• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Woman fired after video goes viral - people say it was racist, but is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Song of storms

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
https://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-fired-video-shows-blocking-black-man-entering/story?id=58506023

A white woman in St. Louis was fired after videos went viral of her trying to block a black man from entering his own apartment building on Saturday.

If you see the video, all she did was asking the person to show that he has the key to enter. He, instead, pulled out his phone and started recording her, telling her that he doesn't have to show anything. This is true, but where is the racism?

Those who live in a condo know exactly what kind of people enter in and it has nothing to do with race. Some people are so fed up with these people that they have no problems calling people out who don't enter from the main door by using their key, but by waiting for someone to open it. I have watched the video multiple times and I can't see, or hear, anything remotely racist from this woman. And now she's fired, because "guilty until proven innocent". Good job.

What do you think?

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
IMHO, everyone is at fault here. The woman does not seem to be authorized to be a guard there (she didn't wear a guard suit). The black man said that its racist, from the video we can know that the woman only wanted to see his ID to authorize his entry, nothing racist IMO. Also, damned be her husband lol for shaming her wife (even if they have lived separately).

This would fare better if she wore a guard suit or even an ID, this would fare better.

Toles says this isn't a time for negativity and asked people to send the woman "positive waves of energy."
Oh the irony, then why did you publish that video in the first place and calling her racist, Toles?

Additionally, we haven't heard her side of the story. I wouldn't believe what the news wrote. The news is inconclusive without her side of the story.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hard to prove for sure that her motivations were racist, but either way she should be fired for her stupidity. Anybody is going to be pissed if you try to deny them access to their own home, and with good reason. Especially if it's a woman with the "I want to speak to your manager" look denying you.

Last edited by Xzi,

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
She is not a cop. She is not the building owner. So she had no right to ask anyone anything like that. And let's face it. She probably asked him cause he's black. We can't be certain of course. But it's likely.

Edit she called the police after seeing him enter an apartment with the key. How dumb is she?

Last edited by dimmidice,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If she was just afraid that was not being racist, but she seemed to have that "I got you now" type of gastopo issue some people have, I think she maybe deserves the criticism only because if she was afraid, she should have just went in her apartment, locked the door, and called the police. Now does she deserve to lose her job, eh, not really, people make mistakes, and we don't need to destroy their lives over it, I'm sure the criticism was more then enough.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
She is not a cop. She is not the building owner. So she had no right to ask anyone anything like that. And let's face it. She probably asked him cause he's black. We can't be certain of course. But it's likely.
Yeah just from the video footage this looks like a fairly affluent condo complex, so she was likely assuming the black guy couldn't possibly be rich enough to be living there. Again, hard to prove motivations 100%, but I'm guessing he's probably the only person she's done that to, and/or the only black person that lives there. She should've just given up after asking him a couple times, or called the cops in the first place if she suspected he was a "problem."

Last edited by Xzi,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do not put your hands on a stranger, and you do not stalk them to their door. She's lucky he didn't knock her out. Of course, in today's society, he'd have been thrown in prison if he did so because he's a man and she's a woman.

Reactions: Gameboy Color

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are you for real? Nothing racist here? She only wanted to see his key?

I can just see you asking for his head if these roles had been reversed.

She has literally no authority to stop anyone from entering a building or demanding to see a key and this kind of bullshit is happening all across the country.
She's clearly not been standing there all day demanding to see everyones keys, she's obviously, as is normal for these situations, singled out the black guy. And she continues to harrass him all the way up the fourth floor?

Even in the best case, her distrust is obviously based entirely on that mans skin color.

And just like those freaks calling the cops on 9 year old black children, she deserves every bit of social ousting she got for it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You do not put your hands on a stranger, and you do not stalk them to their door. She's lucky he didn't knock her out. Of course, in today's society, he'd have been thrown in prison if he did so because he's a man and she's a woman.
no, because you don't knock someone out just for touching you...

