Homebrew Wiiware / VC ISO Forwarders made easy

Tristar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Since nicklessguy's discovery that the dx2v7 alpha/beta cIOS are once again compatible with Triiforce, I done a little testing myself
The latest (r92) Triiforce seem pretty stable with this range too so I'll udate the loader to rev 92 :) when I get the chance.

Reactions: 1 person

hellboy2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since nicklessguy's discovery that the dx2v7 alpha/beta cIOS are once again compatible with Triiforce, I done a little testing myself
The latest (r92) Triiforce seem pretty stable with this range too so I'll udate the loader to rev 92 :) when I get the chance.
wohoooo
thanks tristar
can`t wait for your update. :bow:

piolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi Tristar, I've created the emulated NAND, added wads, created isos and the isos are correctly recognized by Cfg USB Loader. But I get always a black screen. I *CAN* use normal TriiForce (r82) with the same emulated NAND on root of USB but I want to use Cfg USB Loader also for Wiiware/VC for having covers etc.
My configuration is
System Menu 3.2E (I have obviously an old wii, and I use 3.2E with priiloader hacks because is the only way to move savegames from/to SD ALWAYS for ALL games; the 3.3 and older, ALSO WITH PRIILOADER HACKS, allow moving some savegames -ex: Monster Hunter Tri- from Wii to SD but NOT from SD to Wii; the 3.2 always allow it)
All (or close to all, at least) standard IOS updated (except obviously for the system menu based IOS and the STUB ones)
Hermes v4 cIOS on 222 & 223
Hermes v5.1 cIOS on 224
Waninkoko rev21 on 247, 248, 249 & 250 (with different based IOS)
d2x cIOS (the last one, I don't remember the number :D) on 245 & 246
Waninkoko rev14 on 199
cIOS for MediaPlayer on 202
cIOS 236 (copy of 36 for some homebrew)
Boot2v4 with BootMii *AND* Priiloader

Yes I know it's a lot of things but in this way I have a BIG compatibility. Except for your great wad2iso. :-(

I have two HD of 2TB: one WD MyBook Essential (old model USB2.0 of course, working with TriiForce) and one WD Elements (always USB2.0, apparently not working with TriiForce).
The partition table is the same: one little FAT32 for homebrew, emulators, wads and utilities, and one big NTFS partition with Wii ISOs (I've A-L ISOson the MyBook and M-Z ISOs on the Elements).

If I substitute the Loader.dol (=black screen) with the last triiforce.dol (I don't find the r84 .dol), I can start it, but it start without arguments (passed by USB loader -> ISO of the game), and allowing only real NAND and not emulated one (nor SD, nor USB).
If I start normally Triiforce (r84, I don't have tried the last one) from Homebrew Channel, I repeat, it starts normally and I can select the games from Real NAND, from SD NAND and from USB NAND. And it works. But Triiforce interface (at least the r84) really sucks, the games aren't in alphabetical order and I don't want to be mad searching for it (yes they are A LOT of games :D).
I've also tried the last version of Loader.dol (697.056 bytes instead of 686.560) but without good results.
I've tried also using the FAT32 partition for ISOs instead of the NTFS but is the same, black screen.
The loader is in the right path, because if I move it the Wii says can't find it, but if it's in right path, I got only a black screen. :(

Please help me, if you need other infos ask for them without problems.
Thank you very much for all your attention.

