galaxy and 3d world
3d world and odyssey

srs they are all very very different from each other, much more different than shantae games difference from other shantae games :P

P

pasc

Ah, look, it's the fake banjo-kazooie successor (adds it to this *reason to buy a switch list*)

Really kind of pleased to see how good the switch support is..
Maybe Nintendo should start a "give us two of your 3DS and we give you a discount on your switch purchase"- program, i'd bite :D)

Last edited by ,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
yeah odissey was just way to much, srs some stages had so manny moons it got very boring, i never played tooie but i loved kazooie, tbh my all time favorite 3d platformer is mario 64 hands down, i think he hit the perfect balance with level size,collectibles and exploration.

srs finding 8 stars on mario 64 is just way more satisfying than finding 100 moon per level on mario odissey. there were so much they lost all meaning.
I forgot to mention Odyssey but I completely agree with you there. I got about half the moons (actually, that was largely thanks to the huge amount you're able to buy in the shops) and unlocked Darker Side, and I intend to beat those last 2 levels, but I don't think I'm going to bother getting every moon. It just doesn't feel like an accomplishment when there are so many of them and they're given away for every minor thing you do. The achievement based ones are cool though.
At the end of the day the game was a cheap imitation on the verge of copyright infringement, I knew from the start that the primary selling point was nostalgia, not quality. As for the collect-a-thon elements of Mario, they're the insufferable elements of the series, but that's a matter of taste. I always felt that such mechanics were just artificially inflating otherwise shallow and short games. At the very least Banjo had the advantage of good humour, most imitations don't.
I played Galaxy for approximately 5 minutes. Not for me, I'm more of an NSMB kind of guy, and even then I'll pick something like Shantae over *yet another* Mario game.
I agree on the first part. I do hope for the next one they will focus more on quality while still appealing to nostalgia, that was what A Hat in Time did, and it did so very well.
But the rest as you say is a matter of taste. NSMB is fine, but I feel it's gotten samey, it doesn't have the variety that the original SMB games on NES (and subsequently SMW and Yoshi's Island) did. I did buy NSMBU and had fun with it, but I don't think I'll buy the next one unless they make some changes to keep it fresh.
Shantae is great, and underrated. Not exactly my kind of game (but I did play Pirate's Curse a fair bit on 3DS), but I can still look at it objectively and recognize that it does what it set out to do very well.
Ah, look, it's the fake banjo-kazooie successor (adds it to this *reason to buy a switch list*)

Really kind of pleased to see how good the switch support is..
Maybe Nintendo should start a "give us two of your 3DS and we give you a discount on your switch purchase"- program, i'd bite :D)
If you want a physical version, you'll have to preorder as it won't be sold in stores. But the digital version will always be available.
GameStop does trade-in deals like that sometimes. I'm not aware of one for Switch (the Switch launch itself was hyped up and preorders were extremely limited, so they wouldn't have had any incentive to do a trade in deal since preorders were so limited), but it could still happen in the future once the 3DS is mostly dead.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
3d Mario games are all very different from each other unlike 2d Mario games lol.

there is huge differences between
Mario 64 and sunshine
sunshine and galaxy
galaxy and 3d world
3d world and odyssey

srs they are all very very different from each other, much more different than shantae games difference from other shantae games :P
They really aren't, they're all variations on a theme. Not that it would be a bad thing if they were identical in terms of mechanics, consistency is not a detriment, but to pretend that they're not cut out of the same cloth is just silly.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They really aren't, they're all variations on a theme. Not that it would be a bad thing if they were identical in terms of mechanics, consistency is not a detriment, but to pretend that they're not cut out of the same cloth is just silly.
So what is the difference between shantae games? they all have the same them and are 2d platformers, they are much much more similar than any 3d mario game is from one another...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So what is the difference between shantae games? they all have the same them and are 2d platformers, they are much much more similar than any 3d mario game is from one another...
I never said that there's anything different between the installments of Shantae, what I said was that the collect-a-thon elements of Mario are insufferable. I also said that I prefer Shantae and similar games to the Mario series in general. You're arguing with yourself, not with me, and I don't know why.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm...I didn't know about this one. I might have to give this game a try. is there a release date or did I just miss it?

I've been playing a lot of rpgs lately (xenoblade chronicles 2, ys viii, and octopath traveler). I could go for a change. I did love odyssey a lot if this is anything like it. :)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picked up a pre order today. I've been enjoying my "unofficial" copy on PC and wanted to get a legit copy on a platform that's easily accessible to my wife. Oddly enough her "Steam Machine" bottlenecks with this game so a Switch copy seems logical.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.