Wonder how regular DS games play on 3DS?

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
machomuu said:
AlanJohn said:
What if they can use the circle pad instaed of the touch screen like on most fps's on the ds?
What good FPS games are on the DS? Also, why would you want to use the circle pad for that?
I agree most of the FPS's on the ds suck but there are good 3rd person games like Super Mario 64 that use the touch screen as a joystick

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
AlanJohn said:
machomuu said:
AlanJohn said:
What if they can use the circle pad instaed of the touch screen like on most fps's on the ds?
What good FPS games are on the DS? Also, why would you want to use the circle pad for that?
I agree most of the FPS's on the ds suck but there are good 3rd person games like Super Mario 64 that use the touch screen as a joystick

No real general way to map the touch-screen to the circle pad because most games use it differently.

ilovengage

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why is it more comfortable to play with the analog stick when it doesn't work like on? I hate it when games use it like that and prefer the dpad for them ... (on gamecube for example)

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Traverse96 said:
This is great! The ability to use the circle pad is really going to be great, even if it's still digital, it should make moving around a lot easier. I'm going to test Super Mario 64 DS with the circle pad when the 3DS comes out, should make the game a lot easier.

The blurring is nice too. I always hated the blocky textures on the DS, with blurring, even if the texture quality is a little bit ruined, at least it won't look so blocky any more!
biggrin.gif
On the original DS SM64DS works fine. The DSlite's Dpad just sucked really badly.

Also the reason people would rather use the Analogue pad is purely to do with positioning in my opinion. Since the dpad is in the bottom left of the console it would feel weird to use and be uncomfortable after a while.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Actually I think this would make a big difference in Super Mario 64 because with the circle pad you should be more easily able to slightly move it compared to using a d-pad. In this game if you were able to press down very lightly on the d-pad Mario would move even slower. Circle pad is more precise and better suits this game. I don't think there will be a big difference in most games but you'll notice it in this one.

EDIT: My late post is late and points have been made, oh well.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:
Actually I think this would make a big difference in Super Mario 64 because with the circle pad you should be more easily able to slightly move it compared to using a d-pad. In this game if you were able to press down very lightly on the d-pad Mario would move even slower. Circle pad is more precise and better suits this game. I don't think there will be a big difference in most games but you'll notice it in this one.

I had made a point some months ago about DS games taking advantage of 3DS hardware, but that was based on the companies re-compiling their source code to 3DS specifications (just code, not data), with additions to the program, such as taking input from the touch-screen for precision movement and mapping it to the circle pad. The game card wouldn't be affected, but when it boots up, the 3DS executable code is loaded from the system's internal flash memory instead of from the game card.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:

That's impossible... Dpads are digital you cannot "press down lightly" on them. The buttons are either on or off, it can't tell how hard you are pressing it.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Traverse96 said:
This is great! The ability to use the circle pad is really going to be great, even if it's still digital, it should make moving around a lot easier. I'm going to test Super Mario 64 DS with the circle pad when the 3DS comes out, should make the game a lot easier.

The blurring is nice too. I always hated the blocky textures on the DS, with blurring, even if the texture quality is a little bit ruined, at least it won't look so blocky any more!
biggrin.gif
On the original DS SM64DS works fine. The DSlite's Dpad just sucked really badly.

Also the reason people would rather use the Analogue pad is purely to do with positioning in my opinion. Since the dpad is in the bottom left of the console it would feel weird to use and be uncomfortable after a while.
Another reason is because it will make it feel more like the original Super Mario 64.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/E1U7Nlt.mp4