Tristar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
When the ISO forwarder reults in a black screen, it usually indicates that the wrong video settings are applied.

change the settings in your usb loader to use 222-mload to load your ISO forwarders
I can only confirm that Triiforce will work with d2x56v7alpha5 (or beta) or cIOS38 r14 or cIOS38 r17 in 249

copy the nandgames folder into your apps directory and rename loader.dol to boot.dol

then from HBC load the boot.dol from nandgames

select usb nand and wait for it to scan for titles

check through the titles and see that it has been able to find the titles on your usb nand

If not - then wad2iso only creates shortcuts to Triiforce. If Triiforce can't load the titles then your shortcuts cannot work (you would need to change your configuration)

If it does list titles then, one by one, see if the title loads and note what video setting you needed to make it work
Use the same setting when you create your ISO and it will work

Looking at your setup, I would also try making the ISO forwarders and choose cIOS 199 from the options then Triiforce will be using cIOS38 rev14

Just a case of trial and error to suit your configuraion - best of luck ;)

piolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is strange: the Triiforce (Loader.dol) from NandGames, in apps folder loaded from HBC works normally (I've tested World of Goo and it starts) with DEFAULT options:
wad2iso1.jpg

It loads on cIOS249 (it says I've d2x56v6 on 249 and maybe it's right, 'cause a lot of time ago I've used pimpmywii). Then I think my problem isn't on Triiforce side.
On wad2iso, I've tried to re-create the ISOs for World of Goo, changing the standard options (choosing ok), changing the ios to 199 instead of 249
wad2iso2.jpg

(obviously selecting "Apply Displayed Options to Selected Files" before closing window) and also forcing the PAL576i, but never. Copying the ISO on HD with WiiBackupManager (not the last version, but it works for all the ISOs I have, then I don't think is the problem), loading the ISO with Cfg USB Loader, I've tried loading it with all options about IOS. With Hermes cIOS load but black screen, with some of Waninkoko cIOS load and says "Can't find Loader.dol" (obviously is in right place, 'cause if I remove/rename it, it says don't find ALSO with Hermes cIOS).
I can't select cIOS 199 directly on Cfg USB Loader (maybe I can doing it changing the config.txt but I'm not sure if can really works).
If you're sure about working with Hermes cIOS, I really don't know what to do.
If you think it's a problem of cIOS, please say me if I can try to install it on slot 245 or 246, I think I can sacrifice one of them (I must before watch the list of based ios for not losing important things, surely you know some games require cIOS based on "strange" ios, ie the last Call of Duty).
If it's a problem of ISO... I can maybe sent to you so you can test it.
After this, I can imagine only two causes:
1) My wii/HD/sysmenu/cIOS are compatible with Triiforce and with Cfg USB Loader but NOT with wad2iso
2) Wad2iso have a big problem
and I'm starting thing the #1 is correct :(

Tristar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The d2x56v7beta1 works for me in slot 249. The ISO forwarders load best with 222-mload v4. I have only one title that crashes (still loads but crashes after the loading screen) with this arrangement, so I load cIOS38r17b from slot 199 and it works.

There will be many different variants and one might be the fact that you are using System Menu 3.2E. I cannot say for sure because I am using System Menu 4.2E.

Just look at the configuration that you have listed and compare it to the configuration being reported as working, they are different.

The machines are physically the same, the ISO forwarders produced will be the same, the only thing that differs from machine to machine is the configuration used to launch the forwarders. (Well the emu nand could be a problem, but if loader.dol is allowing you to run the games, that's not your problem...)

Also, if you are using CFG loader try using v68d to see if it makes any difference ;)

// EDIT:
I've just tried with d2x56v6 in slot 249 and, like you, the ISO forwarders blackscreen.
Once I restore slot 249 with d2x56v7beta1 then loading with 222-mload is again successful,

bigballs1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Massive THANKYOU to tristar for your truely great app ;) I`ve been using it for a while and I must say, i`m glad we can now use d2x v7 with it :D

1 question..... is there a way to make the isos work under d2x v7 without having to change each iso`s boot to 222 ?

Tristar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Up to CFG loader v68d, they all load fine booting with 249.

