How do I update my firmware safely?

BTtemp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just purchased Unicorn Overlord but I have to update a bunch of stuff like atmosphere, hekate, sigpatches (how do I find the latest?)

So first make a NAND back up and consoles unique keys right?

I'm very hesitant to update because I have a RCM loader and everything works perfectly at the moment

Should I clone my SD card before starting? Is it possible to go back to my current firmware in case I can't get it t work? And basically use my files from my cloned sd card

Is it possible to dump the Unicorn Overlord even though I am on a un updated firmware? It says Error game card application count is zero! In order to be able to parse any kind of metadata from this gamecard and or dump its contents to NSPs make sure your console is at least on this FW Version. Press Y to dump the gamecard to gamecard.xci

I pressed Y and dumped it, does that mean the cartridge was dumped? So when I update, I can use this XCI to install on my switch?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just purchased Unicorn Overlord but I have to update a bunch of stuff like atmosphere, hekate, sigpatches (how do I find the latest?)

So first make a NAND back up and consoles unique keys right?

I'm very hesitant to update because I have a RCM loader and everything works perfectly at the moment

Should I clone my SD card before starting? Is it possible to go back to my current firmware in case I can't get it t work? And basically use my files from my cloned sd card

Is it possible to dump the Unicorn Overlord even though I am on a un updated firmware? It says Error game card application count is zero! In order to be able to parse any kind of metadata from this gamecard and or dump its contents to NSPs make sure your console is at least on this FW Version. Press Y to dump the gamecard to gamecard.xci

I pressed Y and dumped it, does that mean the cartridge was dumped? So when I update, I can use this XCI to install on my switch?
You can decrypt the XCI on a PC using prod.keys/keys.txt found online. I don't think you can do it directly on the Switch without updating.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: BTtemp

BTtemp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can decrypt the XCI on a PC using prod.keys/keys.txt found online. I don't think you can do it directly on the Switch without updating.
how do i find the prod.keys on the cartridge? is this easier than updating atmosphere, firmware etc

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
how do i find the prod.keys on the cartridge? is this easier than updating atmosphere, firmware etc
I said found online. You can find it in some GitHub repos, or on Pastebin just by searching Google. I was able to find one linked to from a GitHub wiki page just a couple days ago that has the latest keys. "yuzu keys" is usually a good phrase to search for.

In any case, updating is always the same process. Extract the latest firmware archive from that darth site, extract the latest sigpatches (I use the thread on here that has them attached), and the latest Hekate and Atmosphere versions. Then run Daybreak and install the update.
If you use a custom theme, uninstall it first. If the console crashes on boot afterwards, delete SD:\atmosphere\contents (sometimes old files used by certain homebrew or sysmodules left in here can break after a firmware update, they should be reinstalled/updated after deleting the folder)
I always make sure to update the reboot_payload.bin in the Atmosphere folder after updating Atmosphere, replacing it with the Hekate payload, otherwise rebooting boots Atmosphere directly instead of booting Hekate. But Hekate has an option to update it automatically so it's not really needed as long as that is enabled.

Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto