Work you like that "they" may soon have the technology to adapt.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"they could never turn that book into a film"

"they could never turn that board game into a computer game"

"that story would take 50 hours to fully tell"

Such remarks have been heard time and time again. Time and time again they have been shown to be wrong in the end, but might not have been wrong at the time.

We are living in interesting times. What small budget film makers can do today would have been unimaginable even a decade ago, and a decade ago things were also pretty interesting with the introduction of relatively easy to learn 3d modelling, footage editing and hire of the nice RED cameras. The board game Go in terms of mathematical complexity demonstrably will take supercomputers of today to even be a beginner player if you take the traditional more power approach that chess algorithms first popularised, but machine learning gave us the Alphago family (and the concept also made deep inroads into smash brothers). More generally then we are seeing TV shows (assuming it still gets the name TV show) take many series to tell what would have been considered an unfilmable book in previous years, though somewhat amusingly many of those sorts of works might well have been able to be told via computer games where however many dozen hours is fairly normal. Games themselves are also getting more able to do things, and while we are probably still a while off a full few hundred thousand person simulation of a war (generals and logistics on down) or something it is not quite an idle thought experiment at this point.
Back on programs then if facial animations, movement capture and voice synthesis get only a little bit better (and possibly computers a little bit more powerful to attempt such a thing in real time) that could make for some truly impressive adaptations and games, and probably keep an army of lawyers busy for decades to come figuring out what likeness rights are in such a world, or indeed make for some very odd experiences (if the character is a virtual construct largely animated by numbers they can be swapped out and the remix potential* or silliness potential** there is endless with the end user being able to generate their own replacements and do it locally and thus outside the purview of a copyright holder).

*replace the main character with virtual replacement for sonic the hedgehog. Sure why not.
**replace all the characters (say 50+) with virtual replacement sonic the hedgehog to make a "one man show" type deal... are you telling me you wouldn't?

So then what traditionally too niche, too complicated or too expensive to adapt work might you be excited to see be made? Book to TV, book to film, book to game, game to TV, TV to game, official or unofficial (unofficially presumably being auto "re"generated from existing assets and ported over)... it matters little.

I am also curious to see if people will emulate the "jank" of the early attempts at this as well like we see many internet videos knowingly still use stock image a like setups and deliberately crude animations but that is probably a different topic.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Life extensions (small to moderate I believe are possible within the next few decades for sure)
We have had that thread elsewhere in various forms. This was more about things and concepts that they can turn into books, audiobooks, plays, films, games... that they would not have been able to prior to that for either technological reasons, or that while it might be theoretically possible today the audience is too small to justify the expense.

Anyway assuming fantasy is not dead thanks to the last series of game of thrones I would not mind seeing some of the Gentleman Bastard sequence get a film series or TV show as I love con films/TV shows and those do very well but I have never seen a high fantasy con films. Also would not mind seeing some of the Brandon Sanderson books (especially if they have him in enough capacity to keep things on track) become something -- we were supposed to be getting a Mistborn computer game some years back but that never materialised.

Game wise I already mentioned the potential for massive battles. Would not mind seeing some kind of grand strategy be resolved by individual battles.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Anyway assuming fantasy is not dead thanks to the last series of game of thrones I would not mind seeing some of the Gentleman Bastard sequence get a film series or TV show as I love con films/TV shows and those do very well but I have never seen a high fantasy con films. Also would not mind seeing some of the Brandon Sanderson books (especially if they have him in enough capacity to keep things on track) become something -- we were supposed to be getting a Mistborn computer game some years back but that never materialised.
I literally had all of these in mind when I was reading this thread earlier. Especially Gentlemen Bastards, since I just finished reading the three current books (that have been on my backlog forever) just a few weeks ago.

So many different fantasy book series which I think would absolutely be possible for a full TV series; all the Robin Hobbs books, the more popular Drizzt Forgotten realms series, the entire Warhammer series is untapped potential for tv series and movies, Kingkiller Chronicles (when Rothfuss finishes the fucking series anyways, hurry the fuck up :angry:), Stormlight Archives etc etc etc.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally, I’m looking forward to the new TV adaptation of The Stand, by Stephen King. Well, perhaps apprehensively anticipating would be a better description.

It’s a difficult book to translate to other mediums, as previous attempts have shown. But, maybe, just maybe a modern, multi-series show might manage it.

Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up