Any version later than 68d the loading fails unless you load with 222/223 or set 'block IOS reload' to off (so either way you have to alter a setting for each ISO forwarder)

But don't forget they didn't work at all with d2x v6 so who knows what a later development will bring ;)

Reactions: 1 person

piolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've updated the d2x to 56v7beta1 on slot 249 and now finally it works if I launch the game using cIOS Hermes v4 on 222 :) Thanks, thanks and again thanks :)

But I've now another thing, obviously if you can: all games says memory of Wii is full. Obviously the HD FAT32 partition (where's the emulated NAND) is not full (I've about other 5 GB free) and the Real NAND isn't full.
Yes I know it's probably because my emulated NAND is very full (all emulated NAND folders are over 12 GB), I mean, all that games absolutely NOT be installed on a real NAND, and maybe it consider the standard NAND space (512 MB) and not the media where the emulated NAND is (tipically a lot of GB).
Considering I don't want deleting games, I imagine two ways for solution:
1) Triiforce always consider (reserving) a lot of blocks available for savegames every time it's launched (at least until the real HD space it's available)
2) Triiforce use emulated NAND for launching games, and real NAND for savegames (in this way I can see it my savegames on wii menu and moving it on SD if I want).
Sincerely I prefer the first solution, 'cause I want use write on real NAND as less as I can. :)

This problem is bad 'cause, if most games can start without saving, some games (ie: Tales of Monkey Island) don't start at all, saying the memory is full, and suggesting remove something.
I don't know if you can do something, if it's a bug of Triiforce (as I think) or it's possible to hack in command line passed by wad2iso.
It's a bad bug 'cause one of cool thing of an emulated NAND is the capacity of the media, allowing using more than standard 512MB NAND.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Up to CFG loader v68d, they all load fine booting with 249.

Any version later than 68d the loading fails unless you load with 222/223 or set 'block IOS reload' to off (so either way you have to alter a setting for each ISO forwarder)

But don't forget they didn't work at all with d2x v6 so who knows what a later development will bring ;)
This is good to know; has USB Loader GX or Wiiflow been tested with same results?

As for extra verification CFG v70 will load these ISO forwarders as long as you set block IOS reload=off and just just for v68d. CFGv70 block ios reload=off (exactly what I needed to do)

I still wish someone could modTriiforce to load emu-nand from w/in a nand folder in root of sd or usb. As it stands there are only 3 wads I would like to have as iso forwarders but I do not wish to clutter up my hdd with countless folders LoL

Thanks for updating the app and hopefully future d2x builds wont break iso compatibility here.

Tristar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I really can't do anything about the way Triiforce works - any requests should be directed toward the developers of Triiforce.

Wad2ISO simply produces shortcuts to Triiforce and passes on the options you have chosen.

I have found a few titles that have problems with the d2x setup but, for now, all I can suggest is what I have done, which is to keep
cIOS38rev17b in slot 199 and use this for problem titles.

Maybe the problem titles will disappear once the dx2 cIOS is out of beta ;)

piolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Triiforce staff says it's caused by cIOS/nand emu issues: http://code.google.c...ail?id=26&can=1
Maybe I've a workaround but is annoying: installing only a lot of games, launching it so can create the savegame, then deleting it and installing other, and continuing until the end of games. Then, installing all games on a NAND with all savegames already on.
I've not tried yet but "logically" it would be ok. BTW I'll before try launching triiforce cIOS 199 without passing from usb loader and wad2iso, maybe it works without problems for creating savegame and AFTER launching that game from wad2iso.
I'm sure it working BEFORE the NAND is so full of games, but I've recreated the NAND dump and copying all wads on it, then I don't know yet if it works again copying games after creating of savegames.
The best thing would be something creating savegames (also empties) from PC all in one things (I don't know if it's possible), without launching all games one at a time.
Thanks again, btw.

bigballs1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
or set 'block IOS reload' to off (so either way you have to alter a setting for each ISO forwarder)

Thanks for waking me up. It`ll be easier to set my loader default to "off" for block ios reload, and just enable it for games that require it ;)

piolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've verified the problem of memory full is caused by d2x7beta1.
A workaround is opening triiforce not via wad2iso with d2x6, and running games you want to play after.
Next, install d2x7beta1 (or d2x7alpha5), and you can play that games without problems, also saving.
But, I now have (not knowing why) a lot of "ISFS_Open: title ........ /data/banner.bin failed (-106)". and I don't know how and if I can fix it (no, recreate the nand isn't a good solution). If someone a good solution for this... I can't exclude this problem has been done by an old version of triiforce that I've used for testing. I hope seriously it's fixable.