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

Song of storms

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

She has literally no authority to stop anyone from entering a building or demanding to see a key and this kind of bullshit is happening all across the country.
She's clearly not been standing there all day demanding to see everyones keys, she's obviously, as is normal, singled out the black guy. And she continues to harrass him all the way up the fourth floor?

Even in the best case, her distrust is obviously based entirely on that mans skin color.

And just like those freaks calling the cops on 9 year old black children, she deserves every bit of social ousting she got for it.

What she did was wrong but the reasonings are far from racist. If you live in a condo, it's certain that you will see paranoid people that question those who enter without using a key. Had the guy been white, people would have dismissed the woman as "crazy" and that's it. But because of hurr racism, another live was ruined.

Song of storms

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hard to prove for sure that her motivations were racist, but either way she should be fired for her stupidity. Anybody is going to be pissed if you try to deny them access to their own home, and with good reason. Especially if it's a woman with the "I want to speak to your manager" look denying you.
I lived in a condo for years before moving out and you would be surprised at the amount of non-residents entering the building to "snoop around". When I visited a friend living in another condo I was questioned a couple of times when I would enter without a key, and I'm white.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What she did was wrong but the reasonings are far from racist. If you live in a condo, it's certain that you will see paranoid people that question those who enter without using a key. Had the guy been white, people would have dismissed the woman as "crazy" and that's it. But because of hurr racism, another live was ruined.

1. if he was white, she wouldn't have questioned him at all.
2. if she was so paranoid, why did she leave her non authorized post to follow and harass this man? countless people could have entered the building at that time
3. What do you mean enter without using a key? He entered without showing some stranger his key as he had every right to do so. You're trying to make the story fit your idiot notion of 'no way was there any racism involved'
4. of course, had the guy been white, no one would even assume racism. and no one would have if she was at all known for demanding to see peoples keys all the time. but she didn't and she isn't.
EDIT 5. also, life destroyed? She lost a fucking job. Or did I miss her being shot 9 times in the back or tasered multiple times to the heart till she died, despite being unarmed having done nothing wrong. That's lives being destroyed. Not reaping what you sow.

I lived in a condo for years before moving out and you would be surprised at the amount of non-residents entering the building to "snoop around". When I visited a friend living in another condo I was questioned a couple of times when I would enter without a key, and I'm white.
I'm sure you were, hundreds, if not thousands of times. How utterly convenient.
And even if so, doesn't at all give anyone any more right to demand to see a key from anyone.
And I'm sure, when you visited 'your friends condo', if you could not produce a key, you were also reported to the police and harassed all the way to his door, right?

Reactions: dimmidice

Song of storms

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
1. if he was white, she wouldn't have questioned him at all.
2. if she was so paranoid, why did she leave her non authorized post to follow and harass this man? countless people could have entered the building at that time
3. What do you mean enter without using a key? He entered without showing some stranger his key as he had every right to do so. You're trying to make the story fit your idiot notion of 'no way was there any racism involved'
4. of course, had the guy been white, no one would even assume racism. and no one would have if she was at all known for demanding to see peoples keys all the time. but she didn't and she isn't.

I'm sure you were, hundreds, if not thousands of times. How utterly convenient.
And even if so, doesn't at all give anyone any more right to demand to see a key from anyone.
And I'm sure, when you visited 'your friends condo', if you could not produce a key, you were also reported to the police and harassed all the way to his door, right?
I guess you would like to live in a society where people are guilty until proven innocent. Some parts of south america are like that, so move and have fun.

And no, I never had any trouble because I understood why someone would be suspicious of a stranger entering a building without a key, so I explained myself instead of pulling my phone out and acting like a jackass.

PanTheFaun

The Uninspired Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

She's clearly not been standing there all day demanding to see everyones keys, she's obviously, as is normal for these situations, singled out the black guy. And she continues to harrass him all the way up the fourth floor?

