Wonder how regular DS games play on 3DS?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably a huge relief for Super Mario 64 DS and the Kingdom Hearts games. Although I never found the D-Pad controls horrible.

Although hopefully it won't be like some of the PSX games on the PSP. I find the analog nub to be a bit oversensitive for like Crash Bandicoot and stuff. Usually stick to the D-Pad myself.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kudos on Nintendo for not repeating the problem of GBA screen space on the DS.

I imagine DS games will always look best on the DS, but for those people who will happily trade in their old systems this is great.

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yuan said:
- No multitasking or ingame features while in DS mode (you can stop to browse the internet or do other multimedia entertainment while playing 3DS games).

So, it will enter in a special mode when playing DS games... Like gba on ds/gc on wii. A good field for exploits
tongue.gif
(like on these old consoles).

Except...I'm pretty sure zero exploits came out of GC mode on wii, or GBA mode on NDS. They were locked down tight, no access to new hardware, and only way to get back was a hard reset of the console.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
tankplanes98 said:
The 3DS should automatically download and/or come with drivers that fix old DS game sto make them use the new hardware, stretch the screen to wide, and even play in 3d.Not happening, the ARM9 binary would need to be replaced.

QUOTE(Traverse96 @ Feb 6 2011, 04:25 PM) The blurring is nice too. I always hated the blocky textures on the DS, with blurring, even if the texture quality is a little bit ruined, at least it won't look so blocky any more!
biggrin.gif
It's full-screen filtering, not texture filtering (specifically).

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bertuga said:
Wonder if we can use DS wi-fi or wireless communication in the 3DS...
You mean local and online wireless/wifi on regular DS games? Yeah that should work. Heck, the fact that the download play trick worked for this neogaf guy is a good indication of it working.

Traversal

Soooo cool!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Traverse96 said:
The blurring is nice too. I always hated the blocky textures on the DS, with blurring, even if the texture quality is a little bit ruined, at least it won't look so blocky any more!
biggrin.gif
It's full-screen filtering, not texture filtering (specifically).

Hey, it's still filtering, so it'll still blur the textures, and hopefully it'll also blur some jagged polygons in some game too.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
jeklnoo said:
Yuan said:
- No multitasking or ingame features while in DS mode (you can stop to browse the internet or do other multimedia entertainment while playing 3DS games).

So, it will enter in a special mode when playing DS games... Like gba on ds/gc on wii. A good field for exploits
tongue.gif
(like on these old consoles).

Except...I'm pretty sure zero exploits came out of GC mode on wii, or GBA mode on NDS. They were locked down tight, no access to new hardware, and only way to get back was a hard reset of the console.

The wii keys were extracted through gc mode. I posted this on last page...

And the first gen ds flashcarts used SLOT 2, since SLOT 1 was encrypted.

EDIT: And DSi flashcards were made using DS legacy mode.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I would test if my flash card works on the 3DS test model in my local store, but since it's a Cyclo DS Evo and the 3DS is basically a highly upgraded DSi, I somehow doubt it'll work. That's the only reason I'm keeping my old DS when I get my 3DS. If I had legit games this wouldn't be a problem but if I trade in my DS Lite I also trade in the entire game library for it, essentially. Ah, piracy. Finally letting me down.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
I would test if my flash card works on the 3DS test model in my local store, but since it's a Cyclo DS Evo and the 3DS is basically a highly upgraded DSi, I somehow doubt it'll work. That's the only reason I'm keeping my old DS when I get my 3DS. If I had legit games this wouldn't be a problem but if I trade in my DS Lite I also trade in the entire game library for it, essentially. Ah, piracy. Finally letting me down.
Well just keep the flashcart for now and try it. While I don't condone piracy, I'm not gonna attack it either. Just keep your DSL and wait for news to come in from those with Japanese 3DS' to see if your Cyclo works. I doubt it will but you never know
smile.gif

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
its not too pad actually, almost everything was expected except analog for me... he should have slipped in a DSOne and see if it booted
i believe the issue with older games not working in wpa encrypted networks is going to happen too?
about the blurring... does it also include anti-aliasing (just popped up so it could be nothing)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Most likely games won't support WPA... or if they do, it'll be a small subset of them (those that use the "universal" ARM7 binary).

As for the blurring, since it's not doing a power of 2 it's likely to be interpolation, which is sort of like anti-aliasing, only a bit crappier. Still, it should just just fine considering the low resolution of DS games.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Too bad it's impossible to access the multitasking from within DS mode, but I guess that was to be expected. As for the Analog Slider Circle Thingy, great
biggrin.gif
Don't really care about the upscaling. Antialiasing-ish effect is also nice.

popoffka

Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
This article has lead me to the following thoughts:
I think that the 3DS OS may not actually support real multitasking. People familiar with Wii scene should know that, even though the "HOME menu" looks the same for all games on the Wii, it's code is not actually embedded in the OS, it's embedded in every piece of Wii software.
So, I guess that Nintendo may have used this approach once more to implement this "multitasking" thingy. They may have made developers add a copy of this "Home menu 2.0" to each application/game, so it's not actually multitasking. And that's the reason why DS games can't use this "Home menu 2.0".

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
popoffka said:
This article has lead me to the following thoughts:
I think that the 3DS OS may not actually support real multitasking. People familiar with Wii scene should know that, even though the "HOME menu" looks the same for all games on the Wii, it's code is not actually embedded in the OS, it's embedded in every piece of Wii software.
So, I guess that Nintendo may have used this approach once more to implement this "multitasking" thingy. They may have made developers add a copy of this "Home menu 2.0" to each application/game, so it's not actually multitasking. And that's the reason why DS games can't use this "Home menu 2.0".

Possible, but, for some reason I doubt it.
-----------------------------------------------

This is great news. I didn't actually expect to be able to play DS with the analog.. But this is good
laugh.gif

GO NINTENDOOOO!

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i think it's more likely they disable all 3DS-specific hardware aside from analog either to avoid accidental conflicts with the 3DS-only parts, or to avoid DS(i) hacks from cracking open the entire device.

and about DS/DSi flashcarts: DS-only flashcarts are pretty much guaranteed not to work.
they pretty much all work by injecting code into the system software as the DS is checking the inserted card's headers during boot.
since the memory lay-out on a DSi and 3DS are completely different(different system menu's) from a regular DS, the old ones won't work.
since DSi flashcarts work by imitating a legitimate game they are far more likely to work on a 3DS(possibly requiring only an update to the core/firmware to bypass the updated blacklist or whatever is done with DSi updates to block carts)

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
popoffka said:
I doubt that. This would mean there would be a full system menu on every game cartridge. This would not only wast a lot of space, but also be very hard to update. Having an outdated version of the system menu on most cartridges also would mean that if an exploit is found, it would be hard for Nintendo to fix it.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's too bad they couldn't make DS/DSi games do a kind of "Viewmaster" style of 3D on the 3DS. You know, where depths aren't accurate, but you can tell there is some kind of 3D effect going on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Every so often they only come around like once a year