Windows 8 thread

Did you buy/install Windows 8, and what's your opinion?

• Yes, and satisfied

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Yes, and it's okay

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Yes, and dissatisfied

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Yes, but too early to form an opinion

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, but planning to

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • OH HELL NAW

Votes: 20 33.3%

• Total voters

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, there are no major differences as far as stability changes go (plus hardware drivers are not finalized yet). Not to mention there's no appeal to the new Metro UI, so yeah, probably not. Perhaps I might test it on VMWare or VirtualBox...but who knows.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Yes, but too early to form an opinion
I for one just don't like the idea of not having a start menu, there are a bunch of software programs out there like start8, classic start, pokki and tons more..
I want to try and get use to the no start menu, but it will hard. So many steps just to launch the run command with no start menu :unsure:
windows key + R i do beleive :)

Ive got a new laptop with win8 ,, i was like wtf do i do ,, wheres all the fuctionality ive come to know over the past 15 yrs .. omfg.. ill be removing the metro crap soon as pos

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Is there an inbuilt method of disabling metro , or do i have to do this :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
In the right pane, double-click on RPEnabled key and change its value from 1 to 0. P.S. It is also possible to tweak system files, but we don't want that. Well, that's all. Now, log off, log back in and you will be using the Aero interface only, with a few small visual changes, like the new windows borders, new fonts and such.

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Welcome to Windows 8. XBOX edition.

This edition reminds me of other similarities such as Vista or even better Windows ME (Mistake Edition).

Which similarities would that be? Vista had both performance and driver issues at its release (both which are solved today btw.), Win ME had severe stability issues and the system restore feature had several functional faults such as the saving (and subsequent restore) of virusses and malware. Win8 has none of these issues. If you don't bother to deal more than 5 minutes with a new feature, don't blame it on the OS.

It's important to learn the difference between "this sucks" and "this isn't for me"

Is there an inbuilt method of disabling metro , or do i have to do this :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
In the right pane, double-click on RPEnabled key and change its value from 1 to 0. P.S. It is also possible to tweak system files, but we don't want that. Well, that's all. Now, log off, log back in and you will be using the Aero interface only, with a few small visual changes, like the new windows borders, new fonts and such.

This doesn't work in the final, only in the developer previews IIRC. You can disable Metro by installing Windows 7.

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
yeah i know this , but didnt they include a revert to "aero" or something similar... like they did in all other versions

There is no Aero in Win8 anymore, so no differentiation between "Aero" or "Basic" (as in 7 and Vista). The UI is now hardware accelerated in any case, which means that a GPU w/ DX9 support is required at minimum. In Win 7 you could use Basic if you hadn't one, but the number of systems without DX9 support should be negligible low by now.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
have you tried start8 ?

the laptop i bought yesterday is samsung , i have just read samsung incorporate their own "start" fuctionality .. although i didnt see anything out of the box .. will have to check this out.

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
have you tried start8 ?

No, because I think that the Startscreen is as good as the old Startmenu. As I said, there is no difference in workflow, only the design is different. Press Win+Q and you have a folder-like overview of the Startscreen, or just press Win and enter the first few characters of the program you want to start and hit enter. Or put your favorite shortcuts directly on the Startscreen.

Reactions: Magsor

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Thing is that Windows 8 doesn't have the technical issues that those ones did. Windows 8 functions entirely as intended its just that how its intended to work isn't the best.
I'm going to install Windows 8 onto my laptop next time I have a weekend free since I want to do a fresh install anyway. It'll take a bit to get used to all the hotcorners and I'll probably install Start8 just for ease of launching programs in desktop mode. I'm willing to give it a shot though (and its free for me anyway. If need be I'll have a WIn 7 disc on hand to do another wipe.)

Reactions: Arm73

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome