Hacking Question Worth to update to latest firmware or keep console in 4.1?

ssssss13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on getting SXOS Pro. What are the big cons of upgrading?

Only the option of a tetherless option in the future?

ssssss13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don¡t get this method. Updates the CFW to 5.1 but keeps the console at 4.1?
But what if I dont have any 5.1 games to get the files from?
Fuses are what prevents the Switch from downgrading. If you update and you burn a fuse, you will not be able to return to your original firmware. For example, updating from 4.1 to 5.X will burn an additional fuse. However, there are methods of updating without burning fuses which will allow you to load any firmware you want while being able to return to your original firmware. The catch is that you when you load a firmware that does not match the number of fuses currently burnt (i.e. 5.X on a console with 4.1 originally meaning it has 5 fuses burnt), you must boot into RCM first otherwise the fuse(s) will be burnt. One method involves using AutoRCM as it will ensure you always enter RCM when you turn the console on which is what the tool I linked will install. You can also get the 5.1 firmware update files from other places, if you pay attention to any coughing.
Stay on 4.1 until atmosphere release.
No need as we can load higher firmwares through RCM without burning fuses which preserves a path towards downgrading. Only stipulation is the usage of AutoRCM but most people already use it and it can be easily managed.

Reactions: bjaxx87

Zeus3k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Neither, instead update without burning fuses by using this tool: https://gbatemp.net/threads/choiduj...ller-homebrew-for-the-nintendo-switch.513416/

That way you can still be able to load firmware 4.1 while still being on the latest firmware, giving you more options in the future.

But the question I have is if you plan to go online. Has anyone reported being banned for doing this. My thoughts is using this method and only running with my official cartridges. If at any time I go offline, I would backup full NAND and then restore it before going back online. But the question is has anyone been banned using this method?

Bumblecito

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Fuses are what prevents the Switch from downgrading. If you update and you burn a fuse, you will not be able to return to your original firmware. For example, updating from 4.1 to 5.X will burn an additional fuse. However, there are methods of updating without burning fuses which will allow you to load any firmware you want while being able to return to your original firmware. The catch is that you when you load a firmware that does not match the number of fuses currently burnt (i.e. 5.X on a console with 4.1 originally meaning it has 5 fuses burnt), you must boot into RCM first otherwise the fuse(s) will be burnt. One method involves using AutoRCM as it will ensure you always enter RCM when you turn the console on which is what the tool I linked will install. You can also get the 5.1 firmware update files from other places, if you pay attention to any coughing.
No need as we can load higher firmwares through RCM without burning fuses which preserves a path towards downgrading. Only stipulation is the usage of AutoRCM but most people already use it and it can be easily managed.

Actually you can update normally without doing all the that tutorial stuff and mess with partitions but before you get the first system reboot after update you must enter rcm and activate autorcm.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the question I have is if you plan to go online. Has anyone reported being banned for doing this. My thoughts is using this method and only running with my official cartridges. If at any time I go offline, I would backup full NAND and then restore it before going back online. But the question is has anyone been banned using this method?
All bans have been due to using SX OS, LayeredFS, and one case of clearing error logs on 5.X plus using a GBA emulator. However, just because no one has been banned yet doesn't mean its safe as any console modifications can lead to a ban. If being on 5.1 without getting banned is that important to you AND you don't mind using a jig and USB cable to load hacks, you can just update to 5.1 officially.
Actually you can update normally without doing all the that tutorial stuff and mess with partitions but before you get the first system reboot after update you must enter rcm and activate autorcm.
Still risky if the console does reboot into RCM after the update. Not all methods of inducing RCM are 100% effective.

Bumblecito

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I updated with both methods and believe me both of them are secure if you do it correctly, but the one i meaning is the easiest.

kai_dranzer2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Neither, I update to 5.1 burning fuses and so happy with ReiNX and Breath of the Wild master mode :yayswitch:

It's ridiculous to stay on 4.x and lower, I don't care to play online right now, I´m dont Banned, I just will restore nand backup when release Smash Bros :)

Last edited by kai_dranzer2003,
Reactions: thorasgar

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Neither, I update to 5.1 burning fuses and so happy with ReiNX and Breath of the Wild master mode :yayswitch:

It's ridiculous to stay on 4.x and lower, I don't care to play online right now, I´m dont Banned, I just will restore nand backup when release Smash Bros :)

You do know that restoring a nand backup doesn't guarantee that you wont get banned right? Cause the nand wont be "clean"

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere wont work past 4.1? Whats the difference atmosphere with other cfw
The current exploit that is used to load all CFWS, and eventually Atmosphere, works on all firmwares of current Switch revisions. Its not that Atmosphere won't work on higher firmwares but higher firmwares have less options to load Atmosphere in the future.

RedHunter

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Stay on 4.1 until atmosphere release.
Lol are you guys going to say this forever?

Op just update and enjoy your console with SX, if you listen to these guys you may wait for another year, and for what? Tetherless option, nice option yeah but not worth the wait for me, I'm on vacation and I'm so glad I updated it and finally enjoying it.

ssssss13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The current exploit that is used to load all CFWS, and eventually Atmosphere, works on all firmwares of current Switch revisions. Its not that Atmosphere won't work on higher firmwares but higher firmwares have less options to load Atmosphere in the future.

I just realized I need to update either way for the microsdxc patch so...

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just updated in the end and burned a fuse. Screw Atmosphere I've got what I wanted at this point, mods & illegal methods :rofl2:

I'll maybe regret it a year or two from now but ehhh... I'll probably not care by the time it does anything substantial.

Reactions: efxonly123

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.