Will the Switch be Nintendo's most successful system?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by T-hug, Jan 31, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

317 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. No

148 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. Maybe

242 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    Maybe though TBH I don't think anything will beat the SNES. I didn't know of any family I knew/met that didn't have one growing up. In fact it wasn't til the N64 that I started to encounter those that didn't have a Nintendo device but had instead opted for the PlayStation. Which I can't blame people it was a great system with decent games and piss poor AP checks.

2. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    I think maybe. Also depends by what you mean by successful? Purely the units sold or a combination of games and units?
    Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units.
    Nintendo Wii is at 101.63 million.
    I could see it potentially outselling the Wii but it would be really amazing if it outsold the DS

3. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Nah, optimistically it will fall just short of Wii numbers.

dekuleon likes this.
  4. DSAndi

DSAndi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2008
    Gambia, The
    I think the SNES was the biggest success in home consoles for Nintendo. But thats depends on how you look at it or what counts to be the most successfull.

5. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Successful in what way? consoles sold? games sold? game library size? there's a lot of metrics.

6. Langin

Langin HI! ^O^

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    It pretty much depends on if they can keep up momentum with the device. It is a beautiful piece of hardware and the first year was epic. I do wonder however which titles should attract the main audience this year.

I have to admit that Metroid, Bayonetta, Kirby and Yoshi look great and I am sure to get all on launch BUT these are not really system sellere eh?

7. heartgold

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    100 Million is not out question with the success and momentum it has right now, the real test is reaching the heights of the DS 150+ Million.

Perhaps with Labo they can pull in more audience. Could be massive in schools and kids in general.

8. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Absolutely, yes. But only after they kill off the 3DS, I feel like it's holding back Switch Sales. My Walmart I work at constantly has Switches in stock now.

9. sks316

sks316 #YearOfLuigi2018

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Cerulean Cave
    It could possibly be, but considering how many units the Wii sold in it's lifetime, I'd say that we'll just have to see what happens.

10. dekuleon

dekuleon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    dekuleon is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 1, 2010
    Brazil
    where the wind makes the curve
    If It receives gta 6 and red dead redemption 2, yes.

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    My ability to predict consumer trends is poor at the best of times (this current trend coming very much out of left field for me). I can see this being a bubble but there is also the chance enough people will capitalise upon it to produce something of some small merit anyway. I also relies upon the crack epidemic among android developers and publishers to continue unabated and emulation of the switch to in turn not get far on another portable.

Right now it is in absolutely no danger of supplanting the DS in my heart. Has not got the games, has not the charm and anybody likely to do great things with it would probably be hobbling themselves by limiting themselves to the Switch. Earlier someone said it had a great first year... not even close for me. I would expect several times the volume of top notch games to be coming out to make such a claim.

Anything which can take low latency input, put out some graphics and do some calculations in the middle has potential to be all that and more, though there are things you can do to help that (most of which run "see the wii u? Do the opposite of that"). From what I can see the Switch is not as bad as the wii u but hardly doing all it can and faces very stiff competition, not to mention has some dark clouds on the horizon.

Were I a developer I would probably be looking at the switch in terms of install base and existing games as to whether I try my hand at it. Nothing about the hardware excites me in the slightest and it is not even a particularly slick offering that I could streamline a game onto. I would equally not chastise any dev/pub for looking at it and thinking "nah" before going on to do android, PC and the PS4bone.

Earlier the idea of different metrics was spoken of. My preferred one for whether I want to take the leap is "exclusives are a bad thing and I don't like it, however in spite of that would the console allow me to experience a broad slice of gaming at the time?". The DS had that, the 3ds did not. There is some small chance that said exclusives or effective exclusives generate a library worth looking into (the gamecube kind of had this) but if it is only likely to be Nintendo first party and captive devs then nope.

The problem with bubbles is it will probably draw out the death of it and that means even longer until we potentially see something actually interesting.

12. Lazyt

Lazyt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2011
    but it already is

13. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    Its a shame. Im a nintendo fanboy. But I cant handle the crappy build quality. So no switch for me until a switch with proper Build quality has been released.

14. socialbacon

socialbacon Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    Canada
    Let's not forget the DS family sold just over 154 million units. I don't think they'll top that with the Switch.

15. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Wait til a mainline Pokemon game is released.

HaloEliteLegend and TheGreek Boy like this.
  16. Memoir

Memoir FTS I'm Out

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Go Fuck Yourself
    The Switch has plenty of time to at least try.

DarthDub and HaloEliteLegend like this.
  17. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I doubt it will sell more than the Wii, but it's not impossible.

I HIGHLY doubt it will sell more than the Nintendo DS though.

sks316 likes this.
  18. Carnelian

Carnelian GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    It will never beat the PS4 nor the PS2.

19. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    No, unless some miracles are done with hardware and software from this point on. Which I doubt.

But like all Nintendo hardware, Nintendo will be smiling when forced to reduce the price, unlike its competitors who have less room to move. Right now, Switch is quite overpriced & a less-than-ideal hybrid of the 'portable' and home console worlds. Probably Nintendo's last gimmick. But the potential is there for massive price reductions in the future, without bleeding.

Version 2 Switch hardware and software support in 2 years will be very interesting to watch though. Same with Version 3.

Lucky for them that Sony is no longer selling the Vita. If people are buying like they say, there is no need to reduce the price, so good for them & their investors. But I don't think we have seen a truly excellent Switch portable, nor a powerful home console that would worry its competitors. With the increasing popularity of 4K from here on out, the Switch is not immune from the Wii's longer-term problems.

RedBlueGreen likes this.
  20. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    I doubt it'll be the best selling. Though I'm more interested in how many people will actually use it frequently. Just sales numbers doesn't tell us how many people actually use it, it just tells how many people bought it (and if it turns out anything like the 3DS some people will have multiples). I live in a relatively small town and I've already seen them used stores. Software sales, title releases, and player retention are much more important imo.

I mean everyone I know with a Wii just uses it for homebrew and piracy despite how well it did, and there's no shortage of used ones. The Wii U is a failure all around. Few noteworthy releases, low sales, poor marketing, limited storage space among other things.

While the Switch is selling very quickly I don't expect it to keep up. I'm not saying people will stop buying it, but because of the hype I think a lot of people who really wanted one have bought it already.

foob likes this.