Windows 11 will be a free upgrade for Windows 10 users and will feature new gaming enhancements

Xbox_Wire_Windows11.jpg

During a livestream that aired today, Microsoft officially unveiled its next OS: Windows 11 and announced that Windows 10 users will get access to Windows 11 as a free upgrade, similar to how Windows 7 and 8 users were upgraded to Windows 10 for free.

Microsoft also said that Windows 11 will be "the best Windows ever for gaming". To back that claim up, the tech giant announced a slate of gaming-related enhancements. One of these is Auto HDR which will make games look better as it adds High Dynamic Range (HDR) enhancements to titles built on DirectX 11 or higher that previously only leveraged Standard Dynamic Range (SDR). This tech was in fact introduced Xbox Series X|S consoles.

Another enhancement will come to loading speed through the new DirectStorage technology. This was part of the Xbox Velocity Architecture featured in the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S and Windows 11 PCs will load new games faster with a high performance NVMe SSD and the proper drivers.

As a final gaming-related feature, the Xbox app will be built into Windows 11 to provide easier access to Game Pass. Cloud gaming will also be directly added into the Xbox app on PC.

Another interesting announcement during the event, albeit not directly related to gaming, is that Android apps will apparently run natively on Windows 11. The apps will be downloadable from Amazon’s Appstore, which will itself be accessible via the new Windows store.

For more details about the gaming-related announcements, head to the official Xbox blog post in the source link below.

:arrow: SOURCE

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
As I understand it, Hackintoshes are mostly a pain because of limited hardware driver availability which isn't a problem on Windows. So said bypass methods (most likely by either tricking into thinking it is running in a VM or even using a very lightweight bare metal hypervisor to intercept and fake the CPU version check, also note that software only TPMs designed for use with things like qemu do exist) will probably be more like using Luma or Atmosphere CFW than a Hackintosh.

Of course, that is assuming they actually go through with it and it can't be permanently bypassed with nothing more than a sysprep unattended answers file like what you would use to permanently move the Users folder to another partition/drive.

I referenced Hackintoshes because depending on the host, the initial setup can be a pain e.g. configuring DSDT (or whatever it is now), choosing what patches you need and in the past at least, you had to be careful with updates in case it breaks something.

In the early days, I even remember patches for SSE4 (or something along those lines) to make it work on older processors.

Drivers are an issue, but that’s just part of it.

Edit:

Whilst tech people could probably bypass it, I can’t imagine allot of ‘normal’ people going through hoops or we’ll probably see ‘commercial’ solutions sold in places like Currys, Best Buy, etc.

‘Extend the life of your PC for £39.99!’

Even though the same thing will probably be available for free online.

where windows 9 at tho?

The rumoured reason I heard why they skipped it is because software would check the version string of Windows, so there’s a chance they’d detect the OS as Windows 95/98.

Last edited by tech3475,

SaberLilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope that the TPM stuff is more of a suggestion than a flat out requirement, because if windows 11 is as good as microsoft is hyping it up, plus what i've experienced using the build that was leaked online, its perfect for low end netbooks and older computers. I legitimately mean that, it would be perfect to spruce up an old laptop with without having to install and teach someone how to use Linux.
(No i do not hate linux either, that comment was directed towards the older crowd who has been using windows for years)

KoopTheKoopa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
koopthekoopa.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So Windows 11 may be detected as Windows 10? (not that they are too different under the hood)
Yep. Windows 11 is a highly modified Windows 10 clone.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm curious as to how you STILL prefer Windows 10 if you haven't even tried Windows 11 that just happens to not be out yet, except in an early preview state.
I watched a video of the leak so I spoilt my self :mellow:

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
To be honest, I'm more concerned about the design. I didn't expect they to announce a new Windows until they had completed the transition to fluent design in Windows 10.

The new design language doesn't seem like the one they were originally doing for fluent design. and that's a problem, because once again they will leave their previous design incomplete and put a new one on top and consequently create even more inconsistencies in the UI/UX.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. Windows 11 is a highly modified Windows 10 clone.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I watched a video of the leak so I spoilt my self :mellow:

But but... That's like hearing 5 seconds of a song and saying you don't like it. Or watching 5 minutes of a sequel and claiming that it's not as good at the first one. :)

Reactions: KoopTheKoopa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-