Windows 8 thread

Did you buy/install Windows 8, and what's your opinion?

• Yes, and satisfied

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Yes, and it's okay

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Yes, and dissatisfied

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Yes, but too early to form an opinion

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, but planning to

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • OH HELL NAW

Votes: 20 33.3%

• Total voters

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some notes:
-Switching between Metro and Classic? You do know you can use the menu on the left (or Winkey + Tab) to switch between Metro apps without having to use the UI?
-Win+X does the same as right click in the bottom left corner.
-What would you use the start button for that isn't reasonably quickly available? Besides, 1-2 seconds every hour doesn't seem too bad.
-I agree with the shortcuts. I installed Visual Studio 2010 and it added about 30 shortcuts to the Metro menu o.0 They aren't that hard to remove though, right click all you want gone and select Unpin from Start.
-Private Info: I'm pretty sure you can create an offline account and use that instead of using your Windows Live account. You can unlink them at least.
-I really like the centralized search, as I said before. Instead of pinning 20 programs to my taskbar/start menu I just type the first few letters and hit enter.
-The customization is limited, true. However, eventually hackers will find a way to change and customize all that.

- Ik now I can use that bar, but sometimes it annoys the hell out of me.... un nessisary mouse movement.
- :o Indeed, I forgot about the centralized search, works fine. But I thought win7 had something similar (under start)
- Well, sometimes I use the start button 20+ times every hour (accidentally closing maps I need, moving a shit load of files to different locations, opening a lot of external devices changing different settings a lot etc.).

That's the point. I don't like it enough yet.
If such a hack is there and it works nearly 100% stable. I might switch.
But for now the OS doesn't appeal enough to me...

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
One thing I keep hearing from people citing as an improvement of W8 is the supposed improved Search function where you just press the Windows button and type the name (or part of it) of the program of interest.

Correct me if I am wrong here but doesn't 7 (and Vista I think?) already do that?
Not exactly. For example, I have installed Aurora as my default browser. However, if I start to type "Fire" it comes up as well. I don't think Win7 did that (though I'm not really sure either). Besides, does Win7 support (for example) just typing "Goo" in the search bar and hitting enter to launch Google Chrome (Assuming it's your most used program whose name starts with Goo)? I honestly don't know as I only used Windows 7 for a few weeks.

Some other nice stuff about Win8:
-Built in Microsoft Security Essentials that is set to scan whenever your PC is not doing anything about once a week. No more idiots who remove their virus scanner!
-No more "I UPDATED SO I WILL TURN OFF YOUR PC WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT", it now says: "Automatic reboot in 3 days" or something if an important update is installed.
-Updates get installed automatically during Scheduled Maintenance (this is when the autoscan runs as well). No more idiots who never ever update!

- Ik now I can use that bar, but sometimes it annoys the hell out of me.... un nessisary mouse movement.
- :o Indeed, I forgot about the centralized search, works fine. But I thought win7 had something similar (under start)
- Well, sometimes I use the start button 20+ times every hour (accidentally closing maps I need, moving a shit load of files to different locations, opening a lot of external devices changing different settings a lot etc.).

That's the point. I don't like it enough yet.
If such a hack is there and it works nearly 100% stable. I might switch.
But for now the OS doesn't appeal enough to me...
It seems like your last problem can be fixed easily:
-Attach File Explorer to Task bar
-Click it with middle mouse button
-You now have an extra File Explorer open that you can use to move files etc
-You can even pin folders and files that you use often in the Explorer by clicking File and looking at the right part of the window.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not exactly. For example, I have installed Aurora as my default browser. However, if I start to type "Fire" it comes up as well. I don't think Win7 did that (though I'm not really sure either). Besides, does
It seems like your last problem can be fixed easily:
-Attach File Explorer to Task bar
-Click it with middle mouse button
-You now have an extra File Explorer open that you can use to move files etc
-You can even pin folders and files that you use often in the Explorer by clicking File and looking at the right part of the window.

yea, I guess you've got a point there.
(which only has one downside when I use my acer without mouse (which is the test pc with 8), It doesn't have a middle mouse button (and I don't know if left + right was software or windows))

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Some other nice stuff about Win8:
-Built in Microsoft Security Essentials that is set to scan whenever your PC is not doing anything about once a week. No more idiots who remove their virus scanner!

Too bad the version in Win8 is a downgrade compared to the original MSE. No on-demand scanning from the context menu, reduced configurability and subjectively worse performance during filesystem operations.

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, but too early to form an opinion
I for one just don't like the idea of not having a start menu, there are a bunch of software programs out there like start8, classic start, pokki and tons more..
I want to try and get use to the no start menu, but it will hard. So many steps just to launch the run command with no start menu :unsure:

err hit win+x and press R and thee is your beloved run command, now if u have a programable logitach keyboard just record that to your G-buttons =] or in the start screen just start typing :P u dont need the run box it will auto search and is much more efficient than click or click run type now u can just type on the start screen

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yea, I guess you've got a point there.
(which only has one downside when I use my acer without mouse (which is the test pc with 8), It doesn't have a middle mouse button (and I don't know if left + right was software or windows))
Right click File Explorer on the task bar. If you click one of the Recent Folders from there or even File Explorer it will open a new tab. Middle click is just slightly faster.

err hit win+x and press R and thee is your beloved run command, now if u have a programable logitach keyboard just record that to your G-buttons =] or in the start screen just start typing :P u dont need the run box it will auto search and is much more efficient than click or click run type now u can just type on the start screen
Even easier: Winkey + R. This shortcut exists since WinXP or earlier.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
No way in hell. I might if I buy a gaming pc in the future but as of now no. Way to happy with the chakra-project to change.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It did. But its not cited as improvement, but merely that there is zero difference in workflow compared to Win7. The only improvement is that the search is split in several categories (Apps, Files, Settings etc.). People probably didn't use it before because they were used to either the clusterfuck Startmenu of previous versions, or used a dock or something.
Ahh fair enough :)

