Yooka-Laylee: Release Date, New Trailer & Important Nintendo News

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by The Real Jdbye, Dec 13, 2016.

1. The Real Jdbye
    OP

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    534634521b4ff1dad60865eff0a77421_original.png

A new trailer for Yooka-Laylee has been posted on their Kickstarter page as well as a short video showing off one of the levels, along with some important news.

The Wii U version has been scrapped due to unforeseen technical difficulties, in favor of a Nintendo Switch version of the game.
    The game will launch on April 11, 2017 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, Mac and Linux.

Also, the Toybox demo previously only accessible to Kickstarter backers is now available to anyone who pre-orders the game.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Dec 13, 2016

2. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    It's because the Wii u is dead. Jumping ship is probably the right decision, but don't sugar the pill Playtonic: it's not technical, that's bullshit.

Last edited by KiiWii, Dec 13, 2016
    codezer0, Raylight and hobbledehoy899 like this.
  3. The Real Jdbye
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Their words, not mine. My guess is the Wii U couldn't handle the high polygon count.

Their exact words were:

SirBeethoven, KiiWii and Xiphiidae like this.
  4. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Lol yeah I wasn't saying it was your words, I just meant they're being "diplomatic" and bailing while they can. (Playtonic)

@The Real Jdbye it was not directed at you mate, I have updated my original response.

Last edited by KiiWii, Dec 13, 2016
  5. The Real Jdbye
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Maybe, but we all know the Wii U isn't exactly a powerhouse, I can totally see it not being powerful enough to run Yooka-Laylee.
    In other news, I get more hyped with each new trailer. It's exactly my kind of game. I'll probably be picking up the Switch version as well as the PC version which I already backed.

Xzi and KiiWii like this.
  6. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    It looks amazing, going to a collect-a-thon just like kazooie/tooie!

I've played the crap out of the toybox already, I was looking forward to Wii u version but perhaps now I should preorder a switch or get it on Xboner/ps4.

7. boomario

boomario Nothing to say here.

Oct 31, 2012
    Brazil
    I kind of understand that Wii U can easily have technical problems since Unity for Wii U is not very friendly, console is not powerful enough and not to say horrible tools for devs and nintendo way to be.
    But of course that wasn't the only reason, Wii U is almost dead and Switch is almost there so why they would bother releasing it and be obfuscated by the new console? Not to say another completely different platform to work with considering Wii U and Switch seems like to be very different each other, it's too much for a team that is already working with all other plataforms (PS4, Xone, PC (windows, mac, linux)). It certainly hurts the people that was expecting the Wii U version but this change were for the better.
    Also, i wouldn't doubt this change has strong nintendo influence on it in favor of the platform switch.

Last edited by boomario, Dec 13, 2016
  8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    why am i not surprised it didn't make it onto the wiiu :creep:

9. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's Saint Holy Sword Dragon

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    rest in pepperoni Wii U, time to forget about your existence.

Xzi, mironicurse and Bladexdsl like this.
  10. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    Loving it! Music sounds like Banjo-Kazooie and I swear I heard Grunty's voice in the 2nd video at 00:25 :D

11. DesuIsSparta

DesuIsSparta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Weaboo land
    I can't wait to play this game, even though i'll probably only play it once.

12. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    Looking forward to getting my digital code for this. Not expecting GOTY but be nice to play a 'AAA' platform game for a nice change of pace

13. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    Welp. Guess I'll get this on PS4

14. eduall

eduall GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2014
    are you gex? :tpi:
    :sad:miss Gex

kehkou likes this.
  15. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2014
    France
    ... And soon Nintendo will apologize as well and will say they'll skip the Wii U version of Zelda BOTW in favor of the Switch because of "technical difficulties".
    The Wii U is dead because of Nintendo themselves. Look at the PS3: even when the console was hacked Sony continued to support it, counter attacked with a new model more secure, and more updates to patch security holes, and new exciting games to push users to update if they want to play.

Nintendo are losers, now they offer 100 $ for hackers who help them secure their consoles... Really pathetic.
    They punish us, Wii U buyers, for their failure. I would never buy a Nintendo console again.

Last edited by depaul, Dec 13, 2016
  16. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I was the one who chose the Wii U version but now I'm trying to decide between the PC version or just waiting it out for the Switch version. I'm not sure why they chose to offer the Wii U option in the first place. That nostalgia, "hey, remember when we released stuff on Nintendo?" feeling? If they were going to try and downgrade the game, they might as well make ports for the PS3/360.

17. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    I would normally be angry it was cancelled for my Wii.U but I just got my PS4 which is nice! Totally looking forward to this looks awesome :P

18. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    This is pretty wrong of the project creators to ask for money in the hopes of a console version that is now cancelled. Even after they said how majority of backers choose the Wii U version and that will be the "definitive" version.

I'm not angry at all as my platform of choice is superior in every way.

KiiWii likes this.
  19. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I have my doubts that this couldn't be make on the Wii U, at the same time, I have my doubts that they are lying. I can't really tell. Not that it matters. It not like they just packed up and left, it is still coming to Nintendo.

It no denying the Switch is coming. If everything goes well, it will soon happen to the 3ds too. You can only support the old consoles for so long, rather it be successful or not. Doesn't anyone honestly want devs to not move their games onto the new console, knowing that is where most people are going? Like even Gamefreak is ready to move away from the 3DS, already.
    Even if it still came, people would complain why this coming to the Wii U, anyway.

Anyway, I might just pick this up for the Switch.

20. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    I swear i just saw Microsoft was the publisher for the game...hmmm each of the main 3 publishing the gane for thier respective consoles maybe?