Asking someone to show a key is not racist. Give it up. I agree with you that she had no right to stop someone or ask someone for a key but that is not racism. You don't think you sound racist for saying she is only singling him out because he is black? Why? Because she is white?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This seems very racially motivated. She had no reason, nor authority to ask him key nor did she have any reason to suspect him for breaking and entering. The only reason I can think of would be based on his race.
Asking someone to show a key is not racist. Give it up. I agree with you that she had no right to stop someone or ask someone for a key but that is not racism. You don't think you sound racist for saying she is only singling him out because he is black? Why? Because she is white?
And why would she need to question him in the first place? She had no logical reason to question him being there.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What a surprise, the white nationalist supporter and/or also likely racist coming to defend another racist.
I already explained myself, literally right there, so read instead of making up shitty strawmen.
I guess you would like to live in a society where people are guilty until proven innocent. Some parts of south america are like that, so move and have fun.

And no, I never had any trouble because I understood why someone would be suspicious of a stranger entering a building without a key, so I explained myself instead of pulling my phone out and acting like a jackass.

And you honestly believe, even if he was just there to visit and didn't actually have a key, that she accepted his 'explaining himself'? Just like all the other racists accept explanations from black people?
Just like cops accept black people literally in tears explaining that they will now slowly reach for their wallet and to please not to shoot them before they're being shot by some 'scared' cop?

PanTheFaun

The Uninspired Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems very racially motivated. She had no reason, nor authority to ask him key nor did she have any reason to suspect him for breaking and entering. The only reason I can think of would be based on his race.

And why would she need to question him in the first place? She had no logical reason to question him being there.
I'm assuming she stopped him because she never seen him before and he may have looked suspicious.

*modsnip*

Last edited by DinohScene,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm assuming she stopped him because she never seen him before and he may have looked suspicious.

*modsnip*
Ok? She couldn't just introduce herself to him and have a normal conversation like a normal person?
Also nice goal post move

Last edited by DinohScene,
Reactions: Xzi and PanTheFaun

PanTheFaun

The Uninspired Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok? She couldn't just introduce herself to him and have a normal conversation like a normal person?
Also nice goal post move
That's your opinion and I'm sure she would of questioned anybody that looked suspicious.

She could have introduced herself but she didn't. She can do what she wants.

Thanks man. c:

Last edited by PanTheFaun,

Song of storms

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I literally wrote in the OP that's not that uncommon for people living in condos to be suspicious of any strangers, no matter the race. He waited for someone to open the door to enter and that is seen as a red flag by many people. Did she go over the line? Yes. Was it racist? No. Did she deserve to lose her job over this? Absolutely not.

Song of storms

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What a surprise, the white nationalist supporter and/or also likely racist coming to defend another racist.
I already explained myself, literally right there, so read instead of making up shitty strawmen.

And you honestly believe, even if he was just there to visit and didn't actually have a key, that she accepted his 'explaining himself'? Just like all the other racists accept explanations from black people?
Just like cops accept black people literally in tears explaining that they will now slowly reach for their wallet and to please not to shoot them before they're being shot by some 'scared' cop?
Boy you've done a ton of "what if" without giving any proof. Seems to be a recurring theme in this forum. Again, go live in a third world country if you would like to live in a society where you're guilty until proven innocent.

Reactions: Deleted User

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Her name is Brooke Mueller, and she is estranged from her husband Brandon Mueller who is black (half) also. He issued this statement in a Facebook video earlier.

Quoted from ABC News-

“As a man of color I have spent most of my professional career teaching others the importance of diversity and inclusion,” Mueller said. He hopes that the community will “not allow others ignorance to incite anger and hatred, but to use it as an opportunity to learn, grow, and promote love.”

Source-https://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-fired-video-shows-blocking-black-man-entering/story?id=58506023

Brandons FB page-https://www.facebook.com/bnmueller02?eid=ARCc68ilq38V1B5UPlK8BqwD416859uf34bBKOhyD2yxWddshlcN9JZyXPHLLdkl4rkgmgy71VrMFbDN

Reactions: The Catboy and Xzi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol Syl