Hacking WiiFrii 2.0 - Wii Full Region Free

phreakymonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to patch Rayman Raving Rabbids to work on my Japanese Wii (it came with 3.4J, but I downgraded to 3.2J). I have a Wiikey 2, and so far, this is the only game I haven't been able to patch to get to work from the Disc Channel. I can load them from GeckoOS/Backup Launcher, but I got a modchip so I wouldn't have to mess with that stuff and I'd really prefer to find another solution.

So far I've patched it with WGLPv2, with WiiJunkies, with WiiFrii, and different combinations of the three. Every time I get an "Eject disc and shut off your Wii" error.

Other games that didn't work unpatched, like Cooking Mama, Super Mario Galaxy, and Boom Blox work fine now, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

stayingarmed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like a wiikey 2 problem because you shouldn't have to do ANY patching or anything with a modchip.....1:1 copies should work fine. Have you tried updating the wiikey?

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
syst3merror said:
sounds like a wiikey 2 problem because you shouldn't have to do ANY patching or anything with a modchip.....1:1 copies should work fine. Have you tried updating the wiikey?

agreed, two things:

-did you try it unpatched at all?
-sometimes language setting makes a difference...which is where geckoOS is actually the easier option
(ex: Disaster (JAP) wouldn't work on mine without language change (to the game's default language, not the one I wished it was)

ps: wiikey is lame

phreakymonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
syst3merror said:
The chip has the latest firmware, version 1.2.

Patching is required to block updates (unless the modchip has an update blocker) and override language and video settings if the game is from a different region. Games without updates from the same region as your console should work fine unpatched. I am trying to play a NTSC-U game on a NTSC-J console.

QUOTE(noobwarrior7 @ Dec 5 2008, 12:26 AM) agreed, two things:

-did you try it unpatched at all?
-sometimes language setting makes a difference...which is where geckoOS is actually the easier option
(ex: Disaster (JAP) wouldn't work on mine without language change (to the game's default language, not the one I wished it was)

ps: wiikey is lame
I did try it unpatched, and got a black screen.

You're right, the language settings do make a difference... which is why I am trying to patch the iso.

For now, GeckoOS/Backup Launcher work, so it's not a dire emergency, but I'd like to A) be able to just stick the disc in and play and B) figure out why this is happening in case I run into the same problem in the future.

bebs

Trophies
XP
Country
dan92 said:
what happens if i load a pal game in a ntsc wii with wiigator's backup loader?

nothing, wiigator's BL includes geckoos you just have to force Ntsc if your wii is.

jimijam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It keeps crashing on me in vista.
I cannot even do the first step
frown.gif

redrumbrg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
has anyone been able to get professor heinz gravity game to work using this program? the game is pal but no one seems to be able to get this game to function on a ntsc u console.

ShadowWii-Wii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm driving myself nuts trying to get the Pal version of New Play Control Pikmin to work on my NTSC Wii with Backup Loader Gamma. I tried WiiFrii but it just boots to a green screen >.

momoko

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi everyone
moogle.gif
i have a question , i got wiifrii 2.3b got the common-key (called it common-key) and put the key into the same folder than the wiifrii i start wiifrii, put the iso into it , press enter and the window close.... and nothing happen after that so what do i wrong (btw i have windows XP) and i use a wii with homebrew channel got trough twlight hack, using wiigator.. can anyone help me pls >

sexconker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's crashing at step 1 (reading main.dol) make sure you have the common key in the same directory as wiifrii.
Make sure it is named either "common-key", "ckey.bin", or "key.bin".

It can NOT be named "common-key.bin".
(This is what was causing the problem for me - I just assumed .bin would be accepted.)

If it is named common-key, and still not working, you may have known file extensions set to not show (and bin registered as a known file extension).

Name the file "common-key".
If that doesn't work, name it "ckey.bin".
If that doesn't work, then post here about it.

Ferinthul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Isnt working for me..I tried naming it common-key and ckey.bin and key.bin but all i get when i open it is the path that i opened it and

@@ press any button to continue and when i try putting the game iso in the doesnt do anything.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

raven2c

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sexconker said:
If it's crashing at step 1 (reading main.dol) make sure you have the common key in the same directory as wiifrii.
Make sure it is named either "common-key", "ckey.bin", or "key.bin".

It can NOT be named "common-key.bin".
(This is what was causing the problem for me - I just assumed .bin would be accepted.)

If it is named common-key, and still not working, you may have known file extensions set to not show (and bin registered as a known file extension).

Name the file "common-key".
If that doesn't work, name it "ckey.bin".
If that doesn't work, then post here about it.

Can you please assist me to the right direction to find the key. I am having a difficult time fining it.
Thank you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: