Hacking Wood R4 BUGS and Compatibility

flamingo24

Trophies
XP
Country
@Daisuke Master
You can try using the akaio converter, it allows the user to go from a raw save - akaio or vice-versa. The extension should also be gba.sav.

pilladoll said:
Hi! I have a problem with a friend's R4. When we turns on the DS, it stucks in "Loading".

We think the R4 Is original, maybe it's a fake?

Here are some photos of his R4:
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9589/dsc00237gj.jpg
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/818/dsc00241o.jpg
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/6031/dsc00239hq.jpg
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/6482/dsc00238d.jpg

Its a clone.

Blazikun

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Vanth88 said:
pyrosurfer said:
BUGS:
-whilst playing Final Fantasy - save file + usrcheat.dat corrupted my card. Firmware does not work and cannot launch the patched DLDI driver (possibly).
When booting YSMenu from the WOODr4 firmware, i get "Could not fatInitDEFAULT" error

-saves as .nds.sav. this SAV format is partially compatible with the native R4 firmware, but is not hot-swappable and corrupts if you rename

-VERY SLOW FIRMWARE due to numerous bugs. it struggles to save files in more than 5 seconds (due to the R4's lack of NAND Flash)

MASSIVE BUG ON WOODr4

I just ran chkdsk on my microSD, and it found that all the savefiles from the WOODr4 firmware were cross-linked, or otherwise linked to certain parts of the firmware, unnecessarily, which made the game run really slow. CHKDSK truncated the savefiles and removed their links. this would only be temporary, but i noticed a massive improvement after using WarioWare DIY and finding that it wasnt slow.

It also seems that WoodR4 corrupts the actual File System on the card. i use FAT16, and woodr4 changed it somehow.
unsure.gif

Renaming the sav files does NOT corrupt the files themselves, using cheats can corrupt the save but NOT the whole card and it's firmware, the fact that you mentioned that you can't save games in less than 5 seconds leads me to believe that it isn't Wood R4 but your card, also Wood R4 cannot change the filesystem, and why would you run YsMenu anyways?

Reformat your card using SD Formatter(newest version), clean up your computer(scan for viruses, fix the registry, etc.), and try buying a better card if all else fails(you might have a cheap knock off). Wood R4 is not to be blamed for anything that had happened, the only thing you could blame is the cheats because they can corrupt the save for that game(depending on the cheats and the game, like Pokemon).

wait. no it wasnt that that corrupted it.

VOID MY POST ABOUT THE BUG!

It was DSOrganize. NEVER use that sh*tty file.
Also. my R4 is genuine. bought in 2006.

huh.gif
can you boot this "through filebrowser"(e.g. open up R4's native menu then tap the NDS launcher for the WOODR4 firmware, like a launchable YSMenu?

andPS2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phoenix wright - and justice for all
old ysmenu savegame wont work even when renamed
just shows new game in the menu
as a workaround ysmenu exists as a nds file
so u can load it from wood

seahorsepip

Trophies
Website
seahorsepip.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
pilladoll said:
Hi! I have a problem with a friend's R4. When we turns on the DS, it stucks in "Loading".

We think the R4 Is original, maybe it's a fake?

Here are some photos of his R4:
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9589/dsc00237gj.jpg
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/818/dsc00241o.jpg
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/6031/dsc00239hq.jpg
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/6482/dsc00238d.jpg
reformat micro sd card as fat32 and try again...if not work look for rockstar version and try that one(rockstar version is wood r4 for r4 clone)

eggsample

punahussy
Trophies
Website
eggsample.pl
XP
Country
Poland
tested roms
firmware: wood r4 v. 1.05 and AK Wood R4 Special Version kernel (English ) 1.24 loader

SpongeBob SquarePants Boating Bash - white screen. I've treat rom with eNDryptS Advanced. Works but game is total crap for me. (wood-OK, AKspecial-OK)

Korg ds-10 plus - does not working. nosgba CRASH. Bad dump or wood dan't run it. (wood-OK, AKspecial-OK)

Blazikun

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pyrosurfer said:
Vanth88 said:
pyrosurfer said:
BUGS:
-whilst playing Final Fantasy - save file + usrcheat.dat corrupted my card. Firmware does not work and cannot launch the patched DLDI driver (possibly).
When booting YSMenu from the WOODr4 firmware, i get "Could not fatInitDEFAULT" error

-saves as .nds.sav. this SAV format is partially compatible with the native R4 firmware, but is not hot-swappable and corrupts if you rename

-VERY SLOW FIRMWARE due to numerous bugs. it struggles to save files in more than 5 seconds (due to the R4's lack of NAND Flash)

MASSIVE BUG ON WOODr4

I just ran chkdsk on my microSD, and it found that all the savefiles from the WOODr4 firmware were cross-linked, or otherwise linked to certain parts of the firmware, unnecessarily, which made the game run really slow. CHKDSK truncated the savefiles and removed their links. this would only be temporary, but i noticed a massive improvement after using WarioWare DIY and finding that it wasnt slow.

It also seems that WoodR4 corrupts the actual File System on the card. i use FAT16, and woodr4 changed it somehow.
unsure.gif

Renaming the sav files does NOT corrupt the files themselves, using cheats can corrupt the save but NOT the whole card and it's firmware, the fact that you mentioned that you can't save games in less than 5 seconds leads me to believe that it isn't Wood R4 but your card, also Wood R4 cannot change the filesystem, and why would you run YsMenu anyways?

