Homebrew [WIP] List of known bricks due to an attempt to downgrade to 9.2.

sopopofo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So I ended up with a brick using the old sysupdater, N3DS EUR, version 9.5.0-22e, used browserhax.
I checked the MD5 checksums after I downloaded the .cia -files
Also checked checksums of each file after copying them to the SD-card. The last thing that was seen on my N3DS:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5228786/brik.png
After that, blank top screen, lower screen showed that something went wrong.

Stubborn me got a new N3DS
This time it came with 9.6.something EUR firmware (Didn't really pay that much attention when checking it).
Tried downgrading again, this time with the newer sysupdater.
It crashed, again.
Noticed the crash happened during the same CIA-file, which was 0004003000009802.cia

Got to recovery mode thanks to the newer sysupdater, and updated from nintendo servers, so I got the console working again.

The checksums on the 0004003000009802.cia-file matched between the SD-card and the one on my HD. Also downloaded the CIA-files from multiple locations, so it couldn't be a download error either.

I wondered what on earth could have gone wrong.
I had used the original SD-cards to store the update files (both of them, so it can't be one broken SD-card causing it).

I remembered that I have one bigger & faster SD-card, so I prepared it with the same files as the previous cards.

And it worked, successful downgrade, and successful rxtools install with the https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...ncluding-emunand-coldboot-cia-manager.405589/ -tutorial

So in my case with an european N3DS, all it really took was grabbing a better SD-card.

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Add me to the list. Bricked my New 3DS XL (Hyrule Gold edition) trying to downgrade from the latest firmware. Installed the CIA's from the Old 3DS instead of new (derp!). Thankfully, I'm still under warranty; already have my repair set up with Nintendo and will be shipping my console out tomorrow morning. I'm sticking with the "my console won't go past a black screen after updating" excuse. I'm not sure they'll be able to figure out how I bricked since I deleted all of the relevant files off my SD card (yes, you are REQUIRED to send in your SD card when you send your console to Nintendo). If they do manage to get my console to boot into the HOME menu, they'll be greeted with all of the games I legitimately bought.

I know hindsight is always 20/20, but it would be a lot better if the zip files that contain the update CIA's said (OLD) or (NEW) somewhere in the filename. Yes, it was my fault for not being careful in the first place, but I figure this could help some people out. It's exactly what threw me off.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I was using MenuHax as my entrypoint, and that sysUpdate ran through completely fine.

Last edited by NumberXIIIEdwin,

SpongeFreak52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy cow, you people need to double-check things before doing something like this. How many people is that now that have flat-out used the wrong model firmware?

If it came on a version over 9.2 I'm not sure if it's safe.
It's fine, I downgraded my HHD N3DS and it shipped with a higher firmware than 9.2.

Reactions: Ridge

Katlanie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Add me to the list. Bricked my New 3DS XL (Hyrule Gold edition) trying to downgrade from the latest firmware. Installed the CIA's from the Old 3DS instead of new (derp!). Thankfully, I'm still under warranty; already have my repair set up with Nintendo and will be shipping my console out tomorrow morning. I'm sticking with the "my console won't go past a black screen after updating" excuse. I'm not sure they'll be able to figure out how I bricked since I deleted all of the relevant files off my SD card (yes, you are REQUIRED to send in your SD card when you send your console to Nintendo). If they do manage to get my console to boot into the HOME menu, they'll be greeted with all of the games I legitimately bought.

I know hindsight is always 20/20, but it would be a lot better if the zip files that contain the update CIA's said (OLD) or (NEW) somewhere in the filename. Yes, it was my fault for not being careful in the first place, but I figure this could help some people out. It's exactly what threw me off.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I was using MenuHax as my entrypoint, and that sysUpdate ran through completely fine.

You better hope you have a tech who doesn't care what he finds to unbrick it especially since you used old 3ds files on the new model. But most likely from the nintendo forums they will just send a refurbished console to you to replace it. I heard for the older models they actually sent people a plain one if they didn't have a limited edition one in stock. And then you have to hope that the 10.4 update don't get released before they try to send you the replacement as it will surely be updated by then.

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You better hope you have a tech who doesn't care what he finds to unbrick it especially since you used old 3ds files on the new model. But most likely from the nintendo forums they will just send a refurbished console to you to replace it. I heard for the older models they actually sent people a plain one if they didn't have a limited edition one in stock. And then you have to hope that the 10.4 update don't get released before they try to send you the replacement as it will surely be updated by then.
Well, I'll just deny, deny, deny. I'm not too worried about getting a console on 10.4 anyway. I can live without hacking my 3DS.

Last edited by NumberXIIIEdwin,
Reactions: Harvest God

hirvimies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

Where did you download your zip? The ones I've downloaded, following the big guide here on gbatemp, has "_n3ds" in the filename.

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ha, you must think Nintendo is pretty stupid.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To anyone who cannot access recovery menu in their brick: Can you try leaving your bricked 3DS on in sleep mode with wifi on? I remember hearing someone say they mysteriously downloaded the update sliently and it suddenly let them enter recovery menu again. I don't know if this is true or not, but it's worth a shot.

sopopofo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
To anyone who cannot access recovery menu in their brick: Can you try leaving your bricked 3DS on in sleep mode with wifi on? I remember hearing someone say they mysteriously downloaded the update sliently and it suddenly let them enter recovery menu again. I don't know if this is true or not, but it's worth a shot.
Only the blue light lights up if I try to power up my brick. Nothing more, nothing less.

So I'd say no WiFi, no means to enable it, and no means to get as far as the sleep mode.

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, but considering that there isn't anything else I can do I'm willing to roll the dice and see what happens.

That actually makes a lot of sense :) Good luck and let us know how it works out with them.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bricked my N3DS dunno how but i did.

sucky. you sure you didn't accidentally install o3ds firmware? That's been the most common way people brick the n3ds

D

Deleted User

Ha, you must think Nintendo is pretty stupid.
Well, in most Nintendo repairs, they send it to a third party company, usually in the states its United Radio. A quick google search will bring you some unfavorable reviews, but last time I sent them a bricked 2DS a few months ago they replaced it for free no questions asked. I sent them my sysUpdater bricked one two weeks ago and my replacement should be here in a few days according to the tracking number they gave me.

EDIT: It was under warranty by the way

Last edited by ,

azerti1304

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if its a brick. But I got the same error when I want to come on eshop and id network . " boot 3ds ,try again, or contact Nintendo" code

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if its a brick. But I got the same error when I want to come on eshop and id network . " boot 3ds ,try again, or contact Nintendo" code

it's not a hard brick as can the thing to boot, it's not a soft brick as you can access some of the functionality. I could be jacked up however with incorrectly installed CIA titles for the applications that are breaking and causing the error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: don't get me wrong, it's just a cheat plugin, but one for a game I want to absolutely destroy