Windows 8 thread

Did you buy/install Windows 8, and what's your opinion?

• Yes, and satisfied

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Yes, and it's okay

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Yes, and dissatisfied

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Yes, but too early to form an opinion

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, but planning to

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • OH HELL NAW

Votes: 20 33.3%

• Total voters

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just curious about how many 'Tempers went and got Windows 8 this weekend (...or downloaded it :ph34r:) and what people think about it.

Personally, I'm enjoying it. Boots up faster than 7 on my laptop, runs (somewhat) smoother, and so far have no compatibility issues with it. The interface is not as bad as people seem to think IMO, and is actually easy to use on a laptop/desktop once you get used to it. Also, Minesweeper Adventure Mode.

Reactions: Arras

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm getting it soon, but first I'm gonna finish stuff for school (can't mess up my programming toolchain just before some projects end) and then I'm installing it.
For the people who care about a legal windows and have recently bought a new system / laptop (or can pretend that they did), you can get W8 pretty cheap here: https://windowsupgradeoffer.com/

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
I've installed it a couple of days ago (actually I had the dvd laying in my room for a month but was too lazy to install it xD).
I was quite meh about the new interface, but I'm starting to love the new look of the start are and all the speed tweaks (and shortcuts) Microsoft added to this new Windows. :)

P.S. No sign of Minesweeper on the Italian Store (dunno if it's European or what). :(
P.P.S. Original Windows 8 Pro Final, being a Microsoft Partner at work we got it early. ;)

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
My Copy came in from Newegg today. Really wish I waited though since the Pro was running for the same price of $69.99 on eBay. I wasn't a fan during the initial Preview but I must same I do kinda love it now. The only real annoyance I've had with it is searching for tools, which are now either pinned on the Taskbar or Start menu, and finding the right drivers again for this damn laptop which are pretty much personal issues.

The apps are very convenient imo. I only wish I had a touchscreen for a better experience... but so far so good :)

mostwanted

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but too early to form an opinion
I for one just don't like the idea of not having a start menu, there are a bunch of software programs out there like start8, classic start, pokki and tons more..
I want to try and get use to the no start menu, but it will hard. So many steps just to launch the run command with no start menu :unsure:

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, but too early to form an opinion
I for one just don't like the idea of not having a start menu, there are a bunch of software programs out there like start8, classic start, pokki and tons more..
I want to try and get use to the no start menu, but it will hard. So many steps just to launch the run command with no start menu :unsure:
The Start screen isn't really that bad. And the run command can be opened with WinKey+R and has been able to since Windows 95.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I will give it a shot on a VM, and thats pretty much it for my personal usage. I know that I will have to get used to it rather soon being a PC tech and all.
My advice is to install it to a vhd instead of a VM You will then have full access to all the power without the trouble if you dont like hit delete. The only thing is that you will get the deadful windows 8 bootloader.(since you are a tech you can fix that)
All you have to do is:SHIFT-F10. DISKPART. CREATE VDISK FILE=C:\VHD.VHD maximum=20000 type=expandable. attach vdisk. then hit refresh where you choose disk an choose your vhd.

I never liked windows 7 and windows 8 is bearable because the start menu but its still windows 7.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up buying it for a Acer Iconia W500 and it has made the tablet experience much much better. A for buying or using it for an upgrade on my desktop or laptop I doubt i will go that unless I modded it to use the desktop by default.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm also interested in how the new Windows RT works ....have seem some strange buggy performances in some reviews (especially when they play "cut the rope" :P ..framerate goes to the ground..)

Someone bought a Surface and can comment about it ?

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I actually got a new laptop about two months ago and it came with the offer of getting W8 for about 17.99. So two days ago I downloaded and immediately installed it.
I must say, I'm really pleased with it so far. I really love the mail app, in fact I fave 5 or 6 different accounts ( included the yahoo which doesn't offer free POP servise ) and after setting them up in mail, I was able to check all of them on the fly.
Also the messaging software linked with my facebook account seems to be an excellent way to keep all your contacts from different instant messaging services all together.
It's taking a while to get use to it, but my laptop runs better then ever and feels like a new computer already.
I only whish there were more customization possible within each application, it seams we are limited to very few choices.

And for the love of God , I can't get firefox nightly do display in metro ui, only on desktop.
And I set it to default and tried every trick out there.....still no luck.
But I like the full screen experience, and now I'm reluctantly using metro internet explorer, which is not as bad as I thought it would be.

Also I'm using a web browser based proxy server to watch Netflix, and it works great, but I can't access to the Netflix app trough the store!!!
I need to find some workaround to download it, I hear nothing but great things about it !

But yes, all in all I'm very satisfied, and by performing a clean installation ( dual booting with windows 7 ) I got rid of all the crap that came preinstalled on my dell XPS.....which is always a good thing......

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I LOVE Windows 8. I have it on my laptop-turned into a-game console. It's an old Dell e1505 (sans built in 15" monitor and plugged into a 19" monitor via VGA) but Windows 8 makes it feel like a brand new toy! It runs high end games via OnLive and runs artsy/2d-indy games, emulators and Xbox 1 gen PC games natively. The 945gm graphics card sucks but I really wish I could get around the stuttering audio in Null DC :( . If anyone has any ideas on how to properly run NullDC on a low end PC, hit me up! I have a wired 360 controller connected to the device and I use a Joy2Key setup to use my 360 controller for OS navigation. I only need a Xbox chat-pad now so that I don't have to keep getting off my ass to type shit.

GammaGeorgeX

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Sadly I didn't end up being encouraged enough to finish the installation on virtualbox... Still actually haven't figured out what they meant by the drivers in there.

Creqaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Currently backing up all my stuff to prepare for Windows 8. Got the 14.99 euro upgrade and also the WMC key so I'll be installing that too just for the heck of it.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran the windows8upgrade_assistant tool & just did a upgrade vs clean install seeing as even though my pc is legit a clean install would require me to find the seriel which is impossible for laptops with windows 7 pre-installed; they don't give you a seriel number :(

So far the OS has glitched on me once, & numerous apps won't run unless you click properties and run under compatibility mode -> Windows 7, click box to run as admin. A prime example is ConvertXtoDVD v3,4,5 all with same results and when they do run it just crashes after 10 mins or so.

Hope they solve this issue cause the auto compatibility checker is crap lol I can do all that under properties as mentioned before.

Oh yeah as for the glitch the new start menu got all pixelated and I had to restart the pc.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Still content with Windows 7 so I'll pass on this one. Now that I think about it, I have been skipping every other "generation" so to speak. O___o

98 >> XP >> 7

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1