Hacking wwt+wit: Wiimms WBFS+ISO Tools

justme488

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why do you want to REconvert from ISO ? didn't you already do it the last day ?
Don't you want to convert the "mario kart.wbfs" to "Mario kart [GameID]/GameID.wbfs" ?

I deleted and started over when I had it all screwed up. see #1757

I have a hard drive will all iso's except 7 that converted until I realized it wouldn't rename and killed the terminal.
they are in format: Boom Blox - Bash Party [RYBE69].iso which should be right.
I would like to rename and convert to wbfs. this will be my main copy of games.

I have another drive (kids drive) that when that is complete, I would like to split them for the loader.

Last edited by justme488,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok, too bad.
So, I'll give you the command line.
just replace "/media/ed/Seagate" if it's not the correct folder where your ISO are, or where you want your WBFS files to be converted to.
Please, KEEP the "/%Y/%+" at the end, it's the format USBLoaderGX is using.

wit copy "/media/ed/Seagate" "/media/ed/Seagate/wbfs/%Y/%+" --wbfs --split

justme488

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, too bad.
So, I'll give you the command line.
just replace "/media/ed/Seagate" if it's not the correct folder where your ISO are, or where you want your WBFS files to be converted to.
Please, KEEP the "/%Y/%+" at the end, it's the format USBLoaderGX is using.

wit copy "/media/ed/Seagate" "/media/ed/Seagate/wbfs/%Y/%+" --wbfs --split

sorry was editing last post. would that still apply? will that give me /media/ed/Seagate/title [id].wbfs? I know to leave out the --split, because I only want to split them on the kid's drive for the loader.

Last edited by justme488,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, wbfs is for Wii games.
gamecube games need to be CLEAN untouched, uncompressed ISO. just rename the filename to "game" or "disc2" without converting.
if the extension is "gcm" you can rename the extension to "iso".

jimbo1qaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to test modified sequence files in Wind Waker. Apparently, all sequences are stored in JaiSeqs.arc. I can use wszst to automatically recompress that file, but using wit to rebuild the 1.3GB ISO takes a long time.

Dolphin's "DVD root" feature doesn't work on Wind Waker... Mario Sunshine... Brawl (multiple partitions)... Out of the games I tested, it only on Mario Kart Wii. :(

Do you have any suggestions for replacing one particular file in a Gamecube game in-place? (Is it a good idea to build an ISO with a very large file (then replace the file in-place) to avoid overwriting other data?)
- I think Wiiscrubber can replace files in an ISO. But it's a Windows-only GUI-based program, so I can't automate it in a build script (build JaiSeqs.arc, open ISO, replace data, fix metadata/checksums, save ISO in-place).
- https://github.com/jjgod/wiiscrubber-ng is CLI-compatible, but doesn't replace files.
- "wit edit" only removes or null-sizes files.

jimbo1qaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I'm working with GC Wind Waker.
It definitely appears that Gamecube games are not supported in Wit. I get a 4.6GB ISO, with a "Wii" logo under Dolphin, and corrupted banner name data. Booting results in "unknown instruction" errors, probably because of corrupted disk reads.
----
I tried replacing JaiSeqs.arc with 0x00,01...FF,00,01... Then locate the resulting string using (Python) `mmap.mmap(f.fileno(), 0, access=mmap.ACCESS_READ).find(orig_string)`.
It didn't find any hits. Even when I truncated it to 32 bytes or so of JaiSeqs.arc, it didn't find anything.
Maybe that's because Wit automatically encrypts written ISOs, which are assumed to be Wii-only?

Last edited by jimbo1qaz,

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Wiimm, I'm having trouble creating a custom game image for a GameCube game "007 Nightfire". I extract the disc with

Code:
wit x e:\games\007nightfire.iso

and it creates a FST dump of the disc. There's a file on there, \files\common\TuningVars.txt, that I changed. Now I want to recompile the disc and load it with Dolphin. Every time I do, WIT creates a Wii ISO. Because it is a GameCube game, this does not work. (Dolphin crashes trying to load it).

xed6zoM.png

I can't recompile the image even without changing a single file on the disc. Even in --copy-gc mode, it still creates Wii images. Do you have any advice on creating GameCube images? Can WIT or any of your other tools do it?

johnsanc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any idea why WIT / WWT scrub the data after the update partition for the following games?

- Ant Bully (RI3E5D, RI3P5D)
- Rampage: Total Destruction (RPGE5D, RPGP5D)
- Link's Crossbow Training (RZPK01)

Is there anyway to preserve this data the way that Wii Backup Manager does?

johnsanc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True. However, those are the only 3 known games that cannot be unscrubbed back to a full ISO because of this. Another developer figured out pretty genius way unscrub just about any ISO or WBFS file and these are the ones that cause a problem unless scrubbed with WBM (not my preferred scrubbing tool).

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True. However, those are the only 3 known games that cannot be unscrubbed back to a full ISO because of this. Another developer figured out pretty genius way unscrub just about any ISO or WBFS file and these are the ones that cause a problem unless scrubbed with WBM (not my preferred scrubbing tool).

You could always scrub them then create a binary diff patch between the scrubbed/original, but honestly with Wii discs that data isn't needed. Anything that isn't part of the system area or in a partition container doesn't matter as the title can't read those areas.

johnsanc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if the data is trash, do you know what it is and why that trash differs from all other discs? Do you know if it can be regenerated algorithmically like all other junk padding data on Wii discs?

I ask because although I agree the data is useless, it's nice to be able to rebuild to a 100% full ISO, junk data and all for backup and preservation purposes. Large hard drives are cheap now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiimm

Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
Large hard drives are cheap now.
But how do backup the space of the hardrive, that is not allocated by any file? Do you buy a second drive? You see, backup of not used space is an endless story.

Do you know if it can be regenerated algorithmically like all other junk padding data on Wii discs?
Why algorithmically? I can reconstruct the scrubbed data by dumping the game again.

johnsanc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use an array with a parity drive for my backups. I use unraid.

Unscrubbing is faster than redumping discs.

Wiimm

Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
I use an array with a parity drive for my backups. I use unraid.
You misunderstood me:
For the Wii you will backup the space/waste between the files. Do you do the same for your hard drives?

Unscrubbing is faster than redumping discs.
Unscrubbing is not possible! Because scrubbing = removing unneeded/unwanted data.

johnsanc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I misunderstood. Space is not a concern for me.

Unscrubbing is possible. The algorithm is now known and junk data for wii discs can be reconstructed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Spend 50 hours playing the game