Xbox Games Pass starts June 1

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 24, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    381e76db-9cd7-47ea-b338-2901124d8a1d.jpg

With the advent of Sony's popular PlayStation Now service, Microsoft is more than willing to get in on some of that revenue. Already announced back in February, Xbox Game Pass will allow subscribers to pay a flat monthly fee in order to play a catalog of Xbox games. The biggest differing factor from PS Now and Game Pass is that instead of streaming the game to your console, you can download the game to your system, as if you own it. Costing 9.99 USD a month, you'll be able to choose from a monthly revolving door of Xbox One and Xbox 360 game titles, such as the first 3 Gears of War games, Bioshock, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Mad Max, Halo 5, and more. Any of the games currently in that month's catalog will also get 20% discounts, if one wants to purchase the title for permanent access. The service will start on June 1, and will also offer a 14-day free trial to all Xbox One owners. You can see a full list of the games below at the source. It's not clear whether this will ever come to PC much like PS Now, but the end of the promo video shows a very specific "Only on Xbox One" logo.

:arrow: Source

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Sweet, gives me the opportunity to catch up on some quick games.

3. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I wonder just how relevant the XboxOne still is. It seems a bit like everyone has already left it behind and this is a futile attempt to keep Microsoft's console in the game, but I could also see it having a large userbase in young, "bro-y", American teenagers who are mostly silent when it comes to online game discussions. Either the Xbox is having a rough time of things and is on it's way out, or they're silently making bank off a certain demographic.

4. fedehda

fedehda GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2017
    Argentina
    At your current screen. And in heaven
    No 360 :(

5. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    air2004 likes this.
  6. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    This really is how Nintendo should handle their Virtual Console service for the Switch. No one wants to pay to own each NES, SNES, N64, GC, GB/C/A, or DS game again and again. And who wouldn't want to just have a Netflix of previous Nintendo games to play at a monthly subscription price? Especially considering you'd be able to take all those classic games with you on the go or on the big screen.

samiam144 and netovsk like this.
  7. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
  8. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Xbox One has strong third party support and its userbase love Xbox LIVE so there's really nothing stopping Microsoft. Xbox does lack exclusives but they're clearly doing well without them anyway.

air2004 likes this.
  9. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Eh..Its just anoughter rental service.There is a big difference between owning a game and renting it.If you are going to dump 40$ every time you want to play a game,then you might as well buy the game.

Last edited by Ominous66521, May 24, 2017
    Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  10. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    If it comes to PC, wouldn't hackers just find a way to remove the drm, because you're downloading the game?

11. NeroAngelo

NeroAngelo Clueless Importer

Dec 31, 2003
    Libya
    I really don't get the appeal, so you just play them THAT month and when the rotation ends, you don't have access to them unless you buy them??

kingtut likes this.
  12. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Digital renting (Think Gamefly, but digital.) That's all it is.

NeroAngelo likes this.
  13. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Correction. If you are a gold member, the service started this past tuesday the 23. And the free trial for 14 days is only for gold members. Everyone else only gets 5 days

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Left xbox behind?, don't make me laugh. I got nearly 300 titles. Many of them for free and most from sales bundles.

kingtut likes this.
  14. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Hopefully this will budge Sony into bringing PSNow to other countries as well instead of not giving a fuck about it.

15. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Yo, it would be awesome if Microsoft could bring this to the PC. I mean, since it'll mostly be Xbox One/360 games, maybe just do a streaming solution like PS Now? Microsoft has the cloud infrastructure for it, and I have plenty of bandwidth :D

16. Disturbed1

Disturbed1 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
  17. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 3, 2017
    United States
    It is honestly worth it based on the deals alone imho, I mean between games with gold being awesome and xbox game pass and xbox sales and weekly deals with gold and all the occasional free games (like phantom dust, witcher 2 , lost odyssey, tekken tag tournament 2), I have been putting a lot of hours on xbox despite the lack of exclusives, perhaps more hours than playstation honestly. Playstations exclusives were constantly good this spring, but before that, there were a lot of months where there were no exclusives to play. And this is coming from someone who loves all consoles

it is only 10 bucks, and it has multiple games ,and you can play them offline. it is a good deal.

You still own them as long as you are subscribing, they are only going to add to them each months. We will wait and see if they are honest about not removing games from the service

Yeah, unless they force you to be online, I do not see how they can do it. They either need xbox emulators on pc, or they will need the support of valve and steam since most pc games are on steam, and the windows store is seriously lacking when it comes to big games that are not made by microsoft

Last edited by kingtut, May 29, 2017
  18. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    But if you already own a 360, then you're all good and no point giving MS the money. Plays old xbox, xbox 360, emulators, etc. Then again, who would want to display an old console in a glorious 4k/8k TV, right? /s Just think about it in the long run. Much cheaper if you have rgh/jtag one. This is good news, though. What MS is pushing is definitely competing with what Sony has given us. Nintendo should learn a thing or two. I think Nintendo's problem is that they don't have a clear and concrete plan on what to do with their online service/s. That or it's a region thing issue and licenses - NOA, NOE, Japan, etc.

kingtut likes this.
  19. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 3, 2017
    United States
    Even if you owned 360, you may not have had the experience of the good xbla games in xbox game pass. I got introduced to bionic commando rearmed 2, which became one of my underrated games.

I also feel that xbox game pass could be a good place for fighting game fans, because it has some really good fighting games that people do not know about. So if a lot of people subscribe to it, then people can finally play those games against each other. Since it will be free for all of the subscribers. Soul caliber 1 and 2 are awesome, and I highly recommend people to play king of fighters 98 (just turn off the flash effect to prevent seizures lol)

20. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    Those of us in the beta program where given a free month of this prior to it going live.

kingtut and chartube12 like this.