In conclusion:
d2x6final: you can play all games directly from triiforce, but probably this corrupt the emulated nand saying all these "banner.bin failed" :\
d2x7beta1: you can play from triiforce and from wad2iso (=and from your favorite usb loader) the games without saving.

Problem: not all games apparently comes into triiforce menu: I don't see the Monkey Island series and can't load it from triiforce directly, but I know I've installed it, and I see it in USB loader, but if I can't start before with d2x6final, I can't play in d2x7beta1, and from USB loader I can't load with d2x6final 'cause isn't compatible with wad2iso (black screen).
If someone know the official thread of d2x creator, please let him know this. And about banner.bin errors on triiforce... I hope someone can help me.

Thanks again.

Tristar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure the answers / compatibility will come, but I think we must remember that we are using beta cIOSes.

It wasn't so long ago that it was rev17 or nothing ;)

piolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know it and I'm not criticizing the good work of you for wad2iso, and Triiforce team, and d2x team.
I would have only an utility on PC side for creating all right banner.bin into title\00010001\\data directory. I can create it using Triiforce on Wii launching it on d2x6 final but they're over 800 of them! :P (I've already explained my emulated NAND is over 12 GB)
Don't exist a way, an utility for PC (maybe an hack for ShowMiiWads? I don't know), for creating all banner.bin in one time and putting into right directory of emulated NAND? In this way, I don't have to create it manually and I can use d2x7beta1 with wad2iso and Cfg USB Loader. Also if it's slow, I can leave my PC powered on, but I don't want lose my life launching 800 games manually only for creating files less than 100 KB each.
I don't think it's possible to copy one of them into other directory: I've examinated it and they're different, in bytes, and if not in bytes in crc. Then I don't think it's possible to use one for all.
They're lot bytes (less than 100 KB each) but don't allow me to use my emulated NAND at best of its possibility. :(

piolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Apparently I'm using the d2x v7 alpha5 and not the beta1... I've searched on it also using an installer of d2x saying "beta1d" but Triiforce says always it's the alpha5. I notice this 'cause the changelog of beta 1 says:
[ cIOSX d2x v7beta1 ]

- emu nand re-enabled after ios reload (for wii games only, not for ww/vc)
- fixed "no space available" error when using a big emu nand
- Implemented bidirectional escape of invalid FAT chars
- Automatic selection of the 1st FAT partition when no partition has been specified
- Fixed a bug when closing FAT module
- Automatically creates folders required by partial emu
At this point now I request if it's normal Triiforce recognize (in first screen of Triiforce) the d2x beta1 as alpha5. If not, then maybe this is the solution, also if all links I've for beta1 point to installer of beta1 that install the alpha5. :(

Edit: maybe I've found it (now triiforce says its beta1) but is the same of the alpha5 and the date of the files is about sep.18 2011 then probably is an alpha5 renamed. I would have a .wad "official" but I think they don't distribute it.
I don't know if I'm unlucked with the beta1, or the beta1 don't fix what says he fix... but the result is the same:
1) errors about banner.bin on triiforce start (not so important but I don't like it)
2) game not played before on v6 final (games with banner.bin not present) = "your memory is full", is the same if I launch them directly by triiforce or passing by Cfg USB Loader via Wad2ISO
3) game played before on v6 final (games with banner.bin present) = playables, directly on Triiforce or on Cfg USB Loader

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof