Wonder how regular DS games play on 3DS?

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by granville, Feb 6, 2011.

Feb 6, 2011
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    [​IMG]
    With 3DS coming soon, and confirmed to be compatible with your old DS and DSi games as well as its own new library, many people were wondering how older games would play on the new system. The 3DS has a higher screen resolution for both top and bottom screens, so how they are displayed is a question for many. There was an event in Europe showing off the 3DS during the past few days. And at the event, a clever Neogaf forum member was able to test how DS games look and play on the 3DS by using his old DS in conjugation with the 3DS floor model's download play option. His impressions below. [/p]
    [​IMG] Source #1
    [​IMG] Source #2

2. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Well, that was fast. I was just about to post this.
    I'm not surprised at the lack of multitasking when playing DS games. Oh well. I'm glad that you can use the analog circle pad. Should make it more comfortable to play DS games. The 'blur effect' should make games look slightly better. It was clever of the GAF member to use the DS Download Play function of the 3DS to play the DS game. Heh.

3. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Nice. Games like Super Mario 64 are probably much easier to control (even with the fact it doesn't add more sensitive control).

4. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    - No multitasking or ingame features while in DS mode (you can stop to browse the internet or do other multimedia entertainment while playing 3DS games).

So, it will enter in a special mode when playing DS games... Like gba on ds/gc on wii. A good field for exploits [​IMG] (like on these old consoles).

5. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Woot @ Ability to use the Circle thing

6. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I figure it be like this,but I wasn't even thinking about circle pad with the old games sweet! [​IMG]

7. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    The analog will certainly help. Of course, games that aren't programmed to take advantage of analog controls won't benefit from more than 8 directions of movement or sensitivity. But the sheer comfort of the new option should help people. On various sites, i've seen a lot of users wondering whether they would be able to use the analog stick for old DS games. I didn't actually expect them to implement such an option. Smart move though, considering the comfort aspect and even (for some people) the lower placement of the dpad.

I was impressed as well by the resourcefulness of Nuclear Muffin. He was clever to think of the download play button there, so kudos to him. *hatsoff*

8. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Now I just need my Supercard DStwo to work, and I finally have a reason to sell my DSI.

9. JinTrigger

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    The only con is no ingame options but I figured that much

10. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Rather obvious answers but it's good to have them confirmed like being able to use the circle pad, I would hate Ninty if you couldn't.
    You shouldn't use the red 3DS with the painted analog pad, it could lead to future confusion.

11. Guzzie

Newcomer Guzzie Advanced Member

Antarctica
    I would think that this is not a benefit. It sounds like the system is sandboxed when in DS mode, which means that this will be more like gamecube mode on wii than gba mode on DS. IE. No real beneficial hax will come from it because the clock speed is limited and other ports are shut off.

12. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I expected as much with restricted analog control for DS games, considering it is in the position where the DS D-Pad would be. Lack of multi-tasking seemed like a given also. How DS games were displayed was the one question I had about DS playback on the 3DS, and I'm glad by the answer.

13. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Well, if you remember wii scene, wii keys were extracted thanks to gc mode. And retro slot on DS allowed slot-2 flashcarts to work, when slot1 was encrypted.

14. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    Awesome that we can use the circle pad. I've found on wii emulators even if the game is only programmed to use the d-pad, it's still easier to control with the stick if it's a game that needs fine control (like say, marble madness on genesis). Should be more comfortable all around as well.

15. tankplanes98

Newcomer tankplanes98 Member

United States
    The 3DS should automatically download and/or come with drivers that fix old DS game sto make them use the new hardware, stretch the screen to wide, and even play in 3d.

16. Fluto

Member Fluto A potato in disguise

Australia
    [​IMG]
    F... Yeah
    Now i can play recoded with the circle pad

17. Walrus-Chan

Member Walrus-Chan Advanced Member

United States

If the top screen was stretched to widescreen for old DS games it would look really bad.
    The game code for each game would prolly have to be edited to achieve this :/

18. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, I completely agree. It's my new favorite DS-mode feature.

19. Traversal

Member Traversal SASUKE-KUUUUUN~~~

United States
    This is great! The ability to use the circle pad is really going to be great, even if it's still digital, it should make moving around a lot easier. I'm going to test Super Mario 64 DS with the circle pad when the 3DS comes out, should make the game a lot easier.

The blurring is nice too. I always hated the blocky textures on the DS, with blurring, even if the texture quality is a little bit ruined, at least it won't look so blocky any more! [​IMG]

20. ShadowNeko003

Member ShadowNeko003 ~Nyah~

United States
    Sold on the analog pad! Much easier to play action rgps