Homebrew [WIP] Frappuccino CFW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
Forking a project which has only been out officially for less than a few days isn't exactly the best way to have a well supported custom firmware (which, as stated in the post, is one of your goals). At least give the original project creator some justice by attempting to contribute back before forking it to a different name, stripping his name off and making it a footnote. Also separate planned features from actual features, it's really misleading.
More importantly, where are you people (team SALT) any plans for an update?

Reactions: adamnewy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Much to my dismay, Shiny has a point - a pull request would probably have been better suited to this type of improvment. Is there really a reason to keep this seperate to mainline Mocha?
Yes, because why not?
It's open source and the CFW community can always go for more projects and more options. That's why we are a homebrew community and why we always need more homebrews.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More importantly, where are you people (team SALT) any plans for an update?
All of my homebrew utilities have been pushed to Github, everyone else has largely fallen out of interest or has been busy unfortunately. My work was largely homebrew-related, getting WUT functional and doing homebrew installation stuff.

Yes, because why not?
It's open source and the CFW community can always go for more projects and more options. That's why we are a homebrew community and why we always need more homebrews.
Eh, there hasn't been hardly any notable Wii U homebrew recently. There's some small games here and there which are great, but a lot of it lately has been dumpers, launchers and emulators. Forks are helpful when the original developer has lots time/interest, but when the project is only a few days old it's really better to contribute to the original. It's a courtesy thing, not a "why not?" thing. And, this is just me, but I think the community really needs a more easy and well documented custom firmware, not one that is more complex.

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, because why not?

That's not an issue, the issue everybody's having with this "cfw" is that most of it's features are already implemented in mocha cfw,and they were oddly listed under frappucino's features instead of mocha (?) as far as I have seen OP hasn't brought anything new to the table to give it a separate name.

Reactions: brienj

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's not an issue, the issue everybody's having with this "cfw" is that most of it's features are already implemented in mocha cfw,and they were oddly listed under frappucino's features instead of mocha (?) as far as I have seen OP hasn't brought anything new to the table to give it a separate name.
All of my homebrew utilities have been pushed to Github, everyone else has largely fallen out of interest or has been busy unfortunately. My work was largely homebrew-related, getting WUT functional and doing homebrew installation stuff.

Eh, there hasn't been hardly any notable Wii U homebrew recently. There's some small games here and there which are great, but a lot of it lately has been dumpers, launchers and emulators. Forks are helpful when the original developer has lots time/interest, but when the project is only a few days old it's really better to contribute to the original. It's a courtesy thing, not a "why not?" thing. And, this is just me, but I think the community really needs a more easy and well documented custom firmware, not one that is more complex.
I like to sit and wait to see how things go for a project. Remember, Luma3DS started out as a fork from reiNAND that only changed a few things.

Also why list the same features twice? If it has the same features as the parent project, then there's no reason to list what's already the same. It's only worth listing what's been changed/different features.

Reactions: KiiWii

icw35

Trophies
XP
Country
Surely "Frappucciino" should be the name anyway, not just some word "frappuccino" spelt incorrectly? Or does it have some other significance?

I see you did spell it frappuccino in the thread but the heading is frappaccino.

Last edited by icw35,

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
I like to sit and wait to see how things go for a project. Remember, Luma3DS started out as a fork from reiNAND that only changed a few things.

Also why list the same features twice? If it has the same features as the parent project, then there's no reason to list what's already the same. It's only worth listing what's been changed/different features.
Exactly, they should have been listed under mocha's feature as well not create a misconception that these features are new & do no exist in the original project.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Exactly, they should have been listed under mocha's feature as well not create a misconception that these features are new & do no exist in the original project.
Oh, I see what you are talking about now. Yeah, that is kind of off.

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
Including your package installer? And see, that's one of the reasons everyone used to beg you to go open source..

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
the CFW community can always go for more projects and more options.

That's the assumption I'm unsure about - I don't see the benefit of having two options where one simply has more stuff. Why not just have one CFW that does all the user needs it to?
I could understand splitting a project like this when the two forks have different goals, moral incompatibilities, conflicting features or whatever. In this case, however, we simply have an improvment over the original. Why not merge them? No feature is lost, no option is made unavailable, and we get developers working on a common project toward a common goal. I really don't see why you'd kerp it seperate.

Reactions: brienj

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's the assumption I'm unsure about - I don't see the benefit of having two options where one simply has more stuff. Why not just have one CFW that does all the user needs it to?
I could understand splitting a project like this when the two forks have different goals, moral incompatibilities, conflicting features or whatever. In this case, however, we simply have an improvment over the original. Why not merge them? No feature is lost, no option is made unavailable, and we get developers working on a common project toward a common goal. I really don't see why you'd kerp it seperate.
Because why just have one project? The same argument was made the 3DS CFW community and look how toxic that turned out to be.
As well there's no reason to just have one project, one glove does not fit all. People have different ideas and want to make different projects. Maybe this one will split into a completely different direction and appeal to a completely different crowd.
Again, look at how great Luma3DS turned out. It was a very basic fork from ReiNAND that removed a few features and added old3DS support, but was just ReiNAND overall. Over time it forked off into something completely different. I would like to stress that Luma3DS started out as a very basic fork with no real goal other than ReiNAND on the old3DS.
Of course after Luma3DS became the dominate CFW, everyone argued, "Why make more projects?" Which turned the CFW scene into a toxic mess where devs no longer want to deal with our site.
What I am trying to get at is, learn from the 3DS community. Don't turn Mocha into Luma, we don't need more toxic pits on this site.

itxaka

Trophies
XP
Country
You have relicensed a GPL2 code into GPL3. You cant do that, plain and simple because you dont own the code you are forking. The copyright of that code is from dimok (and whoever contributed to the repo) so the GPL2 protection kicks in and prevents YOU from relicensing it unless you have obtained permission for the original autor or they have decline any rights to the code.

Please set it back to GPL2 asap. Stop misusing open source licenses.

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
OP
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
The GitHub diff is the author accidentally including their build/ folder in a commit, adding some binaries related to IOS_BSP, and messing with the menu a bit. I guess they're still getting started.
Getting started, yes, amateur would be a no. This is still being worked on, the feature list is only plans, not final.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I mean, who can really doubt the legitimacy of their work when they made this masterpiece?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-scripts-proof.370643/
Omg, that bullshit. That's when I was an ass, I had no experience, and sense. So, that's irrelevant

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You have relicensed a GPL2 code into GPL3. You cant do that, plain and simple because you dont own the code you are forking. The copyright of that code is from dimok (and whoever contributed to the repo) so the GPL2 protection kicks in and prevents YOU from relicensing it unless you have obtained permission for the original autor or they have decline any rights to the code.

Please set it back to GPL2 asap. Stop misusing open source licenses.
I have gotten permission from dimok, if you want I can quote.

Let me clear the air: I apologize for projects in the past not progressing, and some being hyped and not continued. I am no amateur, and I am actively working. I haven't pushed anything due to there not being Much to push. Some of my goals may seem unrealistic, but I will be adding most of them. I will bust my ass to get the project going, and I hope to see it grow. Now, if you don't find I have school to attend.

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1