I personally don't really care much about for the Start Page vs Start Button contents debacle since most of the things have their shortcuts on my Desktop anyway. Think the only time I use it is to shut down. And I sometimes double Alt+F4 to do it LOL. That being said, I like the Start button just fine the way it is. Even if pressing it leads to the Start Page, I think putting just a visible button there might calm quite a few people down. Anyway, the only reason I am miffed (for the lack of a better word) with it is because they refused to give you the option to choose how you like it done. I for one am a fan of choice and customisations :P

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I am not going to upgrade to Windows 8 because 7 is more than enough to satisfy my needs.

I absolutely diss that Metro UI for a regular computer. I am really disappointed MS decided to go that route.
I tried Windows 8 on my friend's newly bought PC and to be honest, I was not very pleased. I like that it's a lot smoother than Win7 and Microsoft Accounts but I absolutely dislike the Metro start screen. My computer is a computer, not a weaker touch tablet.

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IMO, there's a bit to much switching between the Metro and "classic" interface.
It works fine, but the looks just don't satisfy me enough to make me switch my gaming laptop and desktop to 8.

If they gave me the option to switch every look and path to Win7, it would be a instant install.

Pro's:
It's quick in booting, internet connection speed and loading stuff. (on a HDD)
It reads ISO's natively
Certain internal transfers seem to be quicker.
USB preformance seems quicker
Device recognition is way better (at least for the stuff I tried)
Secure boot feature, haven't used it, but it should keep certain stuff off the pc's of less "nerdy" people (don't know a propper name atm. No harm intended)

Con's:
It looks like a child's toy, compared to a well customized Windows 7.
During certain tasks, you have to switch too much between metro and Classic (music, movies, images)
The titles are a spam fest... I installed Solidworks 2012, Win8 thought it was necessary to make a title for each and every .exe it installed ( whilst the program normaly only acces those itself, without user influence)
Background in metro isn't realy changable (I don't call pre-defined stuff a real choice)
Private info. Why the hell would I want to give all my personal information, manditory?!?!?!? Make that optional!
Start button. I use that thing on a hourly basis in win7....... And the absence of it in 8 does slow me down 2 seconds every time I have need for it...
Configuration options are a bit fragmented.

Mic:
Configuration options are accesable trough win + x. Which is a pro and a con. It is sometimes faster, but slower other times. and for private info u can use local accounts u realise

Well, I guess that sums it up a bit.

it wasnt windows 8's fault that it pinned all those exe's to ur menu its the programs install that hasnt been updated to support windows 8 so ur blaming windows for something it had no control over

shoyrumaster11

Trophies
XP
Country
You compare a preview release running inside a VM to a stable RTM version installed in a normal environment? lol.

Well, to me, all betas and test releases of software kinda-do reflect on the final release of a product! For example, If I were a kid of the 90's and heard of Microsoft's Windows 95 (Codenamed Chicago) I would try out the Chicago OS and since Chicago was one of the first releases of 95 (Possibly to perfect source code before final release) I would play around a little with things (Settings, Programs, Internet, etc...) And depending if there are lot's of bugs or a small amount of bugs, I may buy the OS when it's final release comes out. And while "good graphics don't make something" I think the W8 "Start/Metro" UI is not that great an idea! If EVER I do get W8, i'll be sure to get Start8 as well. Even though THAT may never happen because I'm a Windows 7 && loving it! While I never tried the Windows 7 betas, and never originally wanted it, after a few looks at it and all, I liked it. Stuff may be different with 8 since it's more geared towards mobile devices! In a nutshell, I think M$ may have gone the wrong direction with their new OS. If they could make a "Desktop Edition" which eliminates the Metro UI all together, I WOULD go for it, especially since i'm mostly a desktop user!

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Right click File Explorer on the task bar. If you click one of the Recent Folders from there or even File Explorer it will open a new tab. Middle click is just slightly faster.

Even easier: Winkey + R. This shortcut exists since WinXP or earlier.

It's even easier: when in the start menu, just type whatever you want to run, W8 will give you a list of application, files, settings, ans so on that are relevant to the search.
Really no need fot a Winkey combination on my system.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Might install it as a dual boot to check it out, had the dev version a while ago and didn't really like it. Looking forward to seeing if the final version can grab my attention.

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
later after it download im gonna make a windows to go on my usb hdd

but other than that windows 8 is only gonna be on my surface pro (when i get it)

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
I'll try it sometime later when I've got time. Right now Win7 is already good. I don't see the faster startup as a reason to switch. I leave my computer on constantly so it's not a problem for me.

Unagi

A disgrace to his famiry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have one of those $25 off vouchers from adding a Wndows 7 key that they no longer need? I actually am looking for a key, and I would be happy to donate a few bucks your way for it! ;)

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
One more thing I wanted to add.....
I'm super happy there is a button now to go up one directory when browsing folders.
It was there in XP but missing from Vista and 7, and it's finally back.
It was driving me nuts...
So the desktop is improved....and really, I don't mind the exclusion of the start button, I generally only used it to shot down the PC anyway...

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm thinking about upgrading. I want to do a full wipe of my PC anyway to get rid of OEM crap and I get Win 7 and Win 8 for free via Dreamspark.
Problem is that my laptop isn't directly supported for Win8 and laptop drivers are a bitch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte