Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Remember how Microsoft wanted to introduce a 24-hour online check to make sure that only the "rightful owner" plays a given video game? Remember how they had to do a 180 on it because the Internet collectively lost its mind? Well, it would seem that this DRM was placed back into the system stealthily and is in full swing as we speak, as shown in the video above.

Originally covered by a satirist website FGCNN, the incident occured during a Killer Instinct tournament. The system kicked the users offline and out of the game during the check. Giving Microsoft the benefit of the doubt, they contacted Microsoft regarding the issue, to no avail.

To prove that no foul play was involved, the parties involved in the incident posted the feed of the entire match that was affected here.

Here's for hoping that this is just a left-over from the system that could've been and that this "feature" will be removed by future updates.

UPDATE: Microsoft representatives have stated that there is no 24-hour check on the XBox One and the issue was unrelated to that form of DRM, it is currently being investigated more thoroughly. Kudos to chavosaur for the update on the situation.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Update

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh man, i hope this goes viral and spreads like wildfire. Telling us they got rid of the 24hour checkup and now this! They flat out lied and i hope they get a huge backlash about it. Did anyone really think they would just straight up get rid of it tho?

Reactions: RchUncleSkeleton

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Although this was covered by a satirist website, the video evidence is convincing enough to make me believe that the ownership check is indeed in the system, which is why I didn't post this as a rumour. It's pretty sad to see stuff like this popping up since, as said on the source website, it is inconvenience for the sake of inconvenience. This has to go.

Do note that the system didn't allow the player to save progress - the player filmed was just immediately kicked out of the game with no option to return to it without performing the ownership check.

inb4Gahars: XBox phone home?

Reactions: Gahars

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe it will be for digital retail versions and/or pub/dev Microsoft Studios and their subdivisions (First and 2nd party) only titles?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
maybe it will be for digital retail versions and/or pub/dev Microsoft Studios and their subdivisions (First and 2nd party) only titles?

It would seem like the check is only an issue with digital releases - with a physical release, you only have to insert the disk. It's currently unknown what the scope of the problem is as Microsoft didn't comment upon it.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe they are already busy with repairing / answering for all those who fell for the "Xbox 360 Compatibility Unlock of Death" prank? :P
Fuck them.
Deceiving customers like that isn't going to get them anywhere. If this proves true, the Xbone will be their last console

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I TRIED TO WARN YOU, WHY DIDN'T YOU LISTEN

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you made for yourselves, etc.

Man, the Xbox One is like that girl from class who was never really ugly, but kind of unappealing because she' never cared about her appearance. Then one day she puts in a little bit of effort and she cleans up nicely. You talk to her, you get to know her, ask her out, and everything seems great, like the perfect Hollywood turnaround love story. You're on cloud nine until you take her home and she takes off her pants, and then you see that she has a penis, and that penis is also a twelve barreled shotgun and then bam, you're lying dead with what you hope is only buckshot in your chest.

Thanks a lot, Microsoft.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get this.
This is literally the first and ONLY reported incident of this stuff happening.
How the hell can we just immediately assume they already put it back in?
As someone who has 2 digital titles (Killer instinct And Ryse Son of Rome)
I can safely say I've never once been kicked off while playing my digital games.
Y'all are taking one announcement and blowing it WAAAYY the fuck out of proportion.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman and NEP

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't get this.
I can safely say I've never once been kicked off while playing my digital games.
Y'all are taking one announcement and blowing it WAAAYY the fuck out of proportion.

GBAtemp blowing something out of proportion?
What? Get out, that never happens.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't get this.

The article does say that it happened to another person as well.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we have One video of a tourney that happened that Even Foxi says could have been using old hardware that still had the check in in place, and one post from some random guy with no actual evidence other then his post.
Console has been out for CLOSE to a month now and this issue hasn't been reported by anyone until now (and keep in mind, the latest system update was installed about a week or so ago, and still nothing was reported after the update.)
So this is literally the only evidence available, the only report, and yet we are gonna immediately accept it as fact.
OOOOOOOOKAY.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-