ROM Hack [WIP] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns - True Love Edition Patch

NicheGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup those ellipses are normal because the Msg.xbb file from the patch contains all the edited dialogue, when you remove it the edited dialogue just won't show up in events.

Can you try using the regular Msg.xbb file, but not the confession file? I checked through the Msg.xbb file and it doesn't look like I messed anything up while editing it. I'm thinking that the ConfessionCommon is definitely what's wrong.

The regular Msg.xbb? Which one is that?

NicheGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There event file was only in v3.0, try not using that one, but using the Msg.xbb file.

Bad news, and I wish I didn't have to report this. But I got a crash with the Event file removed, after triggering Ford's dark blue event and talking to Lisette. I'll try triggering another flower event to see if it's just related to Ford.

Update: Actually, acting on a hunch I went and triggered his event again, then repeated exactly what I'd done after the event concluded-- I opened Miranda's shop menu, exited, talked to Miranda behind the counter, went to the flower shop, opened the shop's menu, exited, talked to Lisette-- and boom, crashed at exactly the same place.

Last edited by NicheGamer,

Silrae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bad news, and I wish I didn't have to report this. But I got a crash with the Event file removed, after triggering Ford's dark blue event and talking to Lisette. I'll try triggering another flower event to see if it's just related to Ford.
Well, shit. There goes that. Hmm, okay, it still could be the Msg.xbb file, or it really could be a file from v2.0. The thing with this game's overworld dialogue, is that it's randomly generated. So, that's probably why it's so difficult to find a constant with the crashes. That, or it's a file from v3.0 and for whatever reason it's causing crashes to occur with overworld encounters.

It's hard to test what's the cause when I can't figure out how to make the crash happen repeatedly in the first place. I'm going to try playing the game with v2.0's files taken out and see if I still get crashes or not. Do you mind renaming the "Event" folder in the "Script" folder to something like "Event-"? You won't be able to see the edited events, but t'll help me narrow down where the crashes are coming from, whether or not you do find a crash.

Edit: Oh! I didn't see your edit when I was writing this. I'm going to try doing what you did to see if I can activate a crash, if I can that'll help testing a whooole bunch.

Last edited by Silrae,
Reactions: NicheGamer

NicheGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, shit. There goes that. Hmm, okay, it still could be the Msg.xbb file, or it really could be a file from v2.0. The thing with this game's overworld dialogue, is that it's randomly generated. So, that's probably why it's so difficult to find a constant with the crashes. That, or it's a file from v3.0 and for whatever reason it's causing crashes to occur with overworld encounters.

It's hard to test what's the cause when I can't figure out how to make the crash happen repeatedly in the first place. I'm going to try playing the game with v2.0's files taken out and see if I still get crashes or not. Do you mind renaming the "Event" folder in the "Script" folder to something like "Event-"? You won't be able to see the edited events, but t'll help me narrow down where the crashes are coming from, whether or not you do find a crash.

No problem. Another quick update: Was giving Ford's event another test, accidentally opened the buy menu for Miranda's shop instead of exiting out of the list-- and upon talking to her, the game crashed. Was able to reproduce this exactly a second time, so whatever I'm doing is working to proc the crash-- question is, what does talking to shopkeepers have to do with the patch?! XD

Edit: That was before renaming the Events folder, I'm testing that out right now!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Another update: With the "Event" folder renamed to "Event-", I was able to see Fords unedited flower event, access both Miranda and Lisette's shop menus and then talk to them without the game crashing. I'll talk to other character shopkeeps, see if it stays that way, then change the Event folder's name back and test them again to be thorough.

ANOTHER update: Damn, just got another crash on the french shopkeeper down on the lower level of Westown-- serves me right for speaking too soon.

Silrae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another update: With the "Event" folder renamed to "Event-", I was able to see Fords unedited flower event, access both Miranda and Lisette's shop menus and then talk to them without the game crashing. I'll talk to other character shopkeeps, see if it stays that way, then change the Event folder's name back and test them again to be thorough.

ANOTHER update: Damn, just got another crash on the french shopkeeper down on the lower level of Westown-- serves me right for speaking too soon.

That's actually good! That means the events aren't the cause of the crashes. That just leaves the Msg.xbb file and v2.0's files. I'm testing v2.0's files right now, I'll update on the results in a little bit.

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Good job! Developers should make this kind of games with Same-Sex Marriage option :)

Yes but there are Christian parents who don't want this for their
children because they consider it to be ''blasphemic'' (would be
interesting to investigate the origins of this word and, obviously,
this damages Nintendo's market. The thing is, (not all of them)
christians tend to overlook things. For example, they see this one
kid announced he was planning a shooting on Hispachan
(4Chan but hispanic) (this actually happened where I live) and
they see the entire internet as that. They're insane.

Silrae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Anyways.

I'm not able to replicate the crash, I don't know why, but I can't do it with or without v2.0's files. @NicheGamer you went to Miranda's shop, opened the buy menu, exited out, and then talked to her to crash the game right?

Reactions: Girafarig

NicheGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Anyways.

I'm not able to replicate the crash, I don't know why, but I can't do it with or without v2.0's files. @NicheGamer you went to Miranda's shop, opened the buy menu, exited out, and then talked to her to crash the game right?

Yup, this was with the Event file removed. It was the proper buy menu, not the list of options prior to it. I can try to recreate the crash again, see if it wasn't just freak luck?

Silrae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, this was with the Event file removed. It was the proper buy menu, not the list of options prior to it. I can try to recreate the crash again, see if it wasn't just freak luck?
Yeah, I'm not having any luck getting it to crash. I find it hilarious that only now when I'm trying to get my game to crash, it doesn't do it. I've had the shopkeepers crash my game before, so I guess it really is just random. Yaaaay...

NicheGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm not having any luck getting it to crash. I find it hilarious that only now when I'm trying to get my game to crash, it doesn't do it. I've had the shopkeepers crash my game before, so I guess it really is just random. Yaaaay...

I'm sorry ;_; I'll see if it crashes when opening other shop menus, then I'll move onto another character's flower events. I was thinking it might be Ford related since you edited the dialogue quite a bit, and even kind of the way the event played? Since Ford has the 'all will be well' dialogue before holding the player's hand with the patch as opposed to after it.

Update: Got it to crash exactly the same way with Miranda again.

Silrae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: Got it to crash exactly the same way with Miranda again.
:/ This game is taunting me.

Okay, then do you mind changing the "Talk" folder to "Talk-", and testing that out for me? I hate to keep asking you to do this, but you know how to make your game crash better than I do lol

NicheGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:/ This game is taunting me.

Okay, then do you mind changing the "Talk" folder to "Talk-", and testing that out for me? I hate to keep asking you to do this, but you know how to make your game crash better than I do lol

I don't mind at all! I'm glad that I'm able to help in this small way. If there's anything else you want me to try, just say the word.

Edit: Crashed on the Miranda test with the "Talk" folder renamed. I can only imagine how fed up you must be getting. Is there anything else you want me to try?

Reactions: Silrae

Silrae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: Crashed on the Miranda test with the "Talk" folder renamed. I can only imagine how fed up you must be getting. Is there anything else you want me to try?
Ok, wow... I've got two ideas left, I guess? It could be the lengthened dialogue box in the layouts folder, or it could be the Msg.xbb file? Everything else has been around since the first update without any problems or changes. If getting rid of either of those doesnt work, then I have no clue what's going on :/

NicheGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, wow... I've got two ideas left, I guess? It could be the lengthened dialogue box in the layouts folder, or it could be the Msg.xbb file? Everything else has been around since the first update without any problems or changes. If getting rid of either of those doesnt work, then I have no clue what's going on :/

Since the Msg.xbb is the meat of the patch, I'll rename the Layouts folder and test that out first. I was wondering why the dialogue boxes looked off to me, I didn't realize that you'd lengthened them.

Update: More bad news that you're probably not going to like: Renamed the layouts folder, got the Miranda crash. Deleted Msg.xbb.... no crash.

NicheGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the Msg.xbb is the meat of the patch, I'll rename the Layouts folder and test that out first. I was wondering why the dialogue boxes looked off to me, I didn't realize that you'd lengthened them.

Update: More bad news that you're probably not going to like: Renamed the layouts folder, got the Miranda crash. Deleted Msg.xbb.... no crash.

Another update: Redid Ford's event again and tried Lisette and her shop out-- still no crash. Both fortunately and unfortunately, it seems like Msg.xbb is the culprit. >_<

Silrae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another update: Redid Ford's event again and tried Lisette and her shop out-- still no crash. Both fortunately and unfortunately, it seems like Msg.xbb is the culprit. >_<
Well, that's a pretty big problem because the Msg.xbb file is fine in terms of its contents. Its pointers are all in the right place, and everything is working as it should, so the only thing I can think of that's causing this is that the file's too long. And I can't really do anything about that, without cutting dialogue out of the hack.

I think I'm going to have to figure out some solution tomorrow, it's getting late and I have an early shift. Thanks so much for all your help, though! Hopefully I'll be able to fix the Msg.xbb without losing too many essentials.

NicheGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's a pretty big problem because the Msg.xbb file is fine in terms of its contents. Its pointers are all in the right place, and everything is working as it should, so the only thing I can think of that's causing this is that the file's too long. And I can't really do anything about that, without cutting dialogue out of the hack.

I think I'm going to have to figure out some solution tomorrow, it's getting late and I have an early shift. Thanks so much for all your help, though! Hopefully I'll be able to fix the Msg.xbb without losing too many essentials.

No problem! If you need help testing any potential fixes don't hesitate to give me a shout. I hope you have a pleasant rest of the night despite all this frustration!

Reactions: Silrae

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.