Reformat your card using SD Formatter(newest version), clean up your computer(scan for viruses, fix the registry, etc.), and try buying a better card if all else fails(you might have a cheap knock off). Wood R4 is not to be blamed for anything that had happened, the only thing you could blame is the cheats because they can corrupt the save for that game(depending on the cheats and the game, like Pokemon).

wait. no it wasnt that that corrupted it.

VOID MY POST ABOUT THE BUG!

It was DSOrganize. NEVER use that sh*tty file.
Also. my R4 is genuine. bought in 2006.

huh.gif
can you boot this "through filebrowser"(e.g. open up R4's native menu then tap the NDS launcher for the WOODR4 firmware, like a launchable YSMenu?

ziko360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vanth88 said:
ziko360 said:
Hi
have you guys noticed that the battery consumption has got even worst with the Wood R4 ?
with the second level of brightness (levels : 0,1,2,3), it only lasts 2 hours !
is that normal ?
and plz know that it's a new ds lite (bought it one month ago)

I wouldn't say so, I always use brightness level 3(out of 4 I believe? so that would be level 2 for you?) and my DS is fine for 6-7 hours of game play(without wifi) then again I don't time it so it could be more than that. I'd make sure you charge your DS any time you get a chance, and if it still only lasts 2 hours than try the native firmware for your Card(R4, M3 Simply, etc. even YsMenu) and see what it does.

ok thx i'll try

raylgo

Trophies
XP
Country
How do I get Infinite Space to work on WoodR4 1.05? I have tried a trimmed and a clean ROM, both giving me black screens...

DIXES

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
The EWIN GBA Loader used by EWIN Expansion Pak, there is a issue when running GBA games in Wood R4.
When EWIN GBA Loader has loaded a ROM and boot in game, play the game in a while then crashed.
There is no issue when use the EWIN GBA Loader in R4 v1.18.

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I found a bug, actually two...

1) When playing LemingsDS (which is a homebrew) the soft reset (A+B+L+R+Down) doesn't work.

2) When playing another game, soft reset and then play LemingsDS the screen is corrupted when the level starts. It looks like not everything is reset to power-on state after the soft reset.

Nothing serious, but I just wanted to let you know...

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
1. NDS needs to be reset for a theme to change.
2. Some themes do not have a working 'start' menu button, even though the creator claimed the 'start' button worked.
3. Does not create .nds.sav files for homebrew games most of the time. The only homebrew i've gotten it to create a .nds.sav file for is that game where it teaches you simple piano songs. (Hell, I even had to rename a .nds.sav file from another game so I could save on Tales of Dagur!)
4. Cannot, for the life of me, figure out why soft-reset doesn't work. ABXYLRStart doesn't work. ABXYLRStartDown doesn't work. Every combination of soft-reset keys don't work. It doesn't work on ANYTHING.

Also, does the 'link with gba' button work? I'd like to put the expansion of Daigasso! Band Brothers into the NOR of my 3in1 and uses the expansion songs from there instead of as a separate .nds file with the songs patched over the regular game. (On YSMenu it didn't work. O.o)

flamingo24

Trophies
XP
Country
Inunah said:
1. NDS needs to be reset for a theme to change. = This is required
2. Some themes do not have a working 'start' menu button, even though the creator claimed the 'start' button worked. = The button may not be part of the bmp, if you press the "Start" button it should work.
3. Does not create .nds.sav files for homebrew games most of the time. The only homebrew i've gotten it to create a .nds.sav file for is that game where it teaches you simple piano songs. (Hell, I even had to rename a .nds.sav file from another game so I could save on Tales of Dagur!) = Not all homebrew require a .sav file, the original R4 just created one as a blanket as it did with soft reset.
4. Cannot, for the life of me, figure out why soft-reset doesn't work. ABXYLRStart doesn't work. ABXYLRStartDown doesn't work. Every combination of soft-reset keys don't work. It doesn't work on ANYTHING. = You are using 1.05 right? The correct combo is LRABDown.

denieru7

Trophies
XP
Country
Opera Browser doesn't work for me like it used to in YSmenu. I tried the EZ3in1 PLUS RAM compatibility cheat as well, and it still didn't work. It says the GBA ram pack is not inserted.

Also, does anyone know the file we need for moonshell 2's return to firmware RESETMSE folder?

EDIT: Never mind about the resetmse thing. I just de-encrypted the WoodR4 _DS_MENU.dat, renamed it to R4TF.nds and put it into the mnshl2/resetmse folder.

andPS2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got 2 crashes so far playing phoenix wright - trials and tribulations on wood
wondering how stable wood really is
when loading wood and then starting ysmenu as a .nds file is wood really completely
inactive? cause i got a crash on phoenix wright - and justice for all in this mode as well?

Sajon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
R4 Wood's v1.05
went i load any game it gets stuck on a white screen i have format it still not working what do i do i have done everthing right but still not working.

i have r4 revolution for DS(NDSL/NDS) and have a ds lite

White screens on start and some game get white screen then it gos to a blank screen and freezes i have use a fresh copy of pokemon diamond but still not work iv done everthing right but not working.

If you can help me send me a presonal message

Gundam Eclipse

True Demon Route
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
I am having problems with cheats.
I am trying to cheat in Strange Journey.
I managed to generate the cc file and all, but in game the cheats don't work!
This is what i did exactly:
(On strange journey icon)Pressed Y > X(For cheats) > Selected cheats(Mainly Infinite Money) > Generated
Am i missing something here?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uh_m4VgTY4