Windows 8 thread

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by YayMii, Oct 29, 2012.

?

Did you buy/install Windows 8, and what's your opinion?

1. Yes, and satisfied

20 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, and it's okay

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Yes, and dissatisfied

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Yes, but too early to form an opinion

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. No, but planning to

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. OH HELL NAW

20 vote(s)
    33.3%
Oct 29, 2012

Windows 8 thread by YayMii at 10:55 PM (3,557 Views / 1 Likes) 71 replies

1. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Just curious about how many 'Tempers went and got Windows 8 this weekend (...or downloaded it :ph34r:) and what people think about it.

Personally, I'm enjoying it. Boots up faster than 7 on my laptop, runs (somewhat) smoother, and so far have no compatibility issues with it. The interface is not as bad as people seem to think IMO, and is actually easy to use on a laptop/desktop once you get used to it. Also, Minesweeper Adventure Mode.

Arras likes this.

2. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    I'm getting it soon, but first I'm gonna finish stuff for school (can't mess up my programming toolchain just before some projects end) and then I'm installing it.
    For the people who care about a legal windows and have recently bought a new system / laptop (or can pretend that they did), you can get W8 pretty cheap here: https://windowsupgradeoffer.com/

3. DaRk_ViVi

Member DaRk_ViVi ...is everywhere!

Italy
    I've installed it a couple of days ago (actually I had the dvd laying in my room for a month but was too lazy to install it xD).
    I was quite meh about the new interface, but I'm starting to love the new look of the start are and all the speed tweaks (and shortcuts) Microsoft added to this new Windows. :)

P.S. No sign of Minesweeper on the Italian Store (dunno if it's European or what). :(
    P.P.S. Original Windows 8 Pro Final, being a Microsoft Partner at work we got it early. ;)

4. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    I've been debating whether or not I want to try it. Got a copy around here somewhere my uncle sent me, will probably end up upgrading as soon as I can find it.

5. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    My Copy came in from Newegg today. Really wish I waited though since the Pro was running for the same price of $69.99 on eBay. I wasn't a fan during the initial Preview but I must same I do kinda love it now. The only real annoyance I've had with it is searching for tools, which are now either pinned on the Taskbar or Start menu, and finding the right drivers again for this damn laptop which are pretty much personal issues.

The apps are very convenient imo. I only wish I had a touchscreen for a better experience... but so far so good :)

6. mostwanted

Newcomer mostwanted Member

United States
    Yes, but too early to form an opinion
    I for one just don't like the idea of not having a start menu, there are a bunch of software programs out there like start8, classic start, pokki and tons more..
    I want to try and get use to the no start menu, but it will hard. So many steps just to launch the run command with no start menu :unsure:

7. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    I will give it a shot on a VM, and thats pretty much it for my personal usage. I know that I will have to get used to it rather soon being a PC tech and all.

8. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Still running the Release preview, need to update soon.

9. Gh0sti

Member Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States
    idk why everyone hates windows 8 it works and it does it well

10. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    The Start screen isn't really that bad. And the run command can be opened with WinKey+R and has been able to since Windows 95.

11. mostwanted

Newcomer mostwanted Member

United States
    On Windows 8... I clearly remember trying this and it didn't work... I'll try again when I get the chance.

12. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    My advice is to install it to a vhd instead of a VM You will then have full access to all the power without the trouble if you dont like hit delete. The only thing is that you will get the deadful windows 8 bootloader.(since you are a tech you can fix that)
    All you have to do is:SHIFT-F10. DISKPART. CREATE VDISK FILE=C:\VHD.VHD maximum=20000 type=expandable. attach vdisk. then hit refresh where you choose disk an choose your vhd.

I never liked windows 7 and windows 8 is bearable because the start menu but its still windows 7.

13. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    I ended up buying it for a Acer Iconia W500 and it has made the tablet experience much much better. A for buying or using it for an upgrade on my desktop or laptop I doubt i will go that unless I modded it to use the desktop by default.

14. Walker D

Member Walker D I have a hat

Brazil
    I'm also interested in how the new Windows RT works ....have seem some strange buggy performances in some reviews (especially when they play "cut the rope" :P ..framerate goes to the ground..)

Someone bought a Surface and can comment about it ?

15. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I actually got a new laptop about two months ago and it came with the offer of getting W8 for about 17.99. So two days ago I downloaded and immediately installed it.
    I must say, I'm really pleased with it so far. I really love the mail app, in fact I fave 5 or 6 different accounts ( included the yahoo which doesn't offer free POP servise ) and after setting them up in mail, I was able to check all of them on the fly.
    Also the messaging software linked with my facebook account seems to be an excellent way to keep all your contacts from different instant messaging services all together.
    It's taking a while to get use to it, but my laptop runs better then ever and feels like a new computer already.
    I only whish there were more customization possible within each application, it seams we are limited to very few choices.

And for the love of God , I can't get firefox nightly do display in metro ui, only on desktop.
    And I set it to default and tried every trick out there.....still no luck.
    But I like the full screen experience, and now I'm reluctantly using metro internet explorer, which is not as bad as I thought it would be.

Also I'm using a web browser based proxy server to watch Netflix, and it works great, but I can't access to the Netflix app trough the store!!!
    I need to find some workaround to download it, I hear nothing but great things about it !

But yes, all in all I'm very satisfied, and by performing a clean installation ( dual booting with windows 7 ) I got rid of all the crap that came preinstalled on my dell XPS.....which is always a good thing......

16. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    I LOVE Windows 8. I have it on my laptop-turned into a-game console. It's an old Dell e1505 (sans built in 15" monitor and plugged into a 19" monitor via VGA) but Windows 8 makes it feel like a brand new toy! It runs high end games via OnLive and runs artsy/2d-indy games, emulators and Xbox 1 gen PC games natively. The 945gm graphics card sucks but I really wish I could get around the stuttering audio in Null DC :( . If anyone has any ideas on how to properly run NullDC on a low end PC, hit me up! I have a wired 360 controller connected to the device and I use a Joy2Key setup to use my 360 controller for OS navigation. I only need a Xbox chat-pad now so that I don't have to keep getting off my ass to type shit.

17. GammaGeorgeX

Member GammaGeorgeX GBAtemp Regular

Burundi
    Sadly I didn't end up being encouraged enough to finish the installation on virtualbox... Still actually haven't figured out what they meant by the drivers in there.

18. Creqaw

Member Creqaw GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Currently backing up all my stuff to prepare for Windows 8. Got the 14.99 euro upgrade and also the WMC key so I'll be installing that too just for the heck of it.

19. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    I ran the windows8upgrade_assistant tool & just did a upgrade vs clean install seeing as even though my pc is legit a clean install would require me to find the seriel which is impossible for laptops with windows 7 pre-installed; they don't give you a seriel number :(

So far the OS has glitched on me once, & numerous apps won't run unless you click properties and run under compatibility mode -> Windows 7, click box to run as admin. A prime example is ConvertXtoDVD v3,4,5 all with same results and when they do run it just crashes after 10 mins or so.

Hope they solve this issue cause the auto compatibility checker is crap lol I can do all that under properties as mentioned before.

Oh yeah as for the glitch the new start menu got all pixelated and I had to restart the pc.

20. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    Still content with Windows 7 so I'll pass on this one. Now that I think about it, I have been skipping every other "generation" so to speak. O___o

98 >> XP >> 7