wwt+wit: Wiimms WBFS+ISO Tools

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Wiimm, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    An ISO is not possible.

2. Nickkk

Nickkk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2012
    Swaziland
    Hey Wiimm, I just noticed that there seems to be an issue in wit: it is case insensitive. What I mean is that if I have a game on the Desktop named asd.wbfs and in wit create a new game named ASD.wbfs, the old asd.wbfs will be removed, but the new game will be named ASD.wbfs anyway. Is this a known issue? (I'm on Mac.) Thanks!

3. JIKILAN

JIKILAN Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2017
    Senegal
    Hi Wiimm, would like to check with you about gcz compression. Why your compression is so much faster than Dolphin emulator (official 5.0)? By using a same iso file, i can get 2 different file sizes (wit vs dolphin). Dolphin took about 10 mins but wit is 2 mins.
    Curious to understand more. Thanks!

4. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    @Nickkk
    wit is case sensitive (I can create a.wdf and A.wdf and both files exists) . But if the files system is not, then the effects your described will happen.

5. JIKILAN

JIKILAN Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2017
    Senegal
    Is the gcz output by wit is just a placeholder for encrypted game data + algo to be compatible with dolphin? Just some wild guessing, the speed it has in my VM is too fast but it works.

In the other hand, i am not able to decompress gcz from Dolphin by using wit. I just a tested a few of my files.

6. Nickkk

Nickkk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2012
    Swaziland
    Hmmm. I'm confused now, because apparently HFS+ (the standard Mac filesystem) is case insensitive, but filenames can contain both uppercase and lowercase letters, yet if I have a file named asd.wbfs and in wit I want to create ASD.wbfs, it complains that the file already exists. Do you know what is happening?

7. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    1.) You can create ads.wbfs.

2.) Then you create ADS.wbfs, and because of case insensitivity, the system deletes ads.wbfs.

8. Nickkk

Nickkk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2012
    Swaziland
    Yes, I get the point, but then if I can create both files from any other app why isn't this possible in wit?

I have also observed that when a game filename contains the "=" character, it doesn't get listed at all. Is this a bug (since the character is allowed for filenames in the Finder)? Thanks!

9. Nickkk

Nickkk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2012
    Swaziland
    I have also another question about GameCube games, since I couldn't find any information on the wit/wwt website. Currently it is possible to convert GC games to all formats, but can they actually be played when they are in a format different than iso or on a WBFS partition?

10. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    I don't know. I started with GameCube support years ago, but I have never finished and also not tested it deeply.

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Depends on what you're using to play them. I don't think anything other than Wii USB loaders support WBFS partitions, and those have been deprecated due to various problems.

For standalone disc images, Nintendont supports CISO format, while Dolphin supports CISO, WBFS, and GCZ.

12. bengalih

bengalih Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2009
    United States
    So I just ran a scan of wwt against all my wbfs to verify they were good or not.
    I got a few that were bad and after ripping from disc again everything was good.

However I have one game that is showing bad with errors like:

WBFSv1 #1/1 opened: w:\wbfs\RRKE70.wbfs
    >scan 1.0 UPDATE RRKE70 Alone in the Dark
    >info TICKET & TMD are well signed. Partition is encrypted.
    +OK 1.0 UPDATE RRKE70 Alone in the Dark
    >scan 1.1 DATA RRKE70 Alone in the Dark
    >info TICKET & TMD are well signed. Partition is encrypted.
    !H0-ERR 1.1 DATA RRKE70 Alone in the Dark
    !H0-ERR 1.1 DATA RRKE70 Alone in the Dark
    * WBFS #1: 1 disc verified, 1 bad disc found.
    Unfortunately, it seems my original disc appears scratched, which may have accounted for the errors - so I went in search of another copy to download. I have downloaded like 4-5 copies of this game from different sources and they *all* give me these errors in the data partition.

I realize that although I got these copies from different sources, it is possible the same copy has just gotten around. Although there have been differences - for instance the copy shown above has all the UPDATE partitions as well, whereas other copies I got only had GAME. I can find no evidence in any threads where I obtained the copy of people complaining the game won't work, but again I can't find a single copy anywhere that doesn't fail with these !H0-ERR.

While unlikely, I'm asking if it is possible that the tools could be wrong, or that this disc actually got pressed with a bad header?

I would love confirmation from someone else that there copy of this game passes all checks.

thoughts?

thanks

UPDATE - After scouring online and downloading about 8 different copies I finally found one that checks out with no errors!
    So, it looks like there is no need question the integrity of the tools, it's just that so many bad copies are circulating it was an effort to find a good one.

Last edited by bengalih, May 30, 2017
  13. Ebola16

Ebola16 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    @Wiimm or whoever can provide more information,

Is there an ISO size limit or limit on the number of files in an ISO for Wii Games? For me, Super Smash Bros. Brawl (NTSC-U) with custom content seems to crash once the ISO size exceeds ~9,603,872 KB

14. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    That's too big for a DVD image. They're either ~4.5GB or ~9GB.

15. Ebola16

Ebola16 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    Darn, it'd be nice if ISOs larger that a ~9GB DVD image could be played via USB Loader.

Also, is there a limit on the number of files that an ISO can hold too? I removed some non-essential music files and added a lot of smaller character model files from my ISO to reduce it to ~8GB (below the ISO size limit). This caused the game to hang and Dolphin Emulator logs suggest that the hang had nothing to do with the files I removed. I should also state that my normal (and functional) Super Smash Bros. Brawl ISO modset is currently 7,925,024 KB.

16. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
  17. Ebola16

Ebola16 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    Ah that explains a lot. Thanks! If you did find a way for us to have a larger H3, I'd be very interested! This is the best alternative to SDHC support in Dolphin Emulator, which it lacks.

Last edited by Ebola16, Jun 1, 2017
  18. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Dolphin has SD card emulation. I have a 128GB card image I use for testing homebrew before putting it on my real console. :P

19. Ebola16

Ebola16 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    Although virtual SD cards can be created that are larger than 2GB, read errors will begin occurring once ~1.95GB of data is in the virtual SD card, regardless of its total size. See https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/8823

Actual SDHC support in Dolphin would be the ideal solution to this problem, but using an ISO >9.5 GiB could also work.

20. JosJuice

JosJuice Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2009
    Sweden
    I would like to report a bug (tested in v2.40a using an Animal Crossing PAL ISO). When extracting a GameCube game, the fst.bin file ends up being 4 times too large, with the last 3/4 of it being garbage. I suppose that the FST size stored at 0x428 is being multiplied by 4 even though that only should be done with Wii games. I haven't tested if the import code has an equivalent bug.

Wiimm likes this.