NULL

XBox One DRM Back with a Vengeance

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Foxi4, Dec 18, 2013.

1. moerik

moerik GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Canada
    Canada, Alberta
    I can confirm that when my Gamecube shut itself off when I was on a Legend of Zelda; Ocarina of Time - Masters Quest marathon, playing it for hours non-stop, and losing a lot of progress.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Maybe it's time to open it up and dust it out? ;p

3. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Yeah, but have you tried playing them after not being connected to the internet for more than 24 hrs?

4. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Yes :|
    To test this exact theory.
    I tend to test all of my games for DRM checks, especially the Xbox One because of all the controversy.
    I did it on my 360 too (I could never play borderlands 2 offline for this exact reason, because it had a check in and if I wasn't online, I couldn't play my digital version)
    It's been a little while since I've checked but I could always do it again

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  5. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Is this the Xbox One and Microsoft's ecosystem performing the license check (what was originally proposed) or is this a game specific, publisher decision to add the license check in (their current policy)?

6. Nebz

Nebz The N00b

Jul 1, 2010
    United States
    Rhode Island
    Not sure on what you may exactly be speaking of but it sounds like what I read on Kotaku this evening at work.
    The title of this thread has surely rustled jimmies. You're better than this, tempers v__v

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-drm-check-poses-problem-for-killer-instinct-at-1485708399

chavosaur likes this.
  7. chavosaur

Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Thanks so much for the clarification, I didn't even think about this kind of situation.
    We certainly need a topic title change then, the thread is NOT what it appears to be.

Nebz likes this.
  8. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    [​IMG]

calmwaters and Satangel like this.
  9. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    for some reason they cant remove the check for digital games... and then it would be unfair for only digital players to suffer that fate, so they just HAVE to bring it back to disk buyers too

10. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Addict

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    Don't worry Sony won't be far behind in this, remember they had the same system in place the only difference is that they left it up to the publishers.

On the topic at hand, this whole DRM thing is getting out of hand... I would say it can't get much worse but I have learned to never say that... All we need now is the return of code wheels....

11. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy ~I have crippling depression~

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

No, it doesn't. About as much as playing a cracked version of a game on your computer means you have the rights license for it.

The Xbox 360 Non-JTAG exploit says "hi".

Tom Bombadildo likes this.
  12. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I sure hope this is a prank, otherwise I know someone who will develop a killer instinct themselves.

Edit: Wait a minute. The video that shows the evidence has been removed by the uploader. Yes Foxi, that video you have does not play. So if this was just a fluke, then why the hell was the video removed? By the uploader, no less? You think they forced him to take it off? Because that's what they usually do: claim copyright to it and voila, you never see it again. But he beat them to it.

Edit 2: Not like anyone cares, but this is the website where I got the topic for my thread from...

13. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    No they didn't. Everybody misinterpreted that. That was regarding online passes, no different than what we had.

14. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Have to call bullshit here... I spend a lot of time in hotels with my job. My xbox 360 goes with me every time. It's a pain in the ass to connect to hotel wifi with my 360 so I never bother. I play all of my digital games just fine (including Borderlands 2).

If you can't play a legitimately acquired digital game on your xbox 360 without an Internet connection then you don't have the license for that game on that console, which is likely the case here with Killer Instinct. Someone logged into a console that was not their "Home Console" and downloaded the DLC content to it for use in the tournament. Internet connection goes down and so does the ability to access LIVE as well as that content.

That is why the "transfer licenses" option is there. To provide a legitimate way of moving your digital content to, and accessing it on, a new console. Otherwise I could just download my profile and content to all my friends consoles and they'd have a shit-ton of free games seeing as 90% of my 360 game collection is digital.

chartube12 and chavosaur like this.
  15. chavosaur

Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Wait shit you're exactly right.
    I forgot I bought my 360 used and downloaded my Gamertag to it, but didn't do a license transfer because I couldn't until a few months later. I don't think I ever did it actually.
    Thanks for the correction there, I completely forgot about that.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  16. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    United Kingdom
    London
    I always knew this would happen.
    Well I'm going for PS4 anyways

[​IMG]

17. chavosaur

Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    But again, as had already been explained, this isn't the case anymore, it's misinformed.
    The stupid topic title just hasn't been changed yet

18. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!

Microsoft is satan. You don't ask for proof that satan is bad do you? No. Checkmate Chavo.

In other news, GBAtemp has finally hit Kotaku status.

19. chavosaur

Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    EZ-Megaman likes this.
  20. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Read the articles you're posting. It's literally working against your case.
    You don't have to be a Microsoft praetorian here - it's still digital rights management even if they don't call it that. I'll edit the OP when I get some spare time to remove the 24-hour check reference, but this is still a form of DRM that's triggered by a currently unknown factor.

calmwaters likes this.
NULL