Hardware Will the Switch be Nintendo's most successful system?

Will the Switch be Nintendo's most successful system?

• Yes

Votes: 318 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 153 21.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 243 34.0%

• Total voters

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe though TBH I don't think anything will beat the SNES. I didn't know of any family I knew/met that didn't have one growing up. In fact it wasn't til the N64 that I started to encounter those that didn't have a Nintendo device but had instead opted for the PlayStation. Which I can't blame people it was a great system with decent games and piss poor AP checks.

D

Deleted User

I think maybe. Also depends by what you mean by successful? Purely the units sold or a combination of games and units?
Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units.
Nintendo Wii is at 101.63 million.
I could see it potentially outselling the Wii but it would be really amazing if it outsold the DS

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think the SNES was the biggest success in home consoles for Nintendo. But thats depends on how you look at it or what counts to be the most successfull.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It pretty much depends on if they can keep up momentum with the device. It is a beautiful piece of hardware and the first year was epic. I do wonder however which titles should attract the main audience this year.

I have to admit that Metroid, Bayonetta, Kirby and Yoshi look great and I am sure to get all on launch BUT these are not really system sellere eh?

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
100 Million is not out question with the success and momentum it has right now, the real test is reaching the heights of the DS 150+ Million.

Perhaps with Labo they can pull in more audience. Could be massive in schools and kids in general.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely, yes. But only after they kill off the 3DS, I feel like it's holding back Switch Sales. My Walmart I work at constantly has Switches in stock now.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My ability to predict consumer trends is poor at the best of times (this current trend coming very much out of left field for me). I can see this being a bubble but there is also the chance enough people will capitalise upon it to produce something of some small merit anyway. I also relies upon the crack epidemic among android developers and publishers to continue unabated and emulation of the switch to in turn not get far on another portable.

Right now it is in absolutely no danger of supplanting the DS in my heart. Has not got the games, has not the charm and anybody likely to do great things with it would probably be hobbling themselves by limiting themselves to the Switch. Earlier someone said it had a great first year... not even close for me. I would expect several times the volume of top notch games to be coming out to make such a claim.

Anything which can take low latency input, put out some graphics and do some calculations in the middle has potential to be all that and more, though there are things you can do to help that (most of which run "see the wii u? Do the opposite of that"). From what I can see the Switch is not as bad as the wii u but hardly doing all it can and faces very stiff competition, not to mention has some dark clouds on the horizon.

Were I a developer I would probably be looking at the switch in terms of install base and existing games as to whether I try my hand at it. Nothing about the hardware excites me in the slightest and it is not even a particularly slick offering that I could streamline a game onto. I would equally not chastise any dev/pub for looking at it and thinking "nah" before going on to do android, PC and the PS4bone.

Earlier the idea of different metrics was spoken of. My preferred one for whether I want to take the leap is "exclusives are a bad thing and I don't like it, however in spite of that would the console allow me to experience a broad slice of gaming at the time?". The DS had that, the 3ds did not. There is some small chance that said exclusives or effective exclusives generate a library worth looking into (the gamecube kind of had this) but if it is only likely to be Nintendo first party and captive devs then nope.

The problem with bubbles is it will probably draw out the death of it and that means even longer until we potentially see something actually interesting.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Its a shame. Im a nintendo fanboy. But I cant handle the crappy build quality. So no switch for me until a switch with proper Build quality has been released.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Let's not forget the DS family sold just over 154 million units. I don't think they'll top that with the Switch.
The Switch has plenty of time to at least try.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
No, unless some miracles are done with hardware and software from this point on. Which I doubt.

But like all Nintendo hardware, Nintendo will be smiling when forced to reduce the price, unlike its competitors who have less room to move. Right now, Switch is quite overpriced & a less-than-ideal hybrid of the 'portable' and home console worlds. Probably Nintendo's last gimmick. But the potential is there for massive price reductions in the future, without bleeding.

Version 2 Switch hardware and software support in 2 years will be very interesting to watch though. Same with Version 3.

Lucky for them that Sony is no longer selling the Vita. If people are buying like they say, there is no need to reduce the price, so good for them & their investors. But I don't think we have seen a truly excellent Switch portable, nor a powerful home console that would worry its competitors. With the increasing popularity of 4K from here on out, the Switch is not immune from the Wii's longer-term problems.

Reactions: RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I doubt it'll be the best selling. Though I'm more interested in how many people will actually use it frequently. Just sales numbers doesn't tell us how many people actually use it, it just tells how many people bought it (and if it turns out anything like the 3DS some people will have multiples). I live in a relatively small town and I've already seen them used stores. Software sales, title releases, and player retention are much more important imo.

I mean everyone I know with a Wii just uses it for homebrew and piracy despite how well it did, and there's no shortage of used ones. The Wii U is a failure all around. Few noteworthy releases, low sales, poor marketing, limited storage space among other things.

While the Switch is selling very quickly I don't expect it to keep up. I'm not saying people will stop buying it, but because of the hype I think a lot of people who really wanted one have bought it already.

Reactions